Kingdom rules? Campaign?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Kingdom rules? Campaign?

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Any rules for playing a Kingdom type campaign like Birthright? Example- you have a certain amount of points/resources per turn to develop things- armies, increase population, collect food/taxes, etc.

Anything like this around now? I think it would be a great idea. I was wondering if there were any systems already in place.

Thanks!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Kingdom rules? Campaign?

Postby Dyson Logos » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:54 am

There are rules for domains in the BECMI Companion set - and thus there is probably a clone of it in the Dark Dungeons retroclone.

I've played in a few campaigns that got to dominion-level play, and have run a couple also. Those rules work okay.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby samwise7 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:44 pm

Hill Cantons is working on just such a thing right now. :)

http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/
"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients
http://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg
samwise7

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:39 am

samwise7 wrote:Hill Cantons is working on just such a thing right now. :)

http://hillcantons.blogspot.com/

I know! :D
I just wanted to know if there were any other "in print" rules out there. And Hill Canton doesnt have his system out for everyone to see yet.
Blood axe

Postby beedo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Companion style rules certainly seem to be something Goblinoid could take on in the future as the Labyrinth Lord Empire continues to grow - hopefully Dan is out there listening. (That, and I'd love to see an LL version of Oriental Adventures).

"All your books are belong to us".
beedo

Postby bighara » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Check out JB's BX Companion rules.

I did a review of it HERE
bighara

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:52 pm

bighara wrote:Check out JB's BX Companion rules.

I did a review of it HERE

Great- Thanks! I saw your review and just ordered it!!
Blood axe

Postby ckutalik » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Yeah it will be a while for our domain-level rules to be out in a final print version. I think they will be the widest-reaching presentation of such for classic D&D-like games to date, but all those pieces take some time to do well.

The companion set rules by Mentzer are relatively easy to find on Ebay and I heartily recommend them (I think they are better than the somewhat skimpy rules in B/X Companion myself).
ckutalik

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 pm

ckutalik wrote:Yeah it will be a while for our domain-level rules to be out in a final print version. I think they will be the widest-reaching presentation of such for classic D&D-like games to date, but all those pieces take some time to do well.

The companion set rules by Mentzer are relatively easy to find on Ebay and I heartily recommend them (I think they are better than the somewhat skimpy rules in B/X Companion myself).

The old Birthright game had cards to represent armies. Ive seen the Battlegrounds fantasy Warfare card game (in my other post) and have been thinking to incorporate it somehow.

Too bad Birthright is hard/expensive to find.
Blood axe

Postby beedo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:52 pm

ckutalik wrote:Yeah it will be a while for our domain-level rules to be out in a final print version. I think they will be the widest-reaching presentation of such for classic D&D-like games to date, but all those pieces take some time to do well.

I just had the opportunity to dust off the War Machine rules this past weekend, it'd been like 15+ years since I used them. They do what they need to, but I can see some issues.

Looking forward to the whole domain-level thing you're kicking around; some of the TSR guys have said the War and Domain rules worked (ie, they made sure they weren't broken) but weren't heavily tested back in the day.
beedo

Next

Return to Open Discussion