MarsCon 2011 Adventure

For discussion of the Labyrinth Lord Society, Society events, or anything else Society related.

MarsCon 2011 Adventure

Postby Thoth Amon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:34 am

I am planning on running a game of LL-OEC at MarsCon this year. If any of you are around feel free to join me.
Thoth Amon

Re: MarsCon 2011 Adventure

Postby scadgrad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey Thoth, I'm here in Richmond and just noticed the announcement for MarsCon on the meetup board. Where are you located at? If in Richmond, send me some damn players. :)
scadgrad

Postby Thoth Amon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm in Norfolk, VA - a bit too long of a commute. ;)
Thoth Amon

Postby Thoth Amon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:15 pm

I am now officially ready to referee some LL in two weeks!

Thoth Amon

Postby Thoth Amon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Bump. This weekend, folks.
Thoth Amon

Postby scadgrad » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Sad to say, but I don't think our group will make it down to the Tidewater this weekend. My bro-in-law and his fam are coming in for a visit. Epic bad timing. :(
scadgrad

Postby petespahn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:36 am

Used to live in Norfolk back in the 80s. Campaign HQ at Wards Corner was my flgs. Where is MarsCon?

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby petespahn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:40 am

Ah nevermind. I see. I'll be in Williamsburg in April but I'll be taking the kids to Busch Gardens.

How did the game go?

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Thoth Amon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:28 pm

petespahn wrote:Used to live in Norfolk back in the 80s. Campaign HQ at Wards Corner was my flgs. Where is MarsCon?

Pete

Campaign HQ is now called Atlantis Comics. Same location.
Thoth Amon

Postby Thoth Amon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Here are the LL-specific photos I took:

Set up.

The players.

Them again.

Group shot after the game. I'm in the middle back, wearing a Last Starfighter T-shirt.

I have some other pictures, not LL-related, posted on Dragonsfoot.

The adventure I call Silver Roc Point. Here is a short recap of what happened:

Five players gamed, each starting with one character (I had ten pre-gens total). The original line up was two fighters, a cleric, and two magic-users.

The adventurers find the entrance to the caverns after searching for a day. It is only visible at low tide, is a sea cave, and covered with sea weed. They enter the cave and start exploring. Immediately, they find a skeleton encrusted with calcium and mineral deposits. One of the characters notices a bracelet on the skeleton and takes it off, breaking it in the process.

They continue on into a huge cavern where one of the characters is killed by one of the two sea serpents - I believe one of the magic-users. The serpents are dispatched and the characters take one of the exits from the lair. The player with the dead magic-user brings up a new character, another cleric this time.

This passage slopes up and brings them above the water line, into a cavern stacked with hundreds of skeletons. They spend some time searching and realize that nothing valuable is in the burial mound. Continuing on the group finds a cavern with a fresh water spring and decide to use it as their base of operations while exploring.

Deciding to skip a couple of side passages, they follow a large passage into a massive chamber littered with bits of food, small stones and broken pottery. They notice an 8-foot high ledge running the length of one wall and boost the remaining magic-user up. Unbeknownst to the group, four morlocks are stationed on the ledge as guards. The massive cavern is their home. The magic-user takes a club blow to the head, but thinking quickly, she casts a web spell capturing all of the guards. After slitting their throats, the party looks around and finds a tunnel leading from the ledge. Taking it they surprise the six wives of the morlock chieftain tending a huge fire and relaxing. They attack with missile weapons and most of the morlocks die. The one who lives starts hollering bloody murder and the cleric charges her to silence her.

A door on the east wall opens and the morlock chief, who is far bigger, and also armored and armed with a sword, charges the party. The magic-user's player, again thinking quickly, uses her other web spell and webs the chief to the door frame. The cleric, by this time is engaged in melee with the last morlock wife and rolling quite poorly. One of the fighters, in a fit of stupidity, throws a hand axe at the morlock wife. I told the player that if he misses, he then has to roll to attack the cleric (AC 9). He misses the morlock and buries his axe in the cleric's back, knocking her unconscious but not dead. The second fighter, by this time, has arrived in melee range with the morlock wife and kills her easily.

Reviving the cleric, who promptly heals herself, the party explores the chief's room, after running him through with spears and cutting down the webbing. Not finding anything they are interested in, the party heads back the way they came. From the ledge they see a couple dozen morlocks in the huge cavern, hanging out around fires and just chilling. The party avoids them and heads back up towards the watering hole to recuperate. They notice a passage north out of the huge cavern and will explore it later.

A wandering monster (rust monster) is rolled and the characters see "an armadillo like creature slowly approaching you". Not sure what it is, they slowly back in the huge cavern, climb up to the ledge and wait. The rust monster isn't interested in the morlock camp and turns around. The characters wait a long time and then follow it. They get to the fresh water cavern and spend the night. Another wandering monster (three giant flies) occurs during the night but the sentry ignores them and they just drink some water and leave.

The characters decide to explore some side passages and enter a semi-dry chamber with a lot of fungus growing. While wandering, another wandering monster happens upon them, a gray ooze. The fighter with the magic +1 spear attacks, damaging the ooze but his spear is now a normal spear. The only exit from the room is on the opposite side, surrounded by fungus and the characters use that exit. Several semi-aquatic shriekers start shrieking and the characters decide to run down the hallway... right into the waiting claws and stingers of four giant scorpions. Two more characters die the first round and a third makes his save vs. poison. The party reverses direction and runs back the way they came. Rushing through the shrieker room, the party meets up in the sea serpent lair and two more characters just "happen by" to help out (replacing the two who have died from the scorpions).

With her web spells replenished, the magic-user wants another crack at the scorpions. They party ventures to the scorpion lair and the magic-user now casts the spell she is getting known for. All four scorpions fail their saves and are webbed for a short time. By the time they can break free, the party has dispatched them with javelins, arrows, and spears. Not bothering to search the lair, the characters plunder their former comrades for useful equipment and continue on.

The next chamber they reach, the party surprises two aquatic trolls. They decide not to engage and instead backtrack to the huge morlock lair and take the other passage out of there.

The party enters the tracker lair, where the morlocks keep their pet trackers (albino apes). The party attacks with missile weapons and one of the players has his character throw a potion of slipperiness at the apes. I roll a d6 and see that 4 of the apes can be affected, roll saving throws and all four are slipping and sliding in a pile. The other two apes are killed and the four in the oil are killed with arrows and thrown axes.

Continuing on, the party reaches some ancient double doors that haven't been opened in millennium. The magic user casts Knock and the doors open, leading to a temple. There is a statue of Poseidon on one side and one of Osiris on the opposite wall. Two sarcophagi stand beside the doors and an altar is long the north wall, two more doors lead out of the room. One of the characters opens a sarcophagus, releasing the mummy therein. The mummy hits one character, giving him mummy rot before the cleric can turn the undead. Deciding to ignore the other sarcophagus, one character wants to look at the altar as the other characters open the doors. One door leads to a hallway and the other to the vestry. As soon as the altar is touched, both sarcophagi open and now two mummies attack. One character finds some daggers made of an unknown metal in the vestry (steel) and one character flees through the second door. The others attack the money with firepots and torches, barely damaging them. A second character contracts mummy rot before they all flee through the door.

Walking along the passage (the mummies do not leave the temple) they open a door, and a black pudding has a near miss falling on the first cleric. The party slams the door and continues on. They find another door and open it. It is to a bed chamber with a chest at the foot of the bed. The chest, the floor around it and part of the bed is covered with a yellow dust. The second cleric hits the chest with an axe and the yellow mold kills him. A fighter with a spear pushes the body out of the way and tips the chest over, away from the mold. Inside is a set of magic greaves, a breastplate and a helmet.

Four hours have gone by now and the game ends.
Thoth Amon

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord Society