Recommended Reading

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

Recommended Reading

Postby doctortoc » Sun May 31, 2015 11:46 am

I was wondering if any Cryptworld fans have picked up any of the Dark Osprey Hunters Guide books? I got the hunters guides to Vampires, Werewolves and Zombies a few weeks ago, and think they'd make great source material for a Cryptworld campaign. They're very much in the vein of gaming sourcebooks, but statless, each presenting the topic in a pseudo-historical light that does a great job of merging fantasy and reality in a rather creepy way. They've also got some excellent illustrations which can be used for atmosphere. The same publisher has also done a great book on the Nazi Occult, written by Ken Hite, and he is apparently working on a new volume detailing the United States war against the Cthulhu Mythos.
doctortoc

Re: Recommended Reading

Postby seneschal » Sun May 31, 2015 7:44 pm

I haven't read the Osprey books. But for inspiration you can't go wrong with old time radio shows, many of which are available to listen to for free online. The Shadow, I Love A Mystery, Adventures by Morse, Lights Out, Suspense, Escape, Dark Fantasy, The Hermit's Cave, The Whistler, and many other other titles. For plots, NPCs, creepy locations and set pieces, tips for building suspense, a variety of opponents and monsters, gimmicks for eliminating victims, you just can't beat 'em.
seneschal

Return to CRYPTWORLD