Medical Equipment

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Medical Equipment

Postby Stephen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:48 am

I noticed that the only piece of medical equipment in the core rulebook is the Medkit, a one unit, "does it all" item. Here are some alternates that I present for comment. Feel free to add your own. :)

0.5 Units
Trauma Pack, Mk I
Range: Touch
Duration: Instantaneous
Restrictions: N/A
This small kit will heal up to 1d4 points of damage from any living creature. The pack is expended when used. A creature cannot be healed by more than one Trauma Pack in the same day. Use of a Trauma Pack by a Medical officer or Scientific enlisted man heals 1d8 points of damage.

Medical Autodetector, Mk I
Range: 10’
Duration: 1 turn
Restrictions: Usable by Medical class only
This device scans the immediate area. It will detect the presence of disease or poison in an infected creature or in nearby water, air, etc. It cannot determine the nature of the pathogen, but can feed the data to an auto-analyzer for further analysis.

Portable Purifier
Range: 10’
Duration: Permanent
This device will make poisoned or rotten food and water consumable. It can purify enough food and water to feed ten people. It uses a solar power cell that requires one day to recharge after use.

1 Units
Hypo Kit
Duration: See below
Restrictions: Usable by Medical class or Scientific enlisted class only
This kit contains a hypospray and several vials of medication. The vials can be readily swapped from the base of the hypospray, and their contents injected, even through clothing. Each vial is expended after use. The kit includes:
- Anadecline: a pain killer
- Declomescline: a sedative that can cause instantaneous sleep in a creature of medium size. When administered, the target may make a save versus Poison to resist, or fall asleep for 2d6 hours
- Chlorothaline: an antipsychotic that pacify a creature of medium size. When administered, the target must save versus Poison or receive a -1 penalty on melee combat and damage checks for 2d6 turns
- Simvaccine: an all-purpose vaccine that can cure most viruses
- Phiscozaline: an all-purpose antidote that can cure most poisons
- Vercocil: a stimulant that can give a medium size recipient a +1 bonus on melee combat and damage checks for 2d6 turns. It can also counteract exhaustion, and safely wake a Tauran from a meditative state.
- Caviocol: an anti-radiation medication that protects a character from radiation sickness by shifting its severity one category lower during exposure for 2d4 turns.

Trauma Pack, Mk II
This small kit will heal up to 2d4 points of damage from any living creature. The pack is expended when used. A creature cannot be healed by more than one Trauma Pack in the same day. Use of a Trauma Pack by a Medical officer or Scientific enlisted man heals 2d8 points of damage.

Medical Autodetector, Mk II
Range: 20’
This device works like the Mk I; however with a successful Science check, the user can, without interfacing with an auto-analyzer, diagnose any disease or poison found.

2 Units
Hypo Kit, Advanced
Duration: See below
This kit works the like Hypo Kit; however each vial contains five doses.

Trauma Pack, Mk III
This small kit will heal up to 3d4 points of damage from any living creature. The pack is expended when used. A creature cannot be healed by more than one Trauma Pack in the same day. Use of a Trauma Pack by a Medical officer or Scientific enlisted man heals 3d8 points of damage.

Medical Autodetector, Mk III
Range: 30’
This device works like the Mk II; however with a successful Science check, the user can identify a cure for any successfully diagnosed disease. Used in parallel with the Portable Medical Lab, the user can diagnose and prepare an antidote, antibiotic, or vaccine to any pathogen.

Portable Medical Lab
Range: Personal
Duration: Permanent
This device can synthesize a known cure for any pathogen. Used in parallel with the Medical Autodetector, Mk III, the user can diagnose and prepare an antidote, antibiotic, or vaccine to any pathogen.

3 Units
Trauma Pack, Mk IV
This small kit will heal up to 4d4 points of damage from any living creature. The pack is expended when used. A creature cannot be healed by more than one Trauma Pack in the same day. Use of a Trauma Pack by a Medical officer or Scientific enlisted man heals 4d8 points of damage.
Stephen

Re: Medical Equipment

Postby Kathulos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Stephen, thanks for providing the additional equipment. I'll be using them as part of my expanded equipment lists.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I thought this might be a good location to link to the Starfleet Medical Refrence Manual.

It should provided GM's with enought information to expand out roles for your ships medical officers.

Starfleet Medical Refrence Manual
Kathulos

Return to Starships & Spacemen