A picture is a thousand words, or at least one monster.

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

A picture is a thousand words, or at least one monster.

Postby Agrippa » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 pm

We get inspirations for PCs, NPCs, monsters, mutations, tech and settings form all sorts of sources. From the looks of this creature how would you stat him out? I'm talking about level, mutations and ability scores, that sort of thing. Maybe even his alignment. Good luck.
Agrippa

Re: A picture is a thousand words, or at least one monster.

Postby Malcadon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Start with a vet! :shock: That Mewtwo looks really unhealthy!
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Agrippa » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 am

Malcadon wrote:Start with a vet! :shock: That Mewtwo looks really unhealthy!

First, It's good to see that someone here figured that out. I almost thought I'd be the only one get where he comes from. Second, take a look at this official picture of Mewtwo.

Now look at it's chest. It seems to have a very prominant rib cage. Both the highly noticible clavicles and thin emaciated arms along with Mewtwo's prominant rib cage points to malnutrition and neglect to feed it's self. This creature, known commonly as Mewtwo is forced to dedicate a significant portion of it's psychic powers to artifically maintaining its physical strength, speed, agility and endurance. This of course results in greatly diminished power for this bipedial, felinoid psychic.

Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:55 am

The funny thing is that a lot of Pokemon can easily be used a inspiration for, or just made into, Mutant Future monsters. It didn't take me long to realize this though, I figured it out at least a year ago.
Agrippa

Postby Malcadon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:46 am

Yeah, seen some of the first season of the show, and I had the misfortune of watching the movie (that was time that could have been wasted on better things).

Although, if you want odd creatures that are not instantly recognizable (including Digimon and maybe Chaotic), then go with monsters form Monster Rancher, Digital Devil Story, Kaijudo, or Huntik (Damn that sexy Zhalia Moon can summon my 'monster' any day! ;) ).

Beyond "Mons", their are a lot of other cartoons to pull creatures form. Hell, I have used creatures from a silly cartoon called Chalkzone. In the show, the characters learn that everything that was ever written in chalk (by children, mental patients, board teenager, etc.) come to life in their own strange chalk world. In one episode, they noted a number of them to highlighted the strangeness of the world. But the oddest was a bush-like mass of eye-stocks that forces eyeballs into your eye-sockets, which they use illusions to mask obvious dangers so they would have a host that would deliver them to new ground to grow. In another episode, they encounter The Smooch. Should it kisses you and you never been kissed before, you would lough uncontrollably until you kiss someone else who been kissed, who would have to find someone else to kiss (or when the locals had enough at laughing at your expense and tell you that you can sing the effects away). Since the conditions are too family-friendly for my games, things played-out a little differently at the table, and the singing at the end was priceless! :twisted: Yeah it was a silly childish cartoon, but boy did I eat it for game fodder!
Malcadon

Postby Agrippa » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:20 pm

Don't forget Disney's Gargoyles. Not only is it a great source for monsters and NPC races it also makes a great source PC races. Even actual NPCs if you want. With that said I've already started up a monster thread about two years ago and posted two Pokemon in it. Feel free to post your own media monsters in it too.
Agrippa

Postby Malcadon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:16 am

Pokemon are only good for three things: fighting, breeding, and eating. :twisted:
Malcadon

Postby Agrippa » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:38 am

Malcadon wrote:Pokemon are only good for three things: fighting, breeding, and eating. :twisted:

I've come to two conclusions as a result of your post. One, the official Pokemon setting is a poorly thought out mess. Two, you really have a dark and morbid sense of humor. Where the hell do you get it?
Agrippa

Postby Malcadon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Agrippa wrote:I've come to two conclusions as a result of your post. One, the official Pokemon setting is a poorly thought out mess. Two, you really have a dark and morbid sense of humor. Where the hell do you get it?

You right on both accounts.

The world of Pokemon throws 10 year old children out into the wild, and give them no form of supplemental education, while they train to become... Well, what made this guy so popular. The absent father of Ash is never addressed, while Brock's parents are neglectful bastards. You just know this guy killed people on impulse. There is no mistranslation in this. Oh and Cubones wear the skull of their dead mothers as a helmet! (Somehow, I get the feeling that much of this is just the tip of the iceberg!)

And yeah... I'm quite dark and morbid. But that comes naturally to me! :twisted:
Malcadon

Postby Agrippa » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 pm

I almost forgot about Brocks dead beat parents and Ash's missing father. Either way I'm not planning on using the official Pokemon world. It'll be a homebrew with normal animals along with select monsters from Pokemon, Monster Rancher, Huntik ect. Also the minimum adventuring trainer age will be around 14, with the PCs likely older than that. I explained it like this on another site. It's right here.
Agrippa

Next

Return to Mutant Future