Space Gamer 75 patches

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

Space Gamer 75 patches

Postby Bisikoff » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm

Howdy All

So, over coffee this morning, I was rereading my aging copy of now-long-defunct Space Gamer 75. Published in the summer of 1985, it features Warren Spector's 7 page overview and review of the Pacesetter system, along with a few capsule reviews.

I didn't have Cryptworld or prior editions back then, but now it becomes oddly relevant.

Some of the system criticisms, and some quick patches / hacks offered.

Damage System. One issue addressed out of the box is the old 1st ed Chill wounding system. CW uses the other Pacesetter wound systems of arbitrary wound points combined with Stamina loss.

Missile Dodge. The article notes the random roll for missile combat is, basically weak sauce, and suggests using a dodge roll or Agility score instead of random rolling. CW already offers modifiers based on actions and conditions, so randomising the defense column seems a bit odd. A quick patch would be to use the column matching the target's Agility, or a column more to the left for unaware targets.

Chart Time. The article notes the number of charts for combat modifiers and that every skill has a unique chart result interpretation table. I think the article overstates the case - especially 28 or so years in hindsight. I think the guidance is for CMs to prepare a bit and be ready with their charts, perhaps a skill extract for looking up results.

Starting Skills. The articles notes "Unfortunately, the number of skill points you get is determined by the roll of one die, with not even a bell curve to help you out - a very serious flaw, in my estimation." I don't know it's a very serious flaw, but it's an easily hackable one regardless. Here's one suggested alternated starting skill chart:

Starting Skills
Roll d10 : Number of Skills

1: 3
2 - 4: 4
5 - 8: 5
9 - 10: 6

Thanks!
Bisikoff

Re: Space Gamer 75 patches

Postby greyarea » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Those look like nice adjustments and could make for helpful house rules.
greyarea

Re: Space Gamer 75 patches

Postby ReaperWolf » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:53 am

Or dump random character creation entirely and use points or a simple distribution model based upon desired investigator experience level.
ReaperWolf

Return to CRYPTWORLD