Movies that inspire a game setting

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Movies that inspire a game setting

Postby Atomic Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 am

There are soooo many but I was watching a particular one tonight, now in fact and the consideration hit me...a very cool setting.

Wall-E

Now as with any movie, some measure of modification is in order to make it all work IMO. For Wall-E I would have the recycling bots harvesting, inventorying, and stacking the raw materials as well as the odd bot with a glitch that collects a certain thing...soda cans, keys, doll heads, etc.

As for the people left behind...I would have few.

Certainly a small people, 1' tall for example would be welcome...less resources (ok in a science fantasy game less, in real life the small one would use much more relative to size...but we are accepting spider goats so we move on :) )...harder to see and thus safer...etc.

Mutant plants would be high on my list...Mother Nature putting her foot down, vast areas of green (purple, orange, etc.)

A counter to the people...a classic mutant rats...vast empire of ratness.

Certainly the other common animals...cats, dogs, etc.

But I am seeing the small people being a focus point for this thought...maybe a large one being born every now and then, 2'.

Then all the bots...lots of bots...searching, recording, working, etc...

And the great ship...I would have it in lazy orbit...for many generations...the ship being a perfect lap of luxury and the people being fat and lazy...or...damaged and ruined with lots of problems...or...a little of both.

It comes back.

Sounds like great fun to me...it cuts down on the wide range of complete wackiness but full of color and potential.

Thoughts?
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Re: Movies that inspire a game setting

Postby 3llense'g » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Do video games count? Because if yes: Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood. Renaissance Italy, high level play (organizing you own guild), enough said. :)
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby sniderman » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:13 pm

I've always wanted to hammer out a MutFut source book for one post-apoc movie that I thought would be a hoot to explore:

Idiocracy
sniderman

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:03 am

3llense'g wrote:Do video games count? Because if yes: Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood. Renaissance Italy, high level play (organizing you own guild), enough said. :)

As a mutant future game?
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:05 am

sniderman wrote:I've always wanted to hammer out a MutFut source book for one post-apoc movie that I thought would be a hoot to explore:

Idiocracy

Would be a perfect Mutant Future setting IMO...tons of fun.

Go away, bating!
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby 3llense'g » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:45 am

Atomic Ray wrote:
3llense'g wrote:Do video games count? Because if yes: Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood. Renaissance Italy, high level play (organizing you own guild), enough said. :)

As a mutant future game?

Oh, sorry. I should check where a topic is before posting. xD
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby Atomic Ray » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:09 pm

3llense'g wrote:
Atomic Ray wrote:

As a mutant future game?

Oh, sorry. I should check where a topic is before posting. xD

No need to be sorry, I think the setting still has value in a MF game...overlay the basic societal information and it would be quite nice.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Malcadon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:17 am

As noted on this post, my list is the following:

Malcadon wrote:Movies:
Barbarella
Damnation Ally
Gandahar (aka Light Years)
Heavy Metal (Den and Taarna segments)
La Planète Sauvage (aka Fantastic Planet)
Logan's Run
The Omega Man
Sleeper
Westword/Futureworld
Zardoz
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:09 am

Quite the selection...pick one and let us know some of the changes if any you would apply to establish a MF game :)
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Gavin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Out of the list Malcadon posted, I do have to say that Zardoz is my favorite. It is just so strange and out there...I bought the DVD as soon as it was released years ago and it is still one of the releases I was most excited about. I think it was the second or third thing that I ordered through Amazon. I watch it at least once a year with some beers and a little bit of smokeable enhancement.

The one which would best work would be the Den and Taarna sections of Heavy Metal. It would be easy to combine the two settings and they would fit easily into Mutant Future setting. You could easily use the rules in the back of the book for adapting Labyrinth Lord characters to merge the rules and that would totally work.
Gavin

Next

Return to Mutant Future