Publishing question: distribution of free pdfs

This forum is for publisher introductions, particularly for publishers who are licensees of Goblinoid Games' titles, but other publishers of relevant products are also welcome. This area will replace the publisher forums below by April 5th 2011.

Publishing question: distribution of free pdfs

Postby barrataria » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:12 pm

So, a while back Lulu decided they didn't want to host free pdf downloads any more. Although lulu has its problems, I liked that they tracked the number of downloads and liked having the information all in one place.

I won't use scribd as I had problems with them allowing illegal posting of my items before. I imagine 4shared is similar (since they seem to allow posting of all sorts of in-copyright D&D books). I don't have plans to publish anything else in the foreseeable future, so don't really want to mess with the onebookshelf folks. But I'd like a service that looks relatively professional, without too much spam and so on.

Any suggestions most welcome.
barrataria

Re: Publishing question: distribution of free pdfs

Postby rredmond » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:16 pm

Not really what you are looking for, but I like Dropbox as a hosting for downloads. I don't think it tracks anything, and I know it doesn't offer any other services, but you can put a file up and share it for anyone to download.
DOWNLOAD THE NEW ISSUE -- FREE NOW!
CLICK ON THE BANNER BELOW!!
Oak Rapp - screaming "die" in orcish b/c it sounds cooler.
Phaser on stun *pew pew*. Phaser on kill *poo poo*!
rredmond

Postby barrataria » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:43 am

rredmond wrote:Not really what you are looking for, but I like Dropbox as a hosting for downloads. I don't think it tracks anything, and I know it doesn't offer any other services, but you can put a file up and share it for anyone to download.

Thanks for that, sir. Something is better than nothing :)
barrataria

Postby sniderman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I've used Google Docs for years without problems. With a direct URL, a reader can even read the file online without downloading it.

http://tinyurl.com/67k75tk
sniderman

Return to Publishers