Testing the waters... 16 questions for a new game :D

Post your online or in person gamer meetups here! Post here if seeking to start a game.

Re: Testing the waters... 16 questions for a new game :D

Postby tumblingdice » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Sumo, once you've got your scanner figured out, here's a few tips. If you're saving an image you have no intention of editing, like a module pic, save it as a JPEG file. If, however, you're saving an image you plan to edit and reuse, like a battle map, save it first as bitmap (.bmp) file if you can. These files take up more room than JPEGs, but they have better resolution.

You can edit JPEGs and bitmaps using Paint, to erase traps, secret doors, etc. Again, for combat maps, bitmaps are preferable. Once you've made your edits, save the file as a JPEG, BUT rename it! This way your original bitmap is intact. If you're running a battle, where you have to update the map every round, begin each map with your original bitmap file. If you edit your JPEG with Paint, and then keeping editing edits, the resolution will degrade. That's why the bitmap is better.

If you want to take a map from an existing PDF, open the PDF, then...

Tools --> Select & Zoom --> Snapshot tool

From here, select the portion of the page you want, then copy and paste it into a blank Paint document. Proceed as above.

Good luck!
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby Blood axe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 pm

1) Good or Evil Characters? I've been "DM'ing" since 1984 so I have experience in both.

I prefer good, or at least "neutral/mercenary".

2) Do you want to start at level 1 (or even level ZERO?) and build up your character, or do you want to start at a higher level?

I like level 1. But dont mind starting at a higher level for a "one-off".

3) If you want to start "higher level" - what level would you like to start? (this is an open forum - post your desires)

Levels 3-6.

4) Do you prefer to play a 'series' of modules like the Slavers A1-A4? Or would you prefer to play a more 'random' order of modules that takes your character from level 1 (or zero) to a higher level?

I dont think the adventures need to be connected. Most adventurerers wander around in search of gold/loot.

5) In that context, would you prefer a "sandbox" approach, or stick to modules?

I like to stick to the module, but you have to be prepared. Players can really surprise you.

6) What is your preferred 'frequency' of posting? Once a day, every other day, twice a week, once a week, etc.?

Once every two days or so.

7) How important are maps?

Maps are necessary.

8) How important are photos or pictures to the story?

Pictures always help. They can really get the players into the adventure.

9) How important is it to stick to the LL/AEC rules?

I like to stick fairly close to the rules. 90-95% Id say.

10) What is your opinion of "house rules"?

House rules are fine, as long as they are clearly explained before starting.

11) Do you prefer a DM that "progresses" characters, or tries to "counter" (aka - KILL) them? Perhaps you desire "challenge" or something in-between?

I want a challenge, but a fair one. I dont want a DM out to get me!

12) How important is NPC development in the context of "role playing"?

A fleshed-out NPC can really add to the game.

13) How important is 'Role Playing' YOUR character as opposed to simply reporting what your character does/says? *see rules for posting!

Role-playing in a game is great. Its like a bunch of actors really connecting in a good movie!

14) How important is LEVEL progression, or is it more about character development and story progression?

Level progression doesnt matter to me much. But its nice when your character get a little stronger. Gives a sense of accomplishment.

15) How important is treasure and magic items? Or is it more about character development? (remember - no RIGHT/WRONG answers)!

Im greedy. I want gold & loot! But not too much.

16) Do you prefer 'existing' campaign settings (like Dragonlance or Grey Hawk), or do you prefer 'created' settings?

Existing campaigns are good, because many players are familiar with them, or can research them without too much trouble.

Ive had some fun games here, and some really AWESOME players!
Thanks Sumo! You are the best! :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Mark » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:02 pm

1) Good or Evil Characters? I've been "DM'ing" since 1984 so I have experience in both.

I've played both. I do enjoy the evil side a bit more often than good. Both are a fun if the entire group is on board.

2) Do you want to start at level 1 (or even level ZERO?) and build up your character, or do you want to start at a higher level?

Usually level 1.

3) If you want to start "higher level" - what level would you like to start? (this is an open forum - post your desires)

If it starts higher, level 3-4 is the highest range I like as a starting point.

4) Do you prefer to play a 'series' of modules like the Slavers A1-A4? Or would you prefer to play a more 'random' order of modules that takes your character from level 1 (or zero) to a higher level?

More random than modules. Modules can be fun but often get repetitive. I like the spark of the unconstrained environment.

Mostly sandbox with modules in the mix.

6) What is your preferred 'frequency' of posting? Once a day, every other day, twice a week, once a week, etc.?

5-6 times / week.

Critical.

Nice if they are additive. I see them as bonuses not key elements.

Not crucial.

Completely fine as long as they are known.

11) Do you prefer a DM that "progresses" characters, or tries to "counter" (aka - KILL) them? Perhaps you desire "challenge" or something in-between?

I like all of the above. A blended approach with everything above in the mix is my preference.

If the game is focused on a story and playing through some epic matter, the NPCs are more important than knowing every quirk. A few notable NPCs are good to development but having a huge list makes it difficult to retain all of the bits and pieces.

13) How important is 'Role Playing' YOUR character as opposed to simply reporting what your character does/says? *see rules for posting!

I like an open environment where the character can do something crazy and cool within bounds. Playing the character up a bit is additive to the experience of a game.

14) How important is LEVEL progression, or is it more about character development and story progression?

Either can work well but I'd lean more toward character progression than pure levels.

15) How important is treasure and magic items? Or is it more about character development? (remember - no RIGHT/WRONG answers)!

All depends on the context of the game.

16) Do you prefer 'existing' campaign settings (like Dragonlance or Grey Hawk), or do you prefer 'created' settings?

I'd lean toward created settings. I like not knowing.
Mark

Postby tumblingdice » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:10 am

All right, Sumo. Now it's your turn. Answer your own questions, so that we can create the type of game YOU like to play. :D
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby Spanningtree » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:37 pm

Thats a good point, the GM has to find the game interesting or it will fall apart mid-play.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Funny, this line of questions made me think back to when I first stated playing... our DM (who was pretty good, all things considered) used to take us through modules with no real cohesion, campaign world, etc. You'd start with something like the Keep on the Borderlands, then move to something in the desert, then on to someplace in Greyhawk, etc. But its odd how much fun that was. It was simple, no ties, no background to worry about, just some crazy raw adventuring. Would that satisfy me today, no, of course not. But when I think back as to why that was so much fun, it was because it was simple, no background, nothing to concern yourself with or remember. We didn't have houserules, or anything like that. If it was in the boxed set or books, that's how we did it.

I'm glad to have found this board, LL, and the OSR revolution. It's always struck me how cool it is to have gone from simple, to slightly more complex, to complex to off-the-charts-complex back to the old school rules. In retrospect, I don't know why someone didn't think of this sooner. charts, tables, graphs, fancy unintelligible character skill sets, etc. Give me OSR anyday.

Sorry to wax philosophical... by if you create a new game, I reserve the right to be included, and with my non-implemented idea for a halfling that looks like Tom Selleck. And no, not the "Blue Bloods" Tom Selleck, but the happy, ladies man Magnum P.I. Tom Selleck.

Hey, it's an idea. And I'm willing to relenquish my Elven "Mr. T" lookalike concept too...
badams30

Postby greyarea » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 pm

badams30 wrote:Funny, this line of questions made me think back to when I first stated playing... our DM (who was pretty good, all things considered) used to take us through modules with no real cohesion, campaign world, etc. You'd start with something like the Keep on the Borderlands, then move to something in the desert, then on to someplace in Greyhawk, etc. But its odd how much fun that was. It was simple, no ties, no background to worry about, just some crazy raw adventuring. Would that satisfy me today, no, of course not.

I'd have to say that I'd probably be satisfied by that. Not for every campaign I was in, perhaps, but more often than not.
greyarea

Postby connivingsumo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 am

badams30 wrote:if you create a new game, I reserve the right to be included, and with my non-implemented idea for a halfling that looks like Tom Selleck. And no, not the "Blue Bloods" Tom Selleck, but the happy, ladies man Magnum P.I. Tom Selleck.

Hey, it's an idea. And I'm willing to relenquish my Elven "Mr. T" lookalike concept too...

It's okay, I have a Scott Baio Gnome and an Erick Estrada Half-Orc.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby badams30 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:05 am

Dang, Eric Estrada? Too bad you didn't think of that for the Daggerford thing, we could have found a "John" for your "Ponch." It would have been like CHiPS, except the Daggerford Militia.

Hmmm...
badams30

Postby connivingsumo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:07 am

I like to do both IF the DM knows how to run an evil adventure; I have absolutely no desire to play a schizophrenic-sociopath when I can run around and do that in real life. :shock: :?

I never care; level zero or level 12 is all good to me.

Whatever ~ I'm good.

I like a "run" of modules, or the ability to use the same character in different (consecutive, not simultaneous) games so it levels up.

I like both.

I say 'daily' but it's just not realistic for me - though I try. 5 times per week is a good goal.

I love maps... except when I don't know how to scan & edit them! :oops:

I like pics.

I like to stick to the rules except for where it gets stupid, like a Dwarf not being able to use a 2H Weapon.

I like 'house rules' and tweaks.

I like challenge, but the point - for me - is level progression.

I like NPCs but I leave it up to the DM; I don't have much expectation around this.

I like when I can do it well, but I don't think I really do it that well... so I just mostly "report" what my toon does.

It's all about level progression to me, with a tad of character development; otherwise I would play ATWTRPG (As The World Turns RPG) where there's a butt-ton of character development but no level (or time) progression! :lol:

Yea... see #14, it's all about levels and magic items for me. Sadly, I'm shallow.

I like both.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer Gatherings