Labyrinth Lord the computer game

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: Labyrinth Lord the computer game

Postby Apercu » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:38 am

kipper wrote:Just curious if there's been any recent progress :)?

I second that. This looks like my kind of game.
Dungeon Squad!!! http://hotdc.blogspot.com/2007/10/dungeon-squad-version-15.html
Heroes of the Dungeon Crawl Basic Charts Edition http://hotdc.blogspot.com/2007/09/you-can-not-get-hotdc-basic-charts-at.html
Apercu

Postby kingius » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:18 am

After a long hiatus, I'm considering returning to creating a computerised version of Labyrinth Lord. I'm wondering how much interest there still is in a Labyrinth Lord computer game? Would interest extend into possibly backing the development somehow?

I'm considering resuming, or possibly restarting the project and reinventing it as a dungeon crawl in the vein of Legend of Grimrock / Eye of the Beholder / Dungeon Master but with procedurally generated levels so that the game is different every time it is played. With the second approach perhaps the game is a 9 level dungeon with a town on top for trading and resting (and so forth).
kingius

Postby Omote » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:04 pm

Why stop the previous effort?

~O
Omote

Postby kipper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Sorry to say, but I personally wouldn't be interested in a procedurally generated game.
kipper

Postby YamItheonly1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:49 pm

I would love to play a Labyrinth Lord computer game
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
YamItheonly1

Postby kingius » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Why stop the previous effort?

It's just one option open to me, redeveloping the engine so that it ran in full 3D.

Sorry to say, but I personally wouldn't be interested in a procedurally generated game.

That does surprise me as we all love our random treasure tables and wandering monster charts, so it didn't seem like such a big jump to also include random dungeon layouts as well.
kingius

Postby kipper » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:20 pm

kingius wrote:That does surprise me as we all love our random treasure tables and wandering monster charts, so it didn't seem like such a big jump to also include random dungeon layouts as well.

I think it's one thing to throw a few random elements into a game, but it's another thing altogether to have the entire game level being generated randomly (even if there are certain rules it's following).

In my experience, I find computer games with procedurally generated levels to be unsatisfying. I like games with planned maps & planned encounters.
kipper

Postby kingius » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:05 am

Here is what the project could look like, revamped with a new engine (actual, working code):

Imagehttp://www.third-impression.com/images/ll11.jpg

The hand on the back right character is highlighted in red because unarmed attacks are not permitted from the back row of the party. For some reason the forum seems to have cut the far right hand side of the image off so I've included a link to the full image. This is not using a procedurally generated level, instead this level is a hand crafted work in progress.
kingius

Postby kipper » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Looking good! :)

(The image appears correctly/uncropped on my monitor)
kipper

Postby kingius » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:44 am

This is now live on Kickstarter for those who wish to back the project. Please spread the word and help me secure the funds to complete the project!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/552978902/labyrinth-lord-the-computer-game

On reflection I am not planning on reinventing the combat engine, I'll save that for another, future project.
kingius

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord