Return to the Manor

greyarea's Labyrinth Lord game

Moderator: greyarea

Re: Return to the Manor

Postby Craigers07 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Furuk - Fighter

"I'm for checking out that manor. We'll wait for your return Grimes."

Furuk waits with the others and keeps an eye out for ogres.
Craigers07

Postby kjc » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 am

Shae - Fighter/Mage
"I hope your boy remembers that being invisible does not make him immune from tripwires and pits," Shae says softly. Turning quickly towards the others, "I am sorry, clearly you gentlemen are quite skilled. Castinus often tells me that I can be quite the 'mother hen'. I tend to worry over my team mates. And of course Grimes is not a boy...you just all seem so young to me...what I mean is...maybe I should just stop talking." she says, suddenly very uncomfortable.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby greyarea » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 am

The others wait behind as Castinus scouts ahead with Grimes invisibly trailing him.

He gets closer to the manor area while moving silently (secret roll) and hiding in shadows (secret roll).

The manor grounds stand in ruins after several centuries of neglect. Remains of a few structures can be found with most remaining walls having been worn down to 3 to 5 feet in height. Two structures have withstood the test of time – the old keep and a 20 foot tall tower near the old crypts. There is a well that has remained mostly intact also. In the hillside to the west of the manor structures is a staircase descending into the depths.

Just as he gets close enough to the manor to spy all of this, he notices four ogres milling about, seeming to be keeping watch. Castinus takes a careful step and hears a *snap* from under his foot. The ogres look up and see him. He must have failed his rolls because they are coming his way.

Grimes, invisible behind him, notices this. The others don't know of the new friends our intrepid thief has made... yet.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Grimes 46/46
--Furuk 51/51
Dieter 27/27
--Dandy 33/33
Castinus 29/29
--Shaelyyndenel 19/19
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:22 am

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes will hasten forward, whispering as he passes Castinus "Get the others, I'll hold these things off..."

He'll cast web from his cloak at the mass of ogres, hoping to ensnare them all, or as many as possible. Then he'll draw his sword of dismembering and get busy.

QUESTION: I know that when I attack, I become visible. How many times a day can I use the ring? What I am getting at is if I go at these fools, attack and become visible, might I try to run off and become invisible again if I am in over my head?
badams30

Postby greyarea » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:39 am

ANSWER: Per LL p 50: "In encounters and during combat, time is measured at the most minute scale of any other kind of action. Time commences in units of rounds, which are 10 seconds each. There are 6 rounds to a minute and 60 rounds to a turn." Since the ring is described as "Once each turn, this ring grants the wearer the ability to become invisible as the spell invisibility," I'm going to say that if the invisibility is broken in combat due to attack or other means, it's on one round of combat and the ring cannot be reinvoked for another turn (or 59 rounds).

Since the spell is of "indefinite duration" unless an attack is made (or it is otherwise dispelled), Grimes can put on the ring and be invisible for as long as he wears it unless he attacks (or the ring is otherwise dispelled) at which point the need to wait until the next turn (60 rounds total). You can use the ring as often as you'd like, within those bounds.

So to answer this question: "What I am getting at is if I go at these fools, attack and become visible, might I try to run off and become invisible again if I am in over my head?" the answer is, you'd have to have 59 rounds (effectively 10 minutes) until the ring will work again making it almost impossible to reenable in the fashion you suggest.

Make sense?
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:48 am

Thanks - perfect sense.

To the intensely foolish go the spoils. My actions stay the same. Yeeeehhhhaaaaaawwww!
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Castinus winces at the sound of the twig.

OC: How far away are the ogres? Does Castinus have time to fire off a shot with his bow of doubling before running back to warn the others? If so, then he'll fire at the most convenient target first.

Either way, he'll run back and start yelling "Ogres! Four of them!"
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby greyarea » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:08 pm

The closest is about 40' away. He will be there in two turns. The others are right behind and will probably also get to strike at that time. You can get off a shot but then they'd be right on your heels as you run.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Dieter - Mage

Upon hearing the alert Dieter will run to help.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby Craigers07 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 am

Furuk - Fighter

Furuk draws his sword and runs to meet the ogres.
Craigers07

PreviousNext

Return to Skull Mountain