Character Generator

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Character Generator

Postby adad64 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:06 pm

I got tired of so many dang rolls for making new characters and needed to practice my rusty PHP skills anyway so I went and made a simple character generator for Mutant Future. It can be found here: http://www.hyrulecastle.net/randomcrap/mutantfuturechar.php

It can accept race and num as GET parameters and can be used like so: http://www.hyrulecastle.net/randomcrap/mutantfuturechar.php?race=Pure Human&num=2 to generate 2 pure human characters. They default to making one character of a random race. The possible race values are:

Pure Human
Replicant Android
Basic Android
Synthetic Android
Mutant Human
Mutant Animal
Mutant Plant

Make sure they are capitalized correctly with a single space in between and all that. Also for printing some browsers have this annoying default print option to ignore background images, so make sure that is turned off. Later features will include adding more mutations from supplements and going through the mutations and making any stat changes as necessary and roll for anything needed to be generated on character creation (what type of energy, how dwarfed or giant you are, etc.) as well as make a basic description of what it does off to the side.

All the fields are contenteditable so you can change anything manually before you print. I'm considering making it possible to save and restore using a username and password but that will come later if at all. If you have any suggestions or see any bugs let me know! :) Hopefully this can cut down the already short character creation time and get to the spidergoat slaying!

-Adad64
adad64

Re: Character Generator

Postby Wizardawn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:18 pm

adad64 wrote:Make sure they are capitalized correctly with a single space in between and all that.

Look into doing pull down menus for the areas you need specific information/choices. In this example, you would have a pulldown for the "type" so they have no choice but to pick the options you present.

If you need some ideas for a generation interface, check out this OSRIC character generator I made. I primarily made it for mass character/henchman creation (kinda like a Rogues Gallery) but it came in handy for when my kids' characters would die and we needed one quickly to keep the game going.
Wizardawn

Postby adad64 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Yes, I need to make a page before that that allows you to set options like race, 3d6 or 4d6 drop lowest, what expansions to use, etc. For now it's mainly set to my standards for home-use so I can just refresh and print out a character when someone dies but I'm looking to make it a bit better for the rest of us out there.
adad64

Postby maoglone » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 am

This is awesome. I'll probably use this for npc's in the adventures I'm working on for a group I'm putting together. *bookmarked* Thanks for doing this!
maoglone

Postby mountainmoksha » Wed May 13, 2015 2:41 pm

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but I've been thinking about putting together a character generator for a while (I'm fluent in C++ and python).

Is there anything still floating around out there that you know of, or have they all gone, as my father would have said, the way of the Great Auk?
mountainmoksha

Postby Malcadon » Fri May 15, 2015 2:35 am

mountainmoksha wrote:Is there anything still floating around out there that you know of, or have they all gone, as my father would have said, the way of the Great Auk?

Yeah... activity has been really light for a bit. There have been some conversation, but not much activity. If you have anything to contribute, go ahead. It might get people talking again.

And, welcome to the Mutant Future community.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Return to Mutant Future