SAVE(ing) the world?

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

SAVE(ing) the world?

Postby Bisikoff » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:27 pm

The not-quite-elephant in the room for Cryptworld, I think, is that the official Chill background was split off (and not part of Goblinoid Games' acquisition of Pacesetter properties) ... and this mainly means the S.A.V.E. organization.

Of course, CMs are free to include it (the first or second edition incarnations) regardless. CW instead comes with more advice on creating organizations, and offers some new samples (ISCX, DAPA, Smithsonian Institute's Special Collections Division, the Societas Malleus et Sudis, and the Weekly Inquisitor). All nifty(and SMeS is likely closest in spirit - heh - to S.A.V.E.

One thought I've had is to pull a reboot and capitalize on the history - and death - of the old S.A.V.E. My recollection - I don't have my 2nd ed book on hand atm- is that S.A.V.E. was under strong (counter)attack by the Unknown, loosing chapter houses and effectively gone underground and scattered if not dead. This was at the timeline of the last published edition of Chill, of course, and about 20-ish years ago if CMs are picking up with a contemporary release of CW.

So, my idea is to have PCs be legacies of S.A.V.E. Envoys - children, relatives, children of associates ... whatever. 20 - 30 years ago, they disappeared, died. The first adventure could bring the PCs together, and either set up a commonality or have the 2nd adventure hook relate to it. The PCs begin to learn about the role the Unknown has had in their past, the destruction of this unnamed group, and a strong reminder to be highly cautious in the future. The Unknown perhaps has even lost track of the descendants, assuming their destruction so complete.

Thoughts? What are folks using for their PC organizations, if any?
Bisikoff

Re: SAVE(ing) the world?

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Sounds reasonable. Bear in mind I am mainly interested in Pacesetter, so the additional info about SAVE that Mayfair created I don't know much about, but in the Pacesetter version there wasn't much more to SAVE than there is to the five groups we present. I never thought SAVE was very interesting, so not much of a loss from my perspective. But I realize that's just me and other people care more about that. There wasn't much about SAVE that was unique, I suppose is what I mean.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby DavetheLost » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:54 pm

SAVE was probably the aspect of Chill that I liked least. I am not sure exactly why by the concept of a global secret organization fighting organized Darkness just never jelled with me.

I do like Bisikof's idea for a legacy reboot though.

I don't currently have a campaign going. When I start one I am thinking about combining Crypt World and Majus to run an urban fantasy game without plugging the players into an organization to start off.
DavetheLost

Postby Bisikoff » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:Sounds reasonable. Bear in mind I am mainly interested in Pacesetter, so the additional info about SAVE that Mayfair created I don't know much about, but in the Pacesetter version there wasn't much more to SAVE than there is to the five groups we present. I never thought SAVE was very interesting, so not much of a loss from my perspective. But I realize that's just me and other people care more about that. There wasn't much about SAVE that was unique, I suppose is what I mean.

Having gotten my exposure to Pacesetter's Chill via magazine articles (and a brief glimpse at the boxed set somewhere in '85/'86), I only had the updated version via Mayfair. The main thing I found interesting about it was the "underground" symbol they used (the indalo, I believe), and the fact that evil had been hunting them. In the intervening years since, there's been plenty of rpg and non-rpg media like organizations. I think you're both more objective on it than me (I blame the coffee. The sweet, sweet coffee ...).

For Cryptworld, I think perhaps the essence of the idea would be to have the PC's inducted (or even form) a new evil hunting group based on legacy status ... and the idea that the actual legacy group had been unlucky, uncautious, or ...
Bisikoff

Postby seneschal » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:54 pm

I recently stumbled across Greg Taylor's Killer Pizza: The Slice and read the first couple chapters.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9628653-the-slice

It is by no means well written but I love the concept. The agency fighting to rescue humanity from the horrors of the unknown isn't SAVE, isn't a collection of Miskatonic U. professors, but an international fast food chain. :D
seneschal

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:13 pm

Bisikoff wrote:For Cryptworld, I think perhaps the essence of the idea would be to have the PC's inducted (or even form) a new evil hunting group based on legacy status ... and the idea that the actual legacy group had been unlucky, uncautious, or ...

Sounds good. For me, the main point to any organization in a game like this is that it serves as a way to unite possibly widely different characters and to thrust them intro situations without the need for a lot of lead in. You can have adventures lead into the other, but you also have the option of something more episodic. Just more flexibility. In other words as a plot device. But for me the focus should always be on great adventures; I'm not so interested in having a highly detailed organization like what SAVE became in the Mayfair edition. It achieves a sort of metagame state that doesn't interest me in part because I feel that the plots, villains, and general development of your organization are more enjoyable if they develop in play. Reams of background material that you are supposed to adhere to can be daunting. So IMHO there should be a balance of info to get you going, a skeleton from which you build the flesh through play.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby petespahn » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:42 am

Goblinoid Games wrote:Sounds good. For me, the main point to any organization in a game like this is that it serves as a way to unite possibly widely different characters and to thrust them intro situations without the need for a lot of lead in. You can have adventures lead into the other, but you also have the option of something more episodic. Just more flexibility. In other words as a plot device. But for me the focus should always be on great adventures; I'm not so interested in having a highly detailed organization like what SAVE became in the Mayfair edition. It achieves a sort of metagame state that doesn't interest me in part because I feel that the plots, villains, and general development of your organization are more enjoyable if they develop in play. Reams of background material that you are supposed to adhere to can be daunting. So IMHO there should be a balance of info to get you going, a skeleton from which you build the flesh through play.

From a publishing perspective, the benefit of this type of organization of course is that it lends itself to a default style of play. It's very hard to write adventures for a diverse group of PCs, especially the "hook" portion that gets them all involved. Having an organization like SAVE or whatever, gives you an automatic starting point, much like being part of the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars or an Adventurer's Guild in a fantasy RPG.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby sniderman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:59 am

petespahn wrote:From a publishing perspective, the benefit of this type of organization of course is that it lends itself to a default style of play. It's very hard to write adventures for a diverse group of PCs, especially the "hook" portion that gets them all involved. Having an organization like SAVE or whatever, gives you an automatic starting point, much like being part of the Rebel Alliance in Star Wars or an Adventurer's Guild in a fantasy RPG.

True, it certainly makes the intro easier when it's "You're contacted by SAVE, UNCLE, CONTROL, MI5, etc. and told to go investigate whatever." What I've done with CW adventures I've written is give the CM several "hooks" to use depending on the nature of the PCs:

The players are invited to attend a press conference being held by Dr. Howard Eastman at his research facility in Kentucky. The doctor’s press release hints that he is about to announce a medical breakthrough that will “eradicate human illness and suffering forever.” It is left to the Crypt Master to justify why the PCs are attending the presentation:

• If one of the PC has a medical background, he may be intrigued by the doctor’s implication, inviting the other PCs to tag along.
• If the PCs have a journalism background, they may be tasked by their employer to cover the announcement.
• Because of Dr. Eastman’s questionable medical ethics in the past, a PC with an investigation or police background may be hired to see if the doctor has violated any laws and regulations.
• Some of the secret societies and governmental agencies the PCs could belong to are suspicious of Dr. Eastman’s past “miracle cures.” The PCs are sent to investigate any nefarious or otherworldly experimentation going on.

Also, CW has several pre-existing in-world organizations that the CM and players may have decided to use beforehand, so their alliance and motivation is probably already defined before the game begins.
sniderman

Return to CRYPTWORLD