Robert E Howard vs JRR Tolkien

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: Robert E Howard vs JRR Tolkien

Postby connivingsumo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:26 pm

Vargr1105 wrote:Good people, read my post. I said I was not insulted, neither did Sumo cause me any harm. I simply don't like that term an do not use myself. Yes, I understand he was giving us a compliment. No harm, no foul and all that.

Now on a lighter note...

Atomic Ray wrote:Howard in a Tolkien setting?

You mean like...FRONAN THE HOBBARIAN (TM) ?!

"Know, O gamer, that between the years after the fall of TSR, and the years of the rise of the Sons of the Millenials, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining retro-clones lay spread across the internet like blue mantles beneath the stars - OSRIC the eldest with its tables and charts, Swords & Wizardry with its singular saving throw, Hordes & Things with its corrupting magic and strong drink that healed, Starships & Spacemen with its multitude of alien foreheads.

But the proudest retro-clone of the world was Labyrinth Lord, reigning supreme in the dreaming west that was America. Hither came Fronan the Hobbarian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sling in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with diminutive melancholies and diminuitive mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the campaign setting under his furry feet."

Just wait til he draws his axe, then you're really gonna get it!

YES, gentle reader! Now you too may marvel at the astounding short tales of sword'n'sorcery and heroic fantasy of Fronan the Hobbarian(tm) as he wanders in Middle-Hyboria until setting the bloody crown of Shirelonia upon his head with his own hands.

Be sure to look for such classic titles as:

The Minor God in the Cooking Pot
The Hour of the Pseudodragon
The Furmallion
There, Over Here and All Over the Place Again
The Scampering Shadow
Red Feet Nails
The Lord of the Shoes (triology)
- The Fellows of the Local Ring
- The Two Small Towers
- The Return of the Thing
The Quail-Phoenix on the Dagger
The Scarlet Local Village
The Shaping of Middle-Hyboria
The Tower of the Dwarf Elephant
Hobbit Rogues in the House
The Devil in Aluminium
The Small People of the Smaller Black Circle
A Midget Witch Shall be Born
Finished Tales of Middle-Hyboria
Half-Man-Eaters of Zamboula
The Tall Nordic Man's Daughter
Just Until the Black River
The Book of Tales That Were Found

I love the pic! But "Fronan" (tm) should maybe sport a 100% natural "fro"!! *as in Afro*

I much prefer Savant over nerd. :D I suppose it's reserved for pianists, cellists, etc. I'd like to walk into a sports-bar though, and everyone cheering at the game, talking stats, players, etc. I'd like to call them a bunch of sports-nerds!! Wonder how that would go over? :lol: :lol:
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Vargr1105 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Given the natural propensity for violence and aggression of the base creature known as "Sport-Nerd", its low intellect, poor emotional and impulse control, tribalistic tendencies, infantile mind, pack mentality instinct, plus the influence alcohol is well known to have on his/her primitive nervous system, I would say a Save vs. Death might be in order before you left the bar. :)
Vargr1105

Postby connivingsumo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:50 am

Vargr1105 wrote:Given the natural propensity for violence and aggression of the base creature known as "Sport-Nerd", its low intellect, poor emotional and impulse control, tribalistic tendencies, infantile mind, pack mentality instinct, plus the influence alcohol is well known to have on his/her primitive nervous system, I would say a Save vs. Death might be in order before you left the bar. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very, VERY accurate description!!!

LOL!!! I am not at all a vicious person, as Black Wyvern suggested. I am in love with the idea of friendship and peace - for everyone. If I get into a tangle now, I make every effort to be diplomatic even at the expense of my own "manliness"! Because I (now) know that masculinity is a matter of definition regardless of society's definition. Perhaps that is a sign of my age? I hate violence and believe it to be ignorant; however - in my youth - I was quite the opposite. I was a brawler... blocked too many punches with my face! LOL - hence the sinus problems, I believe.

I have the body for it - I hated violence but I was good at it. Being "tubby" I was always the guy that was faster, more flexible, and much stronger than he looked, not to mention the decades of training (mostly Kung Fu but there's a hint of Tai-Kwon-Do and Karate in there). Being able to 'head-butt' someone right in the bridge of nose was a favorite tactic and that usually ended it, which was nice for me given I have no great reserve of stamina.

If I ever walked into a sports bar and made that sort of announcement, it would be intended to get into a confrontation where I could challenge one's mind; that said, you mentioned the addition of alcohol and we all know how that makes folks (especially men) stupid - so I would be prepared to take advantage of their poor motor skills. LOL :lol: My favorite drunks are the "friendly" drunks, because that's always what I have been. It's so much more fun to be "best pals" when drinking... rather than risking having your 'taint' handed to you because you picked a fight with some "nerdy, skinny kid" that turned out to be an Ex-Navy Seal (happened to a buddy of mine). I never started fights, because you just never know who you're about to tangle with - what kind of training they've had - what their background was - or what their "survival" skill set is. It's best to engage in intellectual combat because even if you lose, you walk away with knowledge... something positive and can - ultimately - make the world a better place. ;)

*My apologies to the original poster (OP)... /soapbox off. ... then again, I wonder what Howard or Tolkien would have to say about that character? :)
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Eldrad » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 pm

On the subject I try and use both and everything I can.
Eldrad

Postby YHWH » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 am

Vargr1105 wrote:I've checked the two versions. They are both too overpowered for LL.

Think so? The White Dwarf version seems okay to me. Is there a specific ability of his that's putting it over the top for you?
YHWH

Postby seneschal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Robert E. Howard vs. C.S. Lewis

Let's see how Conan handles a horde of gung-ho talking mice! :o
seneschal

Postby kjc » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:28 am

Hmmm...crossing a barbarian with a rodent...

"...Hither came Ro-dant the Cimmousian, black furred, beady eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a gnawer, a plague carrier, with minnie melancholies, and mickey mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his three toed feet..."

Dedicated to Vargr1105 who did it first...

...and who in actuality is not dead.
Last edited by kjc on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Vargr1105 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated...in fact I had not even heard about them. Who claimed I was dead?
Vargr1105

Postby kjc » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Rumors my friend...only rumors, whispered in the dark, dust filled corners of these very forums. Bald-faced half truths dripping greasily from the decay filled maws of lesser men. "Men" who jealously covet your mental pith and abounding creativity...
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Scalydemon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:25 pm

Reports of hastily scrawled graffiti on a rainsoaked tomb in the Krakeland Marsh reading 'BALFA LIVES' seem to point to him being alive for the moment at least..

Let the red dawn surmise
What we shall do,
When this blue starlight dies
And all is through.

Publisher of AFS Magazine An old school gaming & pulp literature fanzine available in print only http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/
Scalydemon

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion