What to name an adventuring party.

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: What to name an adventuring party.

Postby tpkdm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:36 pm

In the group I play in, the party refer to ourselves as "Ye Adventure Capitalists".
tpkdm

Postby Aplus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:43 pm

As a DM, I always try to encourage my players to name their party, as I think it adds a bit of depth. They never do it at the beginning of play, though. Usually what happens is a character dies, and the party takes up a name in their honor, like "Sclavo's Bravos" or something like that.
people them with monsters of various horrid aspect
Aplus

Postby Agrippa » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:35 pm

I know I haven't posted in this thread for years but I found a thread on another site about party names. It just reminded me of this thread. So does anyone else here have some thoughts party naming? How about some of the names from that GitP thread?
Agrippa

Postby Malcadon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:03 am

What about The Dungeon Cleaning Crew, or everyone's favorite Magical Young Trouble-shooting Heroes (MYTH) Incorporated. 8-) :ugeek:
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby petespahn » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm

In my Amherth setting, players are expected to name their parties because it helps them gain recognition and future job offers. City criers are paid to shout out the deeds of famous adventuring companies in public forums (markets, taverns, courts, etc.) and these companies tend to become popular with the public.

I've noticed that choosing a name, colors, symbol, etc. actually helps the players become more focused and can often set the tone of the game (for good or ill). :) Some players come up with a theme before play (like the Greatswords* where everyone carries two-handed weapons), some choose a name they think sounds cool (like the Society of the Holy Brand*), while others pick up a name after their first few (mis)adventures (like the Duck Slayers*).

Pete

*yes, these were the names of actual adventuring companies. . .
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord