Hoard / Treasure Utility

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Hoard / Treasure Utility

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:12 am

I should have looked before responding. You were spot on. Armor was broken. It's fixed now. My sincere appreciation for pointing out the error. All code has bugs but you guys are nailing them left and right. I truly appreciate the help.

Thanks again, BW.

Edit: Fixed a database issue that also was spewing an extraneous comma as well.
Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Unprotected Treasure based on the Labyrinth Level has now been added to the Treasure and Treasure Book generators. Enjoy.
Mark

Postby Pelendor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:32 pm

Absolutely love it - extremely easy to use; no more excuses mid-game for just handing out a bag a gp!
Pelendor

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:36 am

Cool, glad its useful. You can also grab a treasure book and cross out entries as you use them.
Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 am

Been a while since I tinkered with generator goodness. Inspired by the Monster Mark tables from Oubliette #6, I started down the path toward what could be considered the monster side of the old Monster & Treasure Assortment books. Djeryv's excellent version is a more complete variant of the original title.

My version, the Monster Stocker, folds in my treasure routines as well as the minimal monster stat block code I did earlier. The NPC parties need some layout and detail help. I'm still trying to decide what information is necessary in a minimalist manner. I'll probably add an option to select how many outputs you want and a PDF output option. Not happening tonight. For now, you get 100 results and are stuck with the AJAX html lists.

As always, if you have suggestions, comments, corrections, etc., let me know.
Mark

Postby Denim N Leather » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:15 am

This is amazing. Love it!
Denim N Leather

Re: Hoard / Treasure (question about individual treasure)

Postby irishspear » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Terrific utility, thanks for sharing! I have a question related to the treasure utility, but also related to treasure generation generally. As background, I haven't played B/X or any of the "older editions" in a loooooooong time, and not since I was very young, but I have extremely fond memories of it. One thing that always perplexed me was proper treasure generation. I always suspected I was awarding too little or too much, despite my efforts to master the old tables and guidance provided in the books. It's something I never had a great handle on when playing B/X as an 8-10 year old kid, and I'm embarrassed to say that when I recently discovered the OSR and Labyrinth Lord (hurray!!!) I find that I still don't get it. Here is my specific question (I'm sure I'll have more on this topic):

I'm going to run my first session in ages and have a party of 1st level adventurers. They are going to be facing off against a band of goblins that have inhabited an old ruin that the players are intent on looting. The goblins count one bugbear among their ranks as a heavy enforcer type. Now, the bugbear hoard class entry in the LL book is XXI. But it seems that hoard class contemplates the treasure found in a lair of 5d4 bugbears -- not one solitary creature. Unless I'm missing something, no hoard class is provided for individual specimens. How would I go about determining the treasure that might be on the person of one individual bugbear? Or even one individual goblin, for that matter? My players have specifically expressed excitement at the prospect of "looting bodies" -- but it seems the rules generally contemplate treasure found in lairs or secure locations. I'm sure this is obvious to seasoned DM--er, LLs out there. Please help a novice (and math-challenged) LL!
irishspear

Postby Wizardawn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:15 pm

irishspear wrote:Or even one individual goblin

Goblins have individual treasure of III, so that is already figured out for you.

irishspear wrote:Now, the bugbear hoard class entry in the LL book is XXI. But it seems that hoard class contemplates the treasure found in a lair of 5d4 bugbears -- not one solitary creature. Unless I'm missing something, no hoard class is provided for individual specimens. How would I go about determining the treasure that might be on the person of one individual bugbear?

Really depends on how generous you are as a DM...I mean...LL. A couple of points to make...

--1. There is not enough bugbears to really constitute a HOARD TREASURE. There should be about 5-20 of them to use it because it is not individual treasure.

--2. Since you are returning to this game style, I want to remind you to not get hung up on "exact" figures. My suggestion is "wing-it". For example: This bugbear is about 3HD and the goblins are about 1HD. The goblins have individual treasure of III so I would calculate the III and multiply it by 3 for the bugbear. Maybe no one else would ever do it this way...but it is just an example of getting past it quickly.

--3. If you want to get into the nitty gritty of it all, maybe you can try this: The most you will get is 20 bugbears in a lair. Whatever the XXI produces, divide everything by 20. Again...maybe how other people might not do it, but it is an idea.

For my games I keep it really simple. If there at least 5 bugbears then the players will find the entire hoard (well...if the percentages produce treasure results --- because sometimes they don't). I will not divide anything by the amount of bugbears. It is simply all or nothing. My players like exploring dungeons and finding treasure. Sure...I have a small story about why they are going in there, but it is the exploration that is fun to them. Finding alot of gold does not ruin my game because they are forced to cough some up to train to their next level. So your results may vary.
Wizardawn

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:49 pm

irishspear wrote:Terrific utility, thanks for sharing! I have a question related to the treasure utility, but also related to treasure generation generally.

Thanks for the feedback. Personally, I treat the results as a starting point for treasure, not the definitive number. Tweak it up and down as you see fit. Djeryv's advice is sound. Treasure is completely open to LL depending on the game they wish to run. I'll often given creatures treasure they otherwise wouldn't have and occasionally skip treasure entirely for creatures who normally have a pile of it. All up to you.
Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:30 am

Dan gently prompted me today to include Labyrinth Lord copyright statements for my generators that rely on those products. I should have included them from day #1. I've updated all of them to include a copyright block for LL at the bottom. If you see one I missed, drop me a message so I can correct it.

Mea Culpa.
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord