Magic-users and the quarterstaff

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Magic-users and the quarterstaff

Postby Blood axe » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:02 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:I switched to variable damage by class instead of variable damage by weapon, and allow everyone to wield whatever they want.

Does it vary with missiles/melee?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby tumblingdice » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:40 am

From p. 16 of the player's book of the D&D Master Rules:

"The DM may, if desired, widen the number of weapons permitted to magic-users to include the following: blowgun, net, whip, and staff. However, many campaigns function perfectly well with magic-users restricted to dagger only."

Of course, I'm not sure how many of us bothered with the Master Rules (26th-36th level characters, anyone?), but it is there in writing.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby elf23 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Blood axe wrote:Gandalf & Saruman just wouldnt seem the same.

I dunno, as someone else said, I never envisioned the wizards in Lord of the Rings engaging in staff combat until the films came out.

Blood axe wrote:Isnt 1E , dagger, dart, staff? On another note, never understood the dart thing.

Yep. This is what I mean by me having been AD&Dised... I'd forgotten that the rule allowing MUs to use a staff in combat was only in AD&D, not in basic.

Agreed that darts are weird. They are totally the weapon of choice for a 1st level MU in AD&D, I think. How does one explain that!? :D
elf23

Postby elf23 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:I switched to variable damage by class instead of variable damage by weapon, and allow everyone to wield whatever they want.

Yeah I think I'd be inclined to go this way too, if I wanted to house rule the matter.
elf23

Postby Blood axe » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:45 pm

I agree, i didnt like the Gandalf vs Saruman fight scene.

In Thieves World, there is a MU that uses a sword. He doesnt get respect as a spellcaster, because if he was good, he wouldnt need a sword.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby elf23 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:00 am

Blood axe wrote:In Thieves World, there is a MU that uses a sword. He doesnt get respect as a spellcaster, because if he was good, he wouldnt need a sword.

Haha, nice :D
elf23

Postby Black Wyvern » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:40 am

Blood axe wrote:

I tinkered with a similar rule where each class had an assigned dice for light, one handed, two handed and device missile weapons. Everyone could use whatever weapon they wanted but a two handed weapon for a dwarf was the same damage die as a one handed weapon. Elves did more damage with missile weapons. I think this rule, whatever variant is used makes the arch-type classes more universal.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Postby greyarea » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:58 am

Interesting rule, Black Wyvern. How did it work in your campaign? What did the players think of it?
greyarea

Postby Dyson Logos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:42 am

Blood axe wrote:

Weapons come in three categories - light, standard and heavy

Light Weapons (-1 die step) are daggers, short swords, short bows, slings, clubs
Standard Weapons (standard damage) are axes, swords, long bows, light crossbows
Heavy Weapons (+1 die step) are two-handed axes and swords, heavy crossbows

Primary Combat Classes (Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Knight, Barbarian, Smasher, Tree-Hurler, Orc, Dwarf, Noble, etc) deal 1d8 base damage

Semi-Combat & Small Classes (Thief, Cleric, Assassin, Goblin, Halfling, Acrobat, Bard, Merchant Prince, etc) deal 1d6 base damage

Non-Combat Classes (Magic-User, Demonologist, Enchanter, Peasant, Very Little Anthropomorphic Mice, etc) deal 1d4 base damage

Dice Steps work as follows 1d4/1d6/1d8/1d10

So a fighter with a two-handed weapon deals 1d10, a magic user with most weapons deals 1d4 (unless he's wielding a polearm for 1d6), and a thief with a sword deals 1d6.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby greyarea » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:57 am

The dice steps remind me of DCC
greyarea

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord