Can the answer please not be...

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

Can the answer please not be...

Postby DavetheLost » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:01 am

Chill? I logged on today and noticed that several questions were answered by saying "see old Chill material, after all it is fully compatible with CryptWorld".

I am sorry but this is amateurish at best. It makes me think that the Pacesetter line (especially Cryptworld) will not be fully and properly supported. Why should we have to track down long out of print supplements for a different game by a different company to play Cryptworld?

Would Labyrinth Lord players be refered to Dungeons and Dragons books? Or Mutant Future questions be answered by saying "it's in Gamma World 3e"?
DavetheLost

Re: Can the answer please not be...

Postby DavetheLost » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:03 am

Sorry if this sounds overly snarky. But, I don't have a full library of a hill products and really don't want to spend the time and money required to track them down. I would far rather spend my money on new Pacesetter products from Goblinoid Games.

That and I would like to see those who have old Chill products or just good ideas write some up and either post them in the forums or submit them to Goblinoid. Makes the line look better supported and shows life to it.
DavetheLost

Postby sniderman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:21 am

So I should throw out all of my old basic D&D modules because they don't have the Lab Lord logo? I shouldn't run any AD&D stuff with my OSRIC rules?

And should I not use any Rotworld or Majus material in my Cryptworld game because Rotworld is Rotworld and Majus is Majus and Cryptworld is Cryptworld, and "compatibility be damned?"

Or, until Cryptworld-branded material is written and produced and released, isn't it a good idea to suggest that fans of the new system be encouraged to find and use other completely compatible games and supplements such as Rotworld? And Timemaster? And Majus? And Star Ace? And, yes, even classic Chill?

I get what you're saying, but you're suggesting whistling as you walk past the graveyard (so to speak) by ignoring that Chill even exists as a supplemental option for Cryptworld. The beauty of the Pacesetter system is that ALL of their games use the same system and can be mixed and matched.
sniderman

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:52 pm

DavetheLost wrote:Chill? I logged on today and noticed that several questions were answered by saying "see old Chill material, after all it is fully compatible with CryptWorld".

I am sorry but this is amateurish at best. It makes me think that the Pacesetter line (especially Cryptworld) will not be fully and properly supported. Why should we have to track down long out of print supplements for a different game by a different company to play Cryptworld?

Would Labyrinth Lord players be refered to Dungeons and Dragons books? Or Mutant Future questions be answered by saying "it's in Gamma World 3e"?

Is this even a thing? (pun intended)

I've been wrapped up with work and other things recently so haven't been able to post here as much lately, so I was unaware if this was happening a lot. Could you cite some examples? I think CRYPTWORLD holds up fine on its own. The only area where I think you might benefit from tracking down some CHILL stuff is the modules, for the time being (since it is early yet and I haven't published any), and if you really really want some material about how to play monsters as PCs rather than make it up yourself. The only "gap" in CW so far is that it doesn't explicitly support monster PCs (but then neither did the CHILL core rules), which doesn't trouble me at all since CW isn't about playing monsters anyway.

EDIT TO ADD: Since monsters are built similarly to PCs anyway (same abilities, etc) should be a breeze to handle it on the fly anyway.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby DavetheLost » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Probably mostly a me posting before the coffee kicked in.

I like that all the Pacesetter games work so smoothly together, and that it is such a nice system.

I will be putting my money where my mouth is and adding some skills I have found to be "missing" and such. Skills like something to cover stage magic and illusions for example. It doesn't quite fit any of the current skills.

I will be using Cryptworld for a Halloween Special at the library.
DavetheLost

Postby Blood axe » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:39 pm

I understand where DavetheLost is coming from. GG should take it as a compliment. People want GG supplements & support for their spin on the game, not old stuff that's been out. The old stuff is nice to fall back on, but some can be difficult to find. Id like to see a scenario book for CryptWorld, RotWorld,etc, from Goblinoid Games, even though there is stuff from other companies out there. DavetheLost & other fans want Goblinoid Games products!!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Return to CRYPTWORLD