Interlude in Red Larch

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Re: Interlude in Red Larch

Postby Spanningtree » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Nahin - Elf

Concerned about Jayce he will step outside for a cursory look. If there is anyone about he'll politely ask if anyone saw where Jayce went.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:05 am

The young stable lad comes out, almost on cue and says "Sir? Looking for the tall warrior and the little hairy man? They ran off that way, in a big hurry." As he motions in the general direction of the entrance to the town.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:37 am

Nahin - Elf

Nahin will toss the kid a silver piece and hurry off in the direction pointed.

OCC: 1sp deducted.
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:43 am

Nahin, you toss the boy a silver and he stammers his thanks... you head off at a brisk pace toward the direction he pointed in.

About two minutes later, you see Jayce and Grinkle approaching. Jayce is helping Grinkle, who is limping, and appears to have been beaten pretty soundly. He's alive, but roughed up. Grinkle weakly smiles a toothy grin at you and waves.
badams30

Postby kjc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:33 am

Meanwhile...Just reposting some PMs so as to save time when Jayce explains what happened!

badams30 wrote:Subject: Interlude in Red Larch

kjc wrote:Jayce - Fighter
"#@%&^! Grinkle! Now I can't turn back until I find you!" Jayce thought. Jayce continued on hoping to catch up to the reformed hobgob before he got himself into trouble.

You keep winding through the streets for perhaps 10, 15 minutes, trying to be silent, when you hear the sound of commotion from around a corner. As you slow to catch your bearings, you can see that you've almost made it back to the main entrance and guardpost at the edge of Red Larch. as you round the corner, in the abundent torchlight of the guardpost, you see four Waterdhavian guards wrestling a struggling Grinkle to the ground, tossing in a punch or kick for good measure. To put it bluntly, Grinkle is getting his ass kicked. Next to the guard post atop his horse is the man in brown, with a cruel smile on his face. He says to the men, "Yes, that's the one who has been chasing me. Said he'd kill me and feast on my bones! Dreadful creature. I'd be cautious, his comrades look like an equally unwholsome lot. They're at the Swinging Sword, likely planning their next move!"

You are still in the shadow of the corner, and unnoticed - for now. Glancing back, hoping to see the reassuring sight of your group coming up behind you, you see nothing but darkness and silence. What will you do?

kjc wrote:Jayce - Fighter
Jayce steps forward with his weapons sheathed and hands at his sides. "HOLD! That fellow is a friend of mine and a valued member of the Dutybound. I vouch for him as does Lord Durden and Master Seedius! The accusations of the man on horseback are unfounded...return with me to the Swinging Sword and we can sort this out near a warm fire and mug of ale." Jayce said as calmly as he was able.

badams30 wrote:The soldiers stop what they are doing, and visibly tense at the mention of Seedius and Durden's names. The sinister smile of the man on horseback fades to a frown. One of the guards steps up and tells the others to stop - "Hold it! Wait!" He turns toward you and says "Approach closer, Stranger, so that we may get a look at you. No funny business, now."

You approach cautiously and although you don't recognize the man, he motions toward the men holding Grinkle and says "Let him up, men. This fella is who he says, I saw em' come in today, and have heard Master Seedius speak of them. They are vouched for." He turns toward the man on horseback and says "what do you have to say about this?" The stranger never takes his gaze off of you, and he says in an icy tone to the guard, "I must have been mistaken. My apologies." The guard nods, and as the assist Grinkle to his feet, The man on horseback starts trotting away, but on a parallel path to you, as he passes, he slows and says in a sinister hiss "You'd be well served to finish your business here and head back to your home. Don't meddle in affairs that aren't yours. I won't warn you or your band again." And with that, he spurs his horse hard, and it rears about, turning in a circle and bolts past the guards, heading out of the town. The guards yell halt, but he continues on.
The guards help Grinkle up, still casting weary eyes at him, but the Sgt of the guard (the one talking) comes up to you and says "My apologies, sir. We told him to stop, and he turned, then we saw what he was, and thought he was up to no good. But I'd be careful with him around here, people might get antsy." He bids you a good night, and offers to vouch for you all if needed, apologizing for the hasty actions of the night. Grinkle hobbles over to you weakly, with a bleeding nose and more than a couple tears in his clothes. They've worked him over pretty well.

He says "Thank you , Master Jayce. I was right behind him, and he must have seen me, 'cause he led me here and turned these guys loose on me." He rubs his head and says in a pained tone "that really hurt."
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Nahin - Elf

What the he**! What happened here? Let's get you both in off the street. Nahin will usher them toward the inn taking a look around to see if they are being followed. Once inside he will sit them at the table and ask them to recount their evening.
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:31 am

Grinkle smiles and says meekly, "Sorry to get us into trouble. I was trying to help. The man was headed that way (pointing toward the general direction of mid-town, roughly where the public building was that you signed your documents... as you know, most residences are in that area.) but I think he caught sight of me and doubled back."

Jayce and Grinkle relate their tale to Nahin and the others, and Grinkle happily drinks an ale, letting out a contented burp when finished.

Nahin - No one seems to be following, and you only see a couple guards, who take long looks at you 3, but nod politely and keep going. The inn is basically empty, and the innkeep and staff are starting to blow out the candles. He politely tells you that he would be happy to let you stay about the main table here chatting past close so long as you are quiet and don't trash the place. He sets aside a couple extra pitchers of ale and some bread and bids you all a good night.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 am

Marcus, paladin

Thank you, Grinkle, for your service. I wasn't expecting you to be attacked like that.

Marcus Lays On Hands on Grinkle.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 am

Grinkle shrugs and says "it was nothing, Master Marcus. I've taken worse beatings from Julla over spilled ale...." When you lay on hands, he looks at you shocked, and visibly looks better. "WOW! What was that? Thank you, Master.... I feel much better now." Grinkle, apparently more at ease, takes his hood off and starts to relax somewhat.
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Rory frowns at Grinkle's condition."Gentlemen," he says. "We appear to have attracted the attention of someone who means to do our new friend, and the rest of us, harm. We need to find out who this stranger is, and what business he has with us."

The half-elf scratches his beard for a moment, then continues. "Sometimes it takes a scoundrel to catch a scoundrel. Marcus," he says, turning to face the paladin, and lowering his voice. "Are you familiar with the concept of plausible deniability?" Even in the fading light, there is a gleam in his eye.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

PreviousNext

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure