Item Saving Throws, too cruel or a good way to control items

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Item Saving Throws, too cruel or a good way to control items

Postby scadgrad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:13 pm

Yet another one for you to consider, do you use the optional item saving throws in your campaign?

I think method 2 (p. 55 LL) seems to work the best for our group and so far I've used it on falls and acid. I've not called for item saves for magic weapons or armor, as these seem to be omitted from the entry, and I think that is fine. Maybe in rare instances one might call for them, but losing your +3 longsword as a result of a fall into a 20' pit seems bonkers even by old school standards.

Your thoughts?
scadgrad

Re: Item Saving Throws, too cruel or a good way to control i

Postby connivingsumo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:38 am

I agree about the 20' fall.

I only did item saves in extreme cases - maybe just to save myself extra work, or the players extra work. I remember a rope failing a save against fire once; it was actually pretty comical.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Re: Item Saving Throws, too cruel or a good way to control i

Postby Irda Ranger » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:00 pm

Yes and No.

As written, Item Saving Throws are too harsh.

But the way I see it, it's not the Saving Throw rules that are the problem. It's the Items. They're too important. I realize I'm in the minority this way, but my solution is to downgrade items and upgrade the benefits of being higher level. I do away with the "+x" part of weapons, shields and armor and give a commensurate bonus to leveling up. The relative power of the character remains the same, but you can't lose it to lousy saving throw.

You can still lose the "extras", like flaming or glowing when orcs are present, but those are really "extras", rather than "base power level", I think of it.
Irda Ranger

Return to Labyrinth Lord