Converting GW creatures to MF?

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Converting GW creatures to MF?

Postby smarttman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Say I wanted to run some Gamma World adventures in mutant future, mostly from 4e to earlier (I'm pretty interested in the Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Epsilon/Omega series from 3rd). How easy would it be to convert from any of these systems to MF? I know 1e/2e are very similar to each other and MF is based on those, so it should not be too bad. But what about 3rd and 4th?
smarttman

Re: Converting GW creatures to MF?

Postby shart2069 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:49 am

The 4th Edition (1992) is sort of mechanically related to AD&D 2nd Edition. It has character classes. It is the first place TSR ever had an ascending AC system (reversing the usual old-school way). It has a skill system. That said it probably would not be too hard to find equivalent creatures from earlier editions to use the stats.

The 3rd Edition from the mid-1980s is the one that was my first Gamma World. It uses the "Action Table" that TSR was so fond of at the time (also used in Marvel Super Heroes and I believe their Indiana Jones game). I never actually played them, but I remember reading through all the modules and it was an awesome mega-quest, even if the characters might not realize it. (There is even an unofficial fan module "GW 11: Omega Project" floating around the internet that wraps up the storyline.) I'd have to look to refresh my memory to see what the stat blocks and such looked like and how they might be compared to other editions (I now have 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th(? - the 3rd party d20 version) editions as well as Mutant Future).

(OK I see you mentioned Omega module - but you forgot Delta module. I was just counting and saw 5 titles.)
BLOG: https://almostoldschool.wordpress.com/

http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-Valley-Labyrinth-Looters/

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Postby Malcadon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:12 am

With Mutations, try this list. That should make your job a little easier.

I have been meaning to update that page for more conversions notes, like CharGen, GW monsters, artifacts, etc.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Blood axe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:21 am

Malcadon wrote:With Mutations, try this list. That should make your job a little easier.

I have been meaning to update that page for more conversions notes, like CharGen, GW monsters, artifacts, etc.

Sweet list Malcadon! :!:
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby smarttman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:16 am

You may wanna update that list considering it's missing some stuff like Hands of Power and so on. That's what I've been looking at lately actually haha. But like I said, I'm mostly just wanting to run GW adventures in MF and I need them sweet monster stats. Looking at them, you can pretty safely ignore all mentions of monster attributes and things like that.
smarttman

Postby Malcadon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:34 pm

Oh, I almost forgot. Here are some more GW stuff buried in that wiki:

The Mutant Animals above where from my conversion notes -- the animal related ones I completed. I have been trying to make a complete compendium of GW monsters (and hopefully with a better name then The Mutant Manual -- there is another GM document with that title). It would not just have the iconic mutants for rulebooks and modules, but also the much overlooked ones for the first edition book (the ones form the random encounter lists) and the mutants from first edition Metamorphosis Alpha (although, a number them appeared in 2nd ed GM).

Bonus:

Gamma World Robots

BIGOON
No. Enc.: 1d6
Movement: 120' (40')
Armor Class: 6
Hit Dice: 15
Attacks: 3 (2 claws, 1 Bite)
Damage: 1d6/1d6/4d6
Save: L8
Morale: 7

One glance easily identifies a Bigoon as a giant, mutated raccoon. The creature is well over 6 feet tall (old males being known to reach 9 or more feet in length, nose to toil). The Bigoon’s teeth are very much enlarged, and it bites for 4d6 of damage. The creature also has heightened strength to complement its native intelligence and cunning. Despite its increased size and strength, the Bigoon has lost none of the manipulative dexterity of its small progenitor. The hand-sized forepaws of a Bigoon are quite nimble and can be used to open simple closures and latches.

The Bigoon is a nocturnal hunter and has infravisual capabilities. When hungry, a Bigoon attacks virtually anything, but the creature is prone to ignore other creatures if well fed, unless its curiosity is aroused. A well-fed Bigoon has been known to playfully knock down a passing human in order to tear open a carried sack. Fortunately, a blow from a Bigoon’s forepaw does only 1d6 of damage. A lone Bigoon is usually a rogue male. If three or more are encountered, they are likely to be a mother and her immature young.

Bigoons are all capable of climbing trees sturdy enough to hold their weight.
Malcadon

Postby smarttman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:38 pm

I always thought you could easily replace alignment with Cryptic Alliances. You could even merge the two concepts by having CAs that conform to one alignment. For appropriate playable factions for PCs, I'd put Brotherhood of Thought and Followers of the Voice as lawful, Seekers and Radioactivists as chaotic, and Healers and Restorationists as neutral. Most of the other CAs are too evil or screwed up for most groups
smarttman

Postby smarttman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:46 am

Trying to see what I can figure out by comparing creatures between 2e and 3e

Armor in 3e is basically (10 - 2e armor)

Mutations are generally stable

There are a lot of movement changes, which don't make much sense. For example, in 2e the Brutorz can move 18 meters in a round. In 3e, it can move 32, nearly double.
HD usually stay the same with some weird exceptions (Yexil has 12 HD in 2e, 20 in 3e)

Morale is generally the max morale in 2e plus 3, though it's not always consistent

Attacks are the same, but I can't make heads or tails of the differences in damage. If anyone is more familiar with 3e damage, feel free to extrapolate

Edit: Found something good because I'm dumb. I had an old pdf detailing some Dragon articles about GW and one of them is converting 1e/2e to 3e. Just reverse the rules and viola! Here is the basic summary

Morale: Divide 3e morale by 3 to get average 2e morale
HD: No real change
Armor: Add 10 to the 3e AC
Speed: Divide by 4, multiply by 3 to get Action Turn move for 2e
Attacks: Multiply by 4 to determine max damage in 2e. Not precise, but good enough
Last edited by smarttman on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
smarttman

Postby Malcadon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:13 am

When I did the conversions, they were taken from first and second edition Gamma World — I do not have access to third, plus its a messy system. Mutant Future, for the most part, is based on the second edition rules.

As for Alignment, I never use it — not for D&D, nor for Mutant Future. Gamma World never used, nor need an Alignment system, and it is just wasted space in the Mutant Future book. The best use I find for the "Alignment:" entry on the PC sheets is to note a character's Affiliation ("Cryptic Alliance" for Gamma World, or "Religion" for Mutant Future). I like to use the term "Affiliation" because the Cryptic Alliances in Gamma World are a mixed bag of secret conclaves, highly vocal political movements, mystery cults, covert terrorist cells, overt paramilitary organizations held by a core ideology, etc.
Malcadon

Return to Mutant Future