Anyone use Magic in Mutant Future?

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Re: Anyone use Magic in Mutant Future?

Postby sniderman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Blood axe wrote:Ive seen the entire Thundarr series is on DVD now. Could be good for ideas for Mutant Future adventures.

There are four adventures in the Thundarr supplement based on episodes of the show. Off the top of my head, there are:

Attack of the Amazon Women
Stalker From the Stars
Den of the Sleeping Demon
Valley of the Man-Apes
sniderman

Postby Blood axe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:45 am

sniderman wrote:
Blood axe wrote:Ive seen the entire Thundarr series is on DVD now. Could be good for ideas for Mutant Future adventures.

There are four adventures in the Thundarr supplement based on episodes of the show. Off the top of my head, there are:

Attack of the Amazon Women
Stalker From the Stars
Den of the Sleeping Demon
Valley of the Man-Apes

Great stuff! Fear the mighty Gamma Hare !!

How cool is this for a MF game :

The year: 1994. From out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction! Man's civilization is cast in ruin!
Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn...
A strange new world rises from the old: a world of savagery, super science, and sorcery. But one man bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions Ookla the Mok and Princess Ariel, he pits his strength, his courage, and his fabulous Sunsword against the forces of evil.
He is Thundarr, the Barbarian!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:05 am

When I play GW/MF with magic, it plays out like a mix of Thundarr the Barbarian and DEN of Newerwhere (that buff, hairless naked dude from Heavy Metal the Movie). Without Magic-User levels, players can learn spells at any level, but their are risks. You can cast spells on your own, but you are weak. As a Sorcerer, you gain considerable power... But you serve a demonic master, with lots of demands -- mostly in blood! Beyond that, characters are ether self-learning dabblers, or they sever as an Apprentice to a powerful master, who would also make demands of you, but not as bloody (more or less).

Nearly all spell-casters have an obsession. A obsession grants 10 free SP to your pool, but your PC is bound by it. Sorcerers are obsessed with power, so they make pacts with demons, but their power is not their own. If their demonic master is unreleased, they are cut-off, if not dragged-off to Hell! Necromancers are obsessed with mortality, and how to control it. Witches are obsessed with controlling others and their own beauty. Witches can steal the youth and beauty from others. Seers are obsessed with knowing the future. Druids are obsessed with their own isolation (oh, and they are total nudists). Warders are obsessed with expelling demons and granting blessings. Warlocks are obsessed with their own might, and use magic like a weapon. I avoid using Clerics and spells that are too convenient (healing, direct damage, Know Alignment, and well, most spells found in D&D).

Basically, I grant characters Spell Points equal to 1d4 per INT (on average, 25). The SP cost to cast a spell is the Spell Level squared (1 = 1, 2 = 4, 3 = 9, 4 = 16, 5 = 25, 6 = 36, 7 = 49, 8 = 64, 9 = 81). Serving a demonic master can magnify your SP pool (x2 for a normal demon, and x3 for demon lords), as well as magic artifact, and engaging in rituals. Much of the rules have been adopted from the Mongoose Conan RPG.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby bighara » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:46 pm

bighara

Previous

Return to Mutant Future