Weaponless Combat Procedure

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Weaponless Combat Procedure

Postby aspiringlich » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:20 am

I've been trying for quite some time to come up with a procedure for weaponless combat that goes beyond the bare bones rule given in LL (pg. 53) but still stays true to the "basic" spirit of Labyrinth Lord and doesn't overly complicate things. Here's what I've settled upon:

Pummeling

Normal melee attack, d2+STR modifier subdual damage.

Grappling

Grappling attacks may only be made against creatures of equal or smaller size (unless defender is prone) and both hands must be free. If defender has a weapon, he rolls to hit each attacker attempting to grapple. Any attackers that are hit are fended off. (No fending off attack is granted if the defender is surprised.) Remaining attackers and defender each roll XdY, where X=combat level (20-THAC0) and dY=hit die type (monsters with less than 1 HD roll d6).

I. If the attackers' roll is higher, then the defender is grappled (cannot move, +2 to be hit without DEX bonus to AC, -2 to hit). The grapple is maintained until: (a) the defender is released, (b) the defender makes a successful melee attack against each grappling opponent, or (c) the defendant makes a successful counter-grappling attack, using the opposed roll procedure.

II. If the defender's roll is higher, then the attackers are thrown off and the defender (if armed) is granted a free melee attack against one of the attackers.

III. If the rolls are tied, then the combatants are struggling and the procedure is repeated in the next round.

Overbearing

Overbearing attacks may be made against creatures of any size. If defender has a weapon, he rolls to hit each attacker attempting to overbear. Any attackers that are hit are fended off. Remaining attackers and defender each roll XdY, where X=combat level and dY=die type by size (sm=d4, md=d6, lg=d8).

I. If the attackers' roll is higher, then the defender is knocked prone and stunned (unable to act, +4 to be hit without DEX or shield bonus to AC) for one round, unless he makes a successful save vs. breath attacks, in which case the attackers are thrown off.

II. If the defender's roll is higher, then the attackers are thrown off and the defender (if armed) is granted a free melee attack against one of the attackers.

III.If the rolls are tied, then the combatants are struggling and the procedure is repeated in the next round.

I'm beginning a new campaign soon, so I'll report back on how this works out in practice.
Last edited by aspiringlich on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aspiringlich

Re: Weaponless Combat Procedure

Postby jrodman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:34 am

Seems reasonable.

I've generally used completely adhoc calls for simple cases, or sometimes the BECMI rules for scenarios where it really ends up being a focus. This is much more of an 'active contest' ruleset with the grappling than BECMI has which is more a set of attacks and stat comparisons. The active contenst here seems .. not that much like most B/X combat to me, but it fits the activity. I like it.
jrodman

Re: Weaponless Combat Procedure

Postby aspiringlich » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:14 am

I agree, it does involve a degree of complexity that's probably a bit out of tune with B/X, but it seems to me that this kind of fighting is different enough from standard combat that it needs its own mechanic. It's purpose is to get the defender into a disadvantageous position so that damage can then be dealt more effectively, rather than actually doing damage. I've also seen the roll d20 vs. a static defense target number in action (*cough*Pathfinder*cough) and found it kind of bland and boring. I thought this way might make things a little more exciting.

I should add, I'm not the originator of this approach. I got it from some OD&D guys and just added a few tweaks of my own.
aspiringlich

Return to Labyrinth Lord