Player Races

Player Races

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:36 pm

In the core rules we have Terrans, Taurans, Andromedans, Rigel, and Daelans. I added the Daelans myself, but I think they will probably not make the cut after playtest just because I want to make room for the addition races from our IndieGoGo backers. Also I want to keep the Prelude brief--my goal is to have the background info and politics brief so it doesn't bog referees down in perceived setting obligations. I personally find that overwhelming, and frankly I think it is one reason Prime Directive has only enjoyed meager success. There is just too much background stuff to keep track of.

It has been mentioned that the Zangids would make a good PC race. I agree, but in the core rules I would like to keep it to the aliens who are members of the Confederacy only. Keep in mind the Rigel are essentially Zangid/human hybrids. If we make Zangids a PC race in the core rules it opens a can of worms to detail the way Zangid Empire classes may differ, etc. and I think I'd like to reserve that for an expansion.

What about other hybrids? Naturally people will want to make Tauran/human hybrids. In Star Trek, aside from his emotions, Spock functioned basically like a full Vulcan. Should we add Half-Taurans? If so, I think that would be the only hybrid I would want to add to the core rules.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Re: Player Races

Postby rsaintjohn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Personally, I agree with all of the above. The Daelans are not yet all that interesting, but could probably be made so and (as enemies of the Zangids*), might be further developed in a future Zangid Empire supplement (think of the FASA Klingon box set). I would hate to see this universe become a needlessly deep as the SFU.

Not sure about hybrids, or a general hybrid rule. Need to give some thought to that.

* btw, you might want to check for consistency throughout the book on the use of "Zangid" vs "Zangids". I think I noticed one or two inconsistencies while reading last night.
Robert
--
Cleveland, OH (the other Final Frontier)
rsaintjohn

Postby Wizardawn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:In the core rules we have Terrans, Taurans, Andromedans, Rigel, and Daelans.

I've stated it elsewhere, but Terrans and Taurans are too similar in look and pronunciation.

Goblinoid Games wrote:It has been mentioned that the Zangids would make a good PC race. I agree, but in the core rules I would like to keep it to the aliens who are members of the Confederacy only. Keep in mind the Rigel are essentially Zangid/human hybrids. If we make Zangids a PC race in the core rules it opens a can of worms to detail the way Zangid Empire classes may differ, etc. and I think I'd like to reserve that for an expansion.

This idea is also reminiscent when that Dragon Magazine released the information for you to make Sathar in Star Frontiers.

Goblinoid Games wrote:What about other hybrids? Naturally people will want to make Tauran/human hybrids. In Star Trek, aside from his emotions, Spock functioned basically like a full Vulcan. Should we add Half-Taurans? If so, I think that would be the only hybrid I would want to add to the core rules.

I understand why this was asked (Spock, K'Ehleyr, and Deanna Troi), but like Half-Elves/Half-Orcs, you have to make another race entry for each of these combinations. I am not sure if you have a page (or race) count in mind and how this affects that.
Wizardawn

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Wizardawn wrote:I've stated it elsewhere, but Terrans and Taurans are too similar in look and pronunciation.

I'll think about this a bit...how about Earthmen?
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Just a heads up for the Admirals :D

Mario has submitted a race that I think we have more or less finalized, called the Gorrans, a lizard-man-like race. Just an FYI in case anyone else was thinking along similar lines. With Mario's permission I'll post his write-up in the forum.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Wizardawn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:
Wizardawn wrote:I've stated it elsewhere, but Terrans and Taurans are too similar in look and pronunciation.

Humans? Earthens? Earthans? Don't be shy about Humans. It is simple and goes in line with LL & MF.

Goblinoid Games wrote:Mario has submitted a race that I think we have more or less finalized, called the Gorrans, a lizard-man-like race. Just an FYI in case anyone else was thinking along similar lines. With Mario's permission I'll post his write-up in the forum.

You go for it! Now that is it pretty much finalized, it is yours to use.
Wizardawn

Postby rsaintjohn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:

I'm not at all the politically correct type, but that leaves out the women :lol:

With respect, I don't see it as a big issue, and I know Dan's just taking "Terrans" directly from the '78 1E. I guess I'd prefer not to see it change. But "Humans" is probably the best alternative, especially when players go to abbreviate the Race (like on character sheet index cards)
Robert
--
Cleveland, OH (the other Final Frontier)
rsaintjohn

Postby Goblinoid Games » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Humans is certainly doable, and I do worry a little bit about political correctness. I use the male pronoun in my books generally just because it's easier and I don't like the so-called grammatical alternatives, but naming practices should probably be more neutral where possible.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Methuslah » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:30 am

I must admit I rather like the Daelans, but perhaps they would work as well in the 'humanoids' section as a possible encounter/threat race rather than a PC race. What might be an option is to include the list of requirements and adjustments in the write-ups in the humanoid section; that keeps the PC races section uncluttered but leaves the option open to anyone wanting to play one.

As for hybrids, I would suggest that a paragraph of general rules might be the best idea – that means that if anyone wants to play a cross-breed of some sort, they can.

On the Terran/Taurean issue...I'm happy with things as they are.
Methuslah

Postby Koren n'Rhys » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:58 pm

I can certainly see your point of view on the Zangids as a PC race. 1st ed S&S is a TOS focussed game since it predates TNG. The Zangid supplement idea is one tack, as is a TNG supplement.

Methuselah offered the idea of some brief details & stat adjustments in the humanoids section- you could do that with a hand full of races that don't make the PC cut.

As far as the Terran/Tauran issue, they don't seem that close to me, but I'd just go with human if you change it at all.

Great stuff so far.
Koren n'Rhys

Next

Return to Second Edition Playtest