Druids & Cure Lt Wounds

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Druids & Cure Lt Wounds

Postby bighara » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:23 pm

I mentioned this in the AEC errata but I'll ask here too.
p. 43 of the AEC says that CLW is a level 1 Druid Spell, but the spell list on p. 83 shows it as 2nd level. Which is correct?
bighara

Re: Druids & Cure Lt Wounds

Postby Brad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Gotta be a 2nd level spell...in no version of D&D can Druids cast Cure spells until 2nd level.
Brad

Postby Blood axe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:56 pm

Brad wrote:Gotta be a 2nd level spell...in no version of D&D can Druids cast Cure spells until 2nd level.

Yes, Cure Light Wounds should be Level 2 for Druids. (What Brad said!)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Brad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm wondering, though...druids can heal, but with much less proficiency than clerics. This was probably done as to keep clerics a viable option in AD&D, but in B/X and BECMI clerics don't get spells until 2nd level anyway. I much prefer the AD&D method, spells at 1st level, but supposing I grafted AEC onto a regular B/X campaign...doesn't seem to be any reason to take a regular cleric except for turning undead abilities.

Or am I missing something.
Brad

Postby Brad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:27 pm

Brad wrote:Or am I missing something.

Well, first of all, your memory needs work as druids do exist in BECMI...okay, the B/X question is still valid, though.
Brad

Postby Blood axe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Are you talking to yourself? :P
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby YHWH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:32 am

Viable? They're unstoppable.

-nearly as tough as fighters
-almost better than wizards at magic
-they level super fast

Plus turning undead.
YHWH

Postby Dyson Logos » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 pm

YHWH: yeah, but wizards almost never find themselves dumped into the "party bitch" category, expected to be spending all their spells helping the rest of the party out. That's why clerics get the easy level advancement - both clerics and thieves (the two "party bitch" classes) get rapid advancement as a "thank you" for playing.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby kaomera » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:YHWH: yeah, but wizards almost never find themselves dumped into the "party bitch" category, expected to be spending all their spells helping the rest of the party out. That's why clerics get the easy level advancement - both clerics and thieves (the two "party bitch" classes) get rapid advancement as a "thank you" for playing.

Well, unless you had Enlarge or Identify, or even Detect Magic, Jump, or Spider Climb. At low levels in particular there was quite the concern that M-Us not "waste" spell slots on offensive spells that where unlikely to have a really significant effect on the combat they where used in vs. a spell that could turn the fighter into a killing machine or allow access to treasure that might be immediately useful (either by knowledge of what you had or access to certain rooms or compartments where there might be secreted some magic item or such). Mind you, I think that Detect Magic, although very highly prized by the players, was most often the "trap" option, as it was unlikely that the junk a 1st-level party would acquire would actually include anything special, although it would help differentiate the odd non-magical poison from a usable (but quite possibly cursed) potion.
kaomera

Postby Brad » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:18 pm

I don't see how a MU can ever "waste" spells. Every single spell is incredibly powerful if utilized properly.

The more I read message boards and blog posts featuring arguments like one class or race is too powerful or weak, I realize some people are just intellectually lazy. Take for instance the Fly spell...who needs it? Cast Levitate and use an Unseen Servant to push you around. A clever player can easily have a 3rd level MU overpower a 5th or even 7th level MU with creative spell use.
Brad

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord