A change of scenery and some new blood...

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Re: A change of scenery and some new blood...

Postby badams30 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:30 am

Flamstred waits for a reply from the gnome, and frowns when he doesn't answer, but he continues "As I was saying, I am prepared to offer each of you 1000 gold and 4 healing elixers for a guard mission. I have a cargo of 60 crates of swords. The crates are tarred and sealed, and I need to ensure there safe delivery to the Cantrev of Aithe, in Callidyrr, a kingdom in the Moonshae Isles. I need these to be delivered in whole into the hands of the local lord, Haember Cauldyth."

He stops, glancing across the room at each of you in turn. "What do you say, gentlemen?"
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:50 am

"Skills? Skills?" Badobus asks, irritation in his voice. "You mean to tell me you've never heard of Badobus Geargage! Illusionist and thie--er, world renowned entrepreneur? Did you people crawl out from under a rock?"

Assuming no one kills him, the gnome listens to Flamstred's offer. "Sixty crates of swords," he muses, scratching his chin. "Delivering a bunch of swords? Eh. Finding out why someone would want sixty crates of swords: now that's interesting."

Badobus pulls out a half-smoked cigar, lights it in the fireplace, then sits back down, his interest piqued. "Any of you ever been to the Moonshaes before?" he asks, after a few long puffs.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby Spanningtree » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:23 am

Nahin - Elf

Looking at the gnome: Always the gas bags... With a smirk. But you bring up an interesting point.

Looking over to Flamstred: Such a delivery is likely to be near or around an... engagement if you will. Are you providing the boat and crew?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:01 am

Flamstred smiles at Badobus' questions and bravado then turns to Nahin. "At the present time, no conflict exists. Yet." Looking across the lot of you, he says "if you know little of the Moonshaes, know this - the isles are the ancestral home of the Ffolk, and to the harsher climes, the Northmen. They've fought for years to varying degrees, and still do, but the past few years have been plagued by far more sinister creatures. Orcs, goblins and the like. These weapons are just going to bolster the armory of Haember."

Flamstred takes a long puff of his pipe and exhales, continuing: "A sturdy vessel and her reliable crew have been contracted for the voyage, you'll find them to be intimately familiar with the journey, and more than capable of transporting you to the isles. Should you accept, of course. As for conflict, there are those who would like to keep these from arriving to there destination, but I don't know of a credible threat at this time. This shipment has been handled via intermediaries and through multiple channels for secrecy. That is why I've sought talented and honorable men such as yourselves to protect this shipment."

He pulls out a scroll case and rolls out a lengthy sheet of parchment full of writing. He says "So gentlemen, how about it? Interested? If so, we have a standard contract to sign, you are free to peruse it."

The priest raises an eyebrow and glances at his companion, then he nods his head, and with a huge swig from his tankard (followed by a large belch) and he says with a smirk "A leisurely cruise? Scenic isles? Count us in. Assuming these gentlemen aren't adverse to our company."

Actions?
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:06 pm

Nahin - Elf

Nahin will lean over and whisper with Marcus:
I think we should take the mission. It'd be interesting and we might find more work near a conflict area that would norm for us. If your answer is yes I will be asking for half payment up front in the form of gems and two potions of enhanced healing for myself.
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Fri May 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Marcus listens to Nahin's counsel and nods.

Let us see this contract. If all looks good, Marcus will accept for the group, haggling for Nahin's terms to be extended to all Dutybound.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:25 am

Flamstred backs away, allowing you to see the contract. The priest of Tempus briefly glances at it, shrugs and returns to drinking ale.

Marcus, while you aren't a scholar of legalese, the contract appears to be a standard North Coast contract. Verbiage basically says that you will "...see all cargo safely into the hands of Lord Cauldyth of Aithe, or his successor in the lordship of Cantrev Aithe, to the best of your honor and abilities." You've heard of these sorts of contracts, they are usually given to merchant guilds or places where stolen cargo could be sold to prevent the unscrupulous with stealing the cargo and selling it for themselves. It appears pretty straightforward.

You politely request half the pay up front plus the extra healing potions, and Flamstred smiles and says "If you sign this contract, I'll pony up 500 gold in gems for each of your intrepid party prior to your departure. As for enhanced healing... I do not have access to such potions, but I can give you an extra 3 potions in total, for that is all I have."

Flamstred motions toward Badobus and says "What say you, gnome?"

As Badobus ponders his choice, the priest of Tempus rises from his seat and signs the contract. He then approaches Marcus, Nahin and Jayce and says "well met, looks like we'll be travelling together. I'm Holgrim, and that fellow over there is Howie, my porter." He leans in and says in a whisper "Howie's strong and brave, but he's a little slow sometimes. He's as honest and hardworking as they come, and strong as an ox. Don't know if you've ever been to the Isles before, but I've been there a couple of times, and they ain't too friendly to wizards or some priests. If you worship the Earthmother, you are in solid, but other faiths, they can get a bit testy. I've had to bust some heads on occasion on account of that, but I'm okay with it. You can count on me and Howie. We're okay." He smiles and then in an exaggerated gesture of a toast, he raises his tankard and chugs the whole thing in a big gulp. He belches loudly, then haltingly walks toward the table to get some food.

Actions?
badams30

Postby greyarea » Sat May 02, 2015 1:03 pm

Marcus smiles at Holgrim, nodding in an friendly manner. As the priest of Tempus walks away, he uses his paladinic ability to Detect Evil on him, Howie, and Flamstred.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Sat May 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Nahin - Elf

Hello, Holgrim and Howie, I am Nahin and this is Marcus. Pleasure to make you acquaintance. Nahin will wait to see what Marcus thinks about the contract.
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:05 pm

Holgrim pauses to shake Nahin's hand, and he nods at the rest of you in greeting, he gives a sideways glance at Badobus, and he sighs, then nods at him as well. The priest has a firm handshake, and smells like a brewery, but he appears from the outside to be holding his booze very well for someone who has drank as much as he has.

Marcus, none of the people in the room (including the odd gnome) detect as evil. However, Marcus needs no special abilities to detect that Holgrim is a bit fond of the sauce, and the gnome is a bit eccentric.
badams30

PreviousNext

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure