Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

For discussion of other games.

Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

Postby Thakazum » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 am

Has anyone had a look at this yet? I've played around with character creation and read some of the rules. Any thoughts?

Beta Rules

Excerpt from the What It Is, And What It Isn’t thread on the Goodman Games forum:
It is not a retro-clone.
It is an OGL game.
It uses a rules engine derived from the 3E d20 system.
It is not compatible with 1970s/1980s D&D rules.
It plays like a 1970s OD&D session.
It is generally compatible with other d20-derived systems.
It does not include complexities like attacks of opportunity, prestige classes, feats, or skill points.
It does not utilize miniatures or a grid-based combat system.
It utilizes races as classes -- you can be a warrior, or an elf.
It utilizes six ability scores, including one called Luck.
It is built on the assumption that some characters will die.
It is built on the assumption that the strongest characters will provide long-term campaigns.
It is built for low-level, mid-level, and high-level play.
It does not require that you start at 0-level (though doing so is fun).
It does not use the traditional D&D spell system associated with memorizing spells.
It uses spellcasting rules influenced by the foundational authors of swords & sorcery.
It uses a Vancian magic system…if you use the term “Vancian” to mean “based on a reading of Vance’s original works,” not “what D&D does.”
It is grounded in the fundamentals of Appendix N.
It is a proud descendant of a long tradition.
It is an opportunity to showcase outstanding art in a classic fantasy style.
It is lots of fun to play.
It primarily uses the conventional dice suite: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20. Most combat and spell checks are resolved with a d20 roll.
It also utilizes Zocchi dice. All of them. Including the d5, d7 and d24.
It is, in my humble opinion, a version of what D&D could have been, if the early pioneers had access to an existing, robust rules engine to which to adapt their Appendix N inspirations, instead of dedicating their energies to building the foundational blocks from scratch.
It is, as Harley described it early on, “pre-D&D swords & sorcery.”
Thakazum

Re: Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

Postby kaomera » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:31 am

Looks quality, but not really my thing. I hope they do well with it nonetheless.
kaomera

Postby Blood axe » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:03 am

I'll get it- looks sweet. Not sure if I'll actually play it...

Look at the art on pages 17, 19, 49. Any "old time" gamer will recognize these pics.......not exact copies, but....
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Thakazum » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:56 pm

It's definitely an homage (or more?) to old school gaming. The things that (so far) I find interesting:
  • Strict randomized character creation
  • Players create a portfolio of 0-level characters, most will die
  • The surviving characters choose their class at level 1
  • Alignment has an effect on how your class works
  • Cleric turning is based on alignment and expanded to include more than just undead but anything your alignment considers 'unholy'
  • Warriors and wizards get a mechanic that accommodates player creativity (Mighty Deed of Arms and Supernatural Patrons respectively)
  • The art is great, although some of it is so much like actual old-school art it makes my brain hurt.
  • Cthulhu
Thakazum

Postby greyarea » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:33 pm

It looks very cool. Love the old school art, myself.

I would love to find a group to play with.

I think the character creation mechanic is interesting (create four 0-level characters and the survivor is your character -- strange). I think the magic system looks fantastic and a variation of it could make a cool house-rule add-on for LL. Heck, I want to play just to see the magic rules in action. :)
greyarea

Postby Wizardawn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Blood axe wrote:I'll get it- looks sweet. Not sure if I'll actually play it...

Then why would you buy it? Do you buy any fantasy role-playing game as a matter of being a "collector"? This isn't a question leading to right or wrong...but simple curiosity. If you have "Labyrinth Lord" (for example), and you are happy with the game system...why would you buy another game system? Does LL lack something you search for? Are you hoping to find a "better" game system? I stick to one fantasy role-playing game system. I am happy with the system I use and do not want to muddy the waters with remembering which rules go with which game system (I have enough problems remembering which version of D&D did what sometimes). I can imagine newer gamers buying these...as they are trying to find their path, but you seemed to have been gaming for awhile. I remember seeing a Palladium book in the 80's and asked what the game was like. It was described as D&D but they do things a bit different. That was not enough for us to switch and learn the new rules or quirks that go with it...when we already knew AD&D. Like I said, I don't want to turn this into a right/wrong debate...but more of a why I don't buy (or do buy) these products.

- Djeryv
Wizardawn

Postby Thakazum » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Not really related to your question there (which isn't even directed at me) but DCC markets itself to experienced players. For example, it expects that you have the standard set of polyhedral dice but introduces "zocchi" dice for d3, d5, d7, d14, d16, d24, and d30. A few of those are used in character creation.

About the art, I love it. It's the best thing about it really. Sometimes it's just so close to familiar pieces from early editions that it's uncanny.

I'm actually looking forward to rolling up some fodder for this ;-)

Haven't quite delved into the magic system as I spent all my time so far reading about creation and all the classes. There's a surprising number of pages dedicated to each class considering the old-school mentality they have.

Also, it has flavor baked into the rules - which I like as a change of pace.
Thakazum

Postby Blood axe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:30 am

djeryv wrote:
Blood axe wrote:I'll get it- looks sweet. Not sure if I'll actually play it...

Then why would you buy it? Do you buy any fantasy role-playing game as a matter of being a "collector"? This isn't a question leading to right or wrong...but simple curiosity. If you have "Labyrinth Lord" (for example), and you are happy with the game system...why would you buy another game system? Does LL lack something you search for? Are you hoping to find a "better" game system? I stick to one fantasy role-playing game system. I am happy with the system I use and do not want to muddy the waters with remembering which rules go with which game system (I have enough problems remembering which version of D&D did what sometimes). I can imagine newer gamers buying these...as they are trying to find their path, but you seemed to have been gaming for awhile. I remember seeing a Palladium book in the 80's and asked what the game was like. It was described as D&D but they do things a bit different. That was not enough for us to switch and learn the new rules or quirks that go with it...when we already knew AD&D. Like I said, I don't want to turn this into a right/wrong debate...but more of a why I don't buy (or do buy) these products.

- Djeryv

Its a book isnt it? I like to read. I like to game. Its a game- book! Best of both worlds. It might have some cool ideas in it.

They say its not a retro-clone- but Elf is a class. (along with dwarf, halfling) So no Elf Thief, or Dwarf Cleric- just Elf or Dwarf. Huh? Not a retro-clone?
Blood axe

Postby Wizardawn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 am

Blood axe wrote:Its a book isnt it? I like to read. I like to game. Its a game- book! Best of both worlds. It might have some cool ideas in it.

You sound like a Reese's commercial...

Your game is in my book. Your book is in my game. Two great tastes that go great together.

...or maybe like those pillow pet commercials.

- Djeryv
Wizardawn

Postby Blood axe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

LOL! :D
Blood axe

Next

Return to Other Games