Please stat the Eaglebear

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Please stat the Eaglebear

Postby 3llense'g » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:12 am

This creature came up in a conversation earlier on this forum (thanks, Charlatan!), and I'd like some creative and experienced DMs to stat the thing. I myself have no knowledge to do this and I'm interested in what you guys could come up with.

My ideas are: it should occupy a different niche then the owlbear so it won't be just a palette swap. Shouldn't be intelligent/civilized. Charlatan suggested that they should live in mountains. If there's some kind of monster LL Basic is missing, consider filling that role with the Eaglebear (I mostly mean certain HD ranges).

Glad would make the art for it (hopefully) and I'm sure some background info would help him too. :D
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Re: Please stat the Eaglebear

Postby Charlatan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:24 am

Right, let me make this up in this here post, it was my unwitting creation after all. :D

Eagle Bear
No. Enc.: 1d2 (coin flip)
Alignment: Chaotic
Movement: 120' (40')
Fly: 240' (80')
Armor Class: 5
Hit Dice: 5
Attacks: 5 (2 claws, 1 bite, 2 wings)
Damage: 1d8/1d8/1d8/1d4/1d4
Save: F3
Morale: 10
Hoard Class: XX
XP: 460

Feared apex predators of sheer cliffs, impassable rock-sliding canyons and steep, snowy mountain ranges, they use their sharp taloned paws, ursine bulk and unnatural speed to crush prey into the ground before lifting them off to their distant nests made of collected bone and thick redwood branches on some mountain alcove.

Most believe they were created by a mad magus or cruel Arch-Devil for some aberrant reasoning. They have large, stout bodies with fur coats ranging from deep black to reddish brown and always have a white, thin half-moon marking on their chest. Their heads however are feathered and sharply featured, the feathers are a warm brown, their beaks are yellow with a black tip and their eyes are a dry orange. They have colossal wingspans, so large that they can be used as bludgeoning weapons on creatures smaller than themselves, they are always golden brown with off-white underwing.

A full-grown female stands at around 8 feet and weighs up to 1,500 pounds, while the males are slightly smaller. Few have encountered one and survived, but those that have seen them flying over head tell that they are rarely spotted with others of their kind, attack any other beast that flies near and doubt they could be tamed. Just like bears, an eagle bear may hug an opponent for 2d8 hit points of damage if it successfully hits with both paws in the same round.

Eagle Bear Cub
No. Enc.: 1d4 (1d4)
Alignment: Chaotic
Movement: 90' 30')
Armor Class: 7
Hit Dice: 5
Attacks: 3 (2 claws, 1 bite)
Damage: 1d4/1d4/1d4
Save: F3
Morale: 7
Hoard Class: XX
XP: 70

Toughened from birth to extreme wind and cold, they are quite challenging to the inexperienced adventurer. While they have wings, they are not yet capable of using them. They are usually downy grey-white, with patches of brown feathers and black fur as they become closer to leaving the nest. The cubs are naturally rivalrous which can lead to infighting even as they are attacked.
Last edited by Charlatan on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything I say is true!
Charlatan

Postby 3llense'g » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:17 am

Wow, flight? Never thought of that! Nice! :)
3llense'g

Postby Victorian » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:15 pm

I might use that if I ever run a game. :P

You say theres some art for this on the way?
Victorian

Postby 3llense'g » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:12 pm

Victorian wrote:I might use that if I ever run a game. :P

You say theres some art for this on the way?

Yep! :) I'm just hoping some other people will chime in. ;)
3llense'g

Postby Glad27 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Great breakdown, Charlatan! So, just so I'm clear on the visuals, the eaglebear actually has wings apart from his clawed arms unlike the owlbear that has only his clawed arms, is that right? My concept of the owlbear (when I drew one going up against a group of dwarves) was like the traditional earlier TSR day versions where there was remnants of long, wing-like feathers hanging from the owlbears two arms but they were not actual wings...just remnants of the owl part of the creature fused during its creation with the bear part of its forearms. I like the fact that it's a significant difference from the owlbear in appearance.

I'm finishing up on a commission at the moment, but I'm almost done with it...as soon as that happens, I'll tackle the new ursa-ornithological amalgam. Until then....
Glad27

Postby Charlatan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Glad27 wrote:Great breakdown, Charlatan! So, just so I'm clear on the visuals, the eaglebear actually has wings apart from his clawed arms unlike the owlbear that has only his clawed arms, is that right? My concept of the owlbear (when I drew one going up against a group of dwarves) was like the traditional earlier TSR day versions where there was remnants of long, wing-like feathers hanging from the owlbears two arms but they were not actual wings...just remnants of the owl part of the creature fused during its creation with the bear part of its forearms. I like the fact that it's a significant difference from the owlbear in appearance.

I'm finishing up on a commission at the moment, but I'm almost done with it...as soon as that happens, I'll tackle the new ursa-ornithological amalgam. Until then....

Yes, wings on its back, four legs. Now that I think about it its not far off by a ursine griffin. Griphon. Griphin. Graffalite! Thats the one.
Everything I say is true!
Charlatan

Return to Open Workshop