Ideas on reflavoring mutations.

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Ideas on reflavoring mutations.

Postby Agrippa » Tue May 31, 2011 6:13 am

I've been thinking about it for a while. For the most part mutations in Mutant Future are just that, mutations. But that doesn't mean they can't be described or imagined any other way. Perhaps cybernetic augments, demonic or eldritch pacts, boons from the fair folk or even gifts from a higher power. These mutations could also be a result of an extraplanar origin, whether Lovecraftian, celestial or infernal in nature. So my question is, has anyone else thought about this idea?
Agrippa

Re: Reflavoring

Postby Justin S. Davis » Tue May 31, 2011 11:12 am

Sure, that totally works. But why not just call them "super-powers" at that point? ;)
Consult A Field Guide To Doomsday, for all your mutant monster needs!

http://afieldguidetodoomsday.blogspot.com/
Justin S. Davis

Re: Ideas on reflavoring mutations.

Postby Goblinoid Games » Tue May 31, 2011 1:17 pm

Most certainly. In fact, that is the idea behind mutant powers for androids. It is assumed they are technological systems that essentially mimic mutations, or in the case of replicants, genetic engineering.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Agrippa » Tue May 31, 2011 11:40 pm

Okay then, you're both right. My idea isn't nearly as original as I thought. But that's okay, at least I have some standing. With that said what sort of mutations would cover Cu Chulainn's warp-spasm?

“The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tange of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage.”
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Let's try a pestilence demon.

Now its powers would best be reflected in the following mutations.
Enlarged Arms and Legs.
Three Natural Weapons (claws and beak all with disease of some sort).
Complete Wing Development.
Diffuse Grey Matter.
Increased Balance, Precision,Dexterity, Increased Smell and Increased Vision.
Quickness.
Vampiric Field.

How you'd deal with these two is completely up to you.

Perhaps mutation rules could be used to develop a 3.x style warlock character if the player and Mutant Lord both feel like it.
Agrippa

Return to Mutant Future