How do you plan to use Realms of Crawling Chaos?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: How do you plan to use Realms of Crawling Chaos?

Postby beedo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:28 pm

I've been working on a "Weird Horror" inspired megadungeon setting I'm calling The Black City; I drew a lot of the early inspiration from "At the Mountains of Madness".

Most elements in RoCC will be put right to use there; I can see using both Sea-Blooded and Sub-Humans as PC races. Some of the nasty custom monsters will be able to use the psionics rules. Artifacts and Grimoires are automatic.

I have a few entries on the Black City over at my place: The Black City
beedo

Postby bmonroe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Playing it tonight! A pal of mine is converting over a Lovecraftian-style Pathfinder module. Everyone's totally stoked for the game!

I made up a by-the-book Elf for my PC. I'm planning on running him in a sort of dark, fay, mysterious Dreamlands sort of way. We'll see how he works out.
bmonroe

Postby bmonroe » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:55 am

Bisikoff wrote:Hey, that's me. :D I'm quite excited to be running it as well.

You realize if it goes well, I'm going to harass you to run more, right?

Bisikoff wrote:Bring extra sheets - it's Lovercaftian / Old School. Heh. :twisted:

I printed up 10 character booklets, used one for my guy and will bring the rest along. You think that'll be enough?
bmonroe

Postby Lord Pasty » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:15 am

bmonroe wrote:I've had this crazy idea for a campaign blending elements from Lovecraft, CA Smith, Lewis Carrol and Robert Chambers for quite a while now. This book will be perfect for it. However, I'm not sure I'll be using the RoCC-specific character races. I might stick with the LL/AEC core to start, and then begin blending in elements from RoCC as the campaign progresses.

I plan for it to be very odd, and gothic in tone. Sort of Ravenloft as envisioned by Tim Burton and Neil Gaiman.

+1 to this, it sounds crazy cool. I really want to do a similar thing (with a different system).
Lord Pasty

Postby kaomera » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:32 am

I have an idea to run a campaign where, about fifteen years ago, everyone fell asleep for a day and a night, and when they came to they had amnesia... There's enough written down that they have managed to piece most things together, but there seem to be some things that most were not willing to write down for some reason. Like anything particular about the big empire that was apparently oppressing the local area before "The Slumber" and the strange black fortresses (if that's actually what they are) that they left scattered around the countryside.

Some of the stuff from RCC should come in really handy...
kaomera

Postby Dyson Logos » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:36 pm

The forces of the Kale (the elves of my setting, who more resemble the Melniboneans than the traditional fantasy elves) have lost their hold on the world. However, in the war to usurp them, humans called upon the one thing the elves didn't have - gods. Not all these gods have been beneficial to have allowed into the world... the allies of man are now the greatest challenge to their new position as the leaders of the fallen empires.

In this setting, the cthonian evils are reminders that gods are as much a bane as a boon.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby John Adams » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:08 am

I loved Gothic Earth: Masque of the Red Death by TSR, so I think I might revise that. :)
John Adams

Postby csoles666 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:50 pm

I mainly plan to use the psionics, at least to make Mind Flayers work properly. I will likely also pilfer some of the races and monsters for occasional NPC use in my Labyrinth Lord campaign.

Anyone interested in how I statted the Mind Flayer using ROCC psionics (and a little help from Mutant Future as well) should download the pdf here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?v1oc9v2b228o7z7
csoles666

Postby Bisikoff » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:31 pm

bmonroe wrote:
Bisikoff wrote:Hey, that's me. :D I'm quite excited to be running it as well.

You realize if it goes well, I'm going to harass you to run more, right?

And you shall have it!

Well, had it.

Something odd had happened to my account here (my previous posts as well), but the above LL / RoCC game went well, although we still need to convene part ii.

Additionally, I just ran a game of LL / RoCC at Black Diamond Game's RPG Club night (last night): "Return to Saltmarsh". It was a fun, interesting time - the PCs were definitely not united, so there were some light PvP hijinx. In addition, they dealt with an evil M-U, a couple creep familiars (results from Initiate Familiar), Moon Things, Deep Ones, Harpies, and some other assortments.

Ben (BMonroe here) is encouraging me to write-up my notes and thoughts on my general campaign setting, having effectively run two different adventures in it.
Bisikoff

Previous

Return to Labyrinth Lord