Amherth

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Amherth

Postby Gilliadson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Anything going on with Amherth? I have this town here that I made for the western coast of the Herth continent and also a short adventured to run out of it. Neither have been play-tested due to lack of finding players.
Gilliadson

Re: Amherth

Postby petespahn » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:39 pm

Yes there is! I'm in the process of finishing the City of Dolmvay which will be part of the first gazetteer titled Guidebook to the Duchy of Valnwall. The Amherth version of Dolmvay will be almost 90% open content (including the map) so anyone with a city-based adventure will be welcome to use it.

I'd love to take a look at what you've got. Hit me up at smallnichegames -at- gmail -dot- com!

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Skathros » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:24 pm

...fool of a Skathros!

I just realized that this is the same Amherth found in one of my favourite fantasy RPGs...IRON GAUNTLETS! Not sure how the LL version compares to the IG version, but I gotta say, the IG version was perfect for IG. Detailed enough for you to run it, yet sufficiently sparse for you to "make it your own"! Good job!
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby petespahn » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Skathros wrote:...fool of a Skathros!

I just realized that this is the same Amherth found in one of my favourite fantasy RPGs...IRON GAUNTLETS! Not sure how the LL version compares to the IG version, but I gotta say, the IG version was perfect for IG. Detailed enough for you to run it, yet sufficiently sparse for you to "make it your own"! Good job!

Hiya Skathros! In case you didn't know, Amherth started as my personal homebrew campaign as it has evolved over the past 20+ years. It is highly influenced by Mystara and Ravenloft, with a dash of Blackmoor-type science fantasy thrown into the mix. Brett Bernstein needed a super vanilla fantasy setting for his (excellent) Iron Gauntlets RPG so he stripped out all of the science fantasy bits and I didn't even include the entire continent of Amalor (half of which was decimated by a sci-fan cataclysm).

A few years ago I stumbled onto Labyrinth Lord and realized I could now republish the setting using the original system it was designed for! I reskinned the Kingdom of Arlen into the Duchy of Valnwall and published the Chronicles of Amherth as an overview of the entire setting. I had planned to write gazetteer-style guidebooks for all of the different nations, similar to the writeups for the Republic of Westport and the Kingdom of Tyr that are included in the Iron Gauntlets version, however, about that time, I moved, got promoted, and am now expecting my third child so free time to write is extremely scarce. I'm still plugging along, though!

One thing I tried to maintain was the ability to "make it your own" with little or no work. The world exists in the implied setting of D&D/LL for the most part, and most of the cultures are easily recognizable (vikings, Europeans, Arabs, etc.) making it easy for Labyrinth Lords to pick up and play. I wasn't try to reinvent the wheel here, just make something useful as a whole or something that could be easily mined for ideas.

All of my past and current adventures (Blood Moon Rising, Stealer of Children, Inn of Lost Heroes, etc.) are set in Amherth. I've been working on a Guidebook to the Duchy of Valnwall off and on for about three years now and have finally made some headway. One of my last releases was Ghoul Keep and the Ghoul Lands which details an undead kingdom north of the Duchy. My next Valnwall-related release will be the City of Dolmvay. I plan to make this city about 90% open content (including the map) to encourage others to publish city-based adventures there. After the Duchy of Valnwall guidebook I plan to expand on the writeups for the Republic of Westport and the Kingdom of Tyr.

Glad you liked the IG version!

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
petespahn

Postby petespahn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 am

And how's this for timing?

http://saveordie.info/?p=987

Doesn't start until about halfway through the podcast, but man I am overwhelmed by the comments and support.

Pete
Small Niche Games
petespahn

Postby odinist » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:44 pm

petespahn wrote:And how's this for timing?

http://saveordie.info/?p=987

Doesn't start until about halfway through the podcast, but man I am overwhelmed by the comments and support.

Pete

Yay, SOD! I'm Glen's DM Matt. :D
odinist

Return to Labyrinth Lord