Settlement Generators

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Settlement Generators

Postby Wizardawn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:34 pm

This utility has been out for awhile now...but today I decided to straighten up the Random Settlement Generators. The one thing I realized, with the Ultimate Dungeon Creator, is that it works better to have the map generate at the very top of the output. When you print it straight to a printer, you have a less of a chance of the map getting cut off...depending on the size. Other times, you are just stuck with copying the image and putting it on a D size sheet of plotter paper because you really just wanted a huge city. Nothing wrong with a huge city, it just produces a bigger map...obviously.

There is an option now to name the settlement. This gets away from the "Hamlet" or "Village" being on the output. There is also a section to enter the Life Dice, which is your game systems dice used to determine one's life or health. A common die to use is 1d8 so that is set to default, but you can set it to other values like 2d4 or 3d6...maybe even 10d4.

The biggest change is the option to skip the citizen generation...but still produce stores. Some have asked for this and it was easy enough to do. By default, almost all of the houses will have someone living in it...so if you uncheck the Populate box, then it will skip that phase. This will keep your output very short, but it will then be up to you to determine who is in what house if the adventurers begin knocking on doors. The biggest reason for the Populate function was to allow one to make a more detailed city for when you want "city adventures". It takes one of the largest chores out of such work so if a thief breaks into a house...there may be someone home and you would know exactly who...what they look like...race...gender...possessions...etc. It is also supposed to start cultivating adventure hook ideas when you see that a vile human lives in a building by themselves. Maybe they are a serial killer or a spy plotting to kill someone.

So if you need a less detailed city, you are set to go. If you want the highly detailed city, you still have the ability to do that. You can click on the banner below and go to Fantasy or Apocalyptic section...depending on what genre you need a settlement for.

http://www.wizardawn.com
Last edited by Wizardawn on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wizardawn

Re: Settlement Generators

Postby Gilliadson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:44 pm

I love it! I used it to generate the starting town for my group though I had my cousin draw a new map for it by hand... The tavern looked like a tent or gazebo on the geomorph map. Wed have yet to name the town though.
Gilliadson

Postby Wizardawn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Gilliadson wrote:I love it! I used it to generate the starting town for my group though I had my cousin draw a new map for it by hand... The tavern looked like a tent or gazebo on the geomorph map. Wed have yet to name the town though.

If you didn't use the "map" part...what parts did you make use of? Also...because of the geomorphs...you can have a inn in a tent for example, it happens.
Wizardawn

Postby Gilliadson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:05 pm

I used all of the text part The building numbers occupants and shops.

http://minus.com/mlUJUKtV3/1f

Link to the Players version which has the map and the shops.

I actually had to take a picture of the map because my scanner quit working.
Gilliadson

Postby Wizardawn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:27 pm

That is pretty cool. I wonder how many others would benefit from a settlement generator that didn't do the map and just allowed you to choose an amount of buildings?
Wizardawn

Postby Gilliadson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks... I'm sure I'm not the only one..
Gilliadson

Return to Open Workshop