Mutations...this one or that one

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Mutations...this one or that one

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:35 am

A quick game of consideration...being a lifetime fan of mutations in RPG, Metamorphosis Alpha was the first RPG I ever bought, a bright eyed 11yr old with birthday money in 1976...I have always been interested in what aspects draw other people to the same or related games.

Just focusing on the mutations.

Many many systems have touched on these aspects, some much more successful than others...but all revealing bits of that designer's focal point.

I would say for me it is the measure of plausible nature to a mutation, even though we all know the reality would be a horror show...for an RPG grade of plausibility.

So I was always tooling away with mutation systems, selection, and the mutations themselves.

Mutations like Modified Digestive System...may not be glamorous but oh so very useful in any post apoc setting...being able to consume any organic material and gain nutritional value from it...almost magic in a game setting...I also allow for "it only makes sense" connective mutations, like for this one the mouth, teeth, and entire digestive system is modified to allow for the high grade acid involved.

Get a cosmetic defect, tie it into the mutation of possible...ugly: from constant acid burns around the face...for example.

Anyway...that is the motivation for my mutational game drive.

The thread is to follow with a This One or That One informal continuous poll of sorts.

For example...Increased Strength (say +6) or Winged Flight

Joe says "Increased Strength +6...and then follows up with a Increased Strength +6 or (insert something else).

For the sake of the thread staying on path, if we could avoid the gonzo and goofy self entertaining answers like a defect or ultra powerful mutations...try to keep the power level comparable as possible.

If you want to throw relevant plant mutations as an option then feel free, I am a big fan of including the mutant plant world with characters, especially in a symbiotic/parasitic aspect...example a mutated human with photosynthetic leaves or explosive berries growing on them, rooting to their flesh...is a direction I choose to travel :)

Anyway...let us give this a try and see what happens?

***** (define the mutation if it is not clear, especially if you are including one from your house rules or other source) *****

Breathe Fire (cone of fire 3D6, equal to CON in uses per 24hrs, equal to STR in inches of range, comes with defect: exotic diet...charcoal 1lb per day)

or

Razor Leaves (strong fine edged *insert color* leaves grows on 50% of mutant's skin, STR bonus and +4 damage in hand to hand, comes with defect: unusual looks)
Last edited by Atomic Ray on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Re: Mutations...this one or that one

Postby gentleman john » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:19 am

Razor leaves for me.

Which gives a choice of:

Bark-like skin (gives the character -1 AC)

or

Increased CON (adds 1d6 to CON due to alterations to the metabolism)
gentleman john

Re: Mutations...this one or that one

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:31 am

I will take the Bark Skin...I might also add -1to all damage as the bark skin is ablative, comes with defect: unusual looks

Bark-like skin (gives the character -1 AC)

or

Third Eye in back of head...360* vision, comes with defect: paranoid
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Return to Mutant Future