Cleric V Cleric challenge of faith

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Cleric V Cleric challenge of faith

Postby YamItheonly1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:17 pm

In my homebrew campaign world I am fleshing out more I came up with a great idea; let clerics challenge the faiths of other clerics. Specifically I am making the campaign for a Basic LL game with some 1e, 2e, and 5e DnD rules thrown in.

The Cleric Faith Battle uses cleric turning rolls, like say Cleric A says to Cleric B "Thine goddess spreadeth her legs open often" and then Cleric A 1st level would roll a 2d6 turn undead check, Cleric B 1st level and with 1 1st level spell available would use his level as HD (duh) and add his remaining 1st level spells (representing a cleric with full faith in the power of his/her god/dess. If Cleric A rolls high enough to turn a 2HD or stronger undead then Cleric B loses half of his remaining spells for the day (rounding down, each consecutive failure to a challenge of faith makes the cleric lose half of his remaining spells) . For Cleric B to regain his lost spells he must undergo an atonement phase after the battle and for no less than 1 hour per level (this can be anything from a vow of silence for several hours or even something like a week of fasting (so long as at least 1 hour per cleric level is spent fasting the cleric regains his lost spells but to keep them the cleric must continue fasting), the period and severity of atonement is set by the DM and influenced by the deity that the cleric worships.

A cleric can challenge the faith of any number of clerics within hearing distance (this includes using whisper spells or anything like that) the action takes 1 full action. A cleric can challenge the faith of anyone as many times per day as they can turn undead (note this does not replace or use up a turning undead attempt). If used against members of the faith that are not clergy the person's belief is shaken and any boons received from the god/dess are lost, and the person must go through a period of atonement (determined by the DM and influenced by the god)

Some examples of atonement by deity type

God of War: The cleric must atone for his sins by fighting with only his fists for the next hour per level

Goddess of Tits and Wine: The cleric must fast from any and all sexual encounters, alcoholic drinks for 1 week per level (spells are still gained after x hours per level spent atoning however)

God of Death: The cleric must dedicate 1 young child per level for a ceremonial sacrifice. Spells are regained 1 hour per level after the child(ren) are taken captive to be sacrificed.

Goddess of the Sun and the Moon: The cleric must not sleep for 1 night per level and may only partake of plants. Spells are regained after the 1st meal or night not slept per level, which ever comes first.

If the cleric has access to multiple levels of spells they regain 1 level of spell slots for every hour they atone for. For instance Cleric B has 2 1st level spells and 1 2nd level spell. His atonement is to stare into the sun for 1 hour per level. The 1st hour he spends staring into the sun he regains both of his 1st level spells. He takes a break to kill some undead and then resumes staring at the sun for another hour (his 2nd hour doing so) he then regains his 1 2nd level spell that he had previously lost.

So what do you guys think?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
YamItheonly1

Re: Cleric V Cleric challenge of faith

Postby bighara » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:05 pm

I like the turning mechanic as a means to "test faith." The exact consequences might need to be adjusted depending on campaign or setting.
bighara

Postby petespahn » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:27 am

bighara wrote:I like the turning mechanic as a means to "test faith." The exact consequences might need to be adjusted depending on campaign or setting.

Hahaha - ya think?

I too like the idea of testing faith. This could easily be revamped into a battle of faiths similar to an MU mechanic I had where one has a chance to "undo" another's spell as it is cast.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby YamItheonly1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:57 pm

Yeah the consequences are a tad bit extreme in my examples, but you get the picture :)

Do you still have your system for doing the petespahn? I would love to see it if you don't mind, mine still needs some tweaking.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
YamItheonly1

Return to Labyrinth Lord