LL/AEC Demo Kit

For discussion of the Labyrinth Lord Society, Society events, or anything else Society related.

Re: LL/AEC Demo Kit

Postby Eldrad » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Okay just downloaded and took a look at the Dyson Delve Geomorphs and they far exceed my expectations! 18 freaking pages! Yeow!

Wow! Let's start making some 1-100 monster and treasure listings.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!
Eldrad

Postby Blood axe » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:33 pm

18 pages and 100+ encounters is a "demo" ??!! Id hate to see the real, full-size thing..... ;)

But seriously, maybe a demo should be smaller.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:28 pm

Blood axe wrote:18 pages and 100+ encounters is a "demo" ??!! Id hate to see the real, full-size thing..... ;)

I agree. If I were going to demo a game to someone new, I'd use something light and quick that could be run in 2-3 hours. A fair amount of time would be spent explaining mechanics and terminology. Keeping it quick and simple with an adventure hook, the adventure, and the subsequent reward would give people new to the game a complete life cycle introduction.
Mark

Postby Aplus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:26 pm

The Lost Tomb of Jarmun-Riis from page 58 of the 2009 one-page dungeon contest is currently the leading contender for my demo game. It needs some tweaks to be certain, but the overall setup seems to be a good candidate for a 4-hr delve.
people them with monsters of various horrid aspect
Aplus

Postby Eldrad » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 pm

That would be a good one a one page dungeon!
So anybody want to start posting 20 first level characters?
Eldrad

Postby finarvyn » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Mark wrote:
Blood axe wrote:18 pages and 100+ encounters is a "demo" ??!! Id hate to see the real, full-size thing..... ;)

I agree. If I were going to demo a game to someone new, I'd use something light and quick that could be run in 2-3 hours.
I agree that an LL demo should be short and sweet. I would think that some simple rules, basic pregens and a quick adventure would work out just fine.

To me, the big question is whether you are going to assume that the user has any RPG experience at all. I think I'd aim the rules at a player who has seen 3E or 4E and wants to roll back to the early days. Otherwise you get stuck in "what is a RPG" mode.

Just my two coppers.
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby skullsplitter » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:01 pm

I think a one page dungeon is the right way to go as I know time is at a premium for me with two of my own kids! 2-3 hours is about right also, as I know that where I would be doing a demo it gets very noisy with the 40k and Magic folks. I'd make the plot simple: go in and kill everything in sight! Well why not? That's how most of my friends and I played it, and to be honest it's just fun, good, old fashioned mayhem at it's finest! As far as pregenerated characters go make them capable of doing cool things. A wizard should be able to chuck a fireball! I'd have 2 of each class/race for a total of 14, with a couple extra fighters foor good measure. Not sure if I'd let the caracters have magic items though. I would definately use minis and floorplans to play out the adventure, even if I had to make them myself. (HINT make PDF tiles for the dungeon) I would also show the gamers where the store has the game for sale, and the info about the free rules online.

I think a different approach for new gamers, and particularly young gamers, is in order. I think a session on creating a character, and playing the starter dungeon in the rules would be a good way to go. A follow up adventure might get them involved with the surrounding world like the Larm module.
skullsplitter

Postby Blood axe » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Im not sure about a Wizard starting with Fireball. A new player will be use to that power. That has to be earned- unless you always start at Level 5.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:07 am

Blood axe wrote:Im not sure about a Wizard starting with Fireball. A new player will be use to that power. That has to be earned- unless you always start at Level 5.

I agree w/BA here; however, you could start the new wizard w/x-# of fireball scrolls? It could be enough # of them to last them until they get the spell, if they're frugal with their use? So, basically, use them w/o regard = no fireball when you need them, or use them frugally and have a surplus when the wizard becomes the appropriate level?

Just my two copper.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Eldrad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:26 am

The geomorphs could be used for as short or as long of an into game as you need. The 100 encounters are akin to the monsters and treasures assortment from back in the day. Both combined could make an always random but easy to play demo.
BUT
A single one page demo would be fine as well.
MAYBE
Make the geomorph and the 100 random encounters a secondary demo kit.
Eldrad

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord Society