Wandering Monsters and Treasure

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Wandering Monsters and Treasure

Postby BlackSimon » Sat May 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi!
I am not sure whether Wandering Monsters have treasure or not. If the Hoard Class of the appearing WM is lair size, I guess it is ignored for smaller groups of WMs? Or is the DM supposed to hide the treasure somewhere else in the Labyrinth spontaneously? If it is just a smaller Hoard Class (Treasure for individuals), is the WM supposed to carry this around?

Also I think I haven notices a small error in the Rulebook. In the example Morlock-Dungeon on pg. 128 it is written: "After referring to the Unprotected Treasure Table, and rolling for treasure on Labyrinth Level One, it is determined that 200 sp and 500 gp present." The unprotected treasure table says there can be a maximum of 1d4 x10 Gold coins on Lvl. 1, appearing with a chance of 50%. I can't see where they get the 500gp from?
BlackSimon

Re: Wandering Monsters and Treasure

Postby bighara » Sun May 10, 2015 1:31 pm

I suspect that you are right about the typo on the morlock loot.

For wandering monsters, look at page 62's description of Hoard Class:

"If the treasure quantity is fairly small, a monster may have this on its person, but usually treasure is kept in a secure location."

So GM discretion, then. :)
bighara

Postby BlackSimon » Wed May 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Ok but let's say my Heros are wasting some time in the Labyrinth until I succesfully roll for a WM and spawn it somewhere near the Heros. Am I supposed to roll for treasure for this new spawned enemy (that would not be in the Dungeon under normal circumstances)? If so, WM encounters could be a positive thing for the Heros, when they give opportunity for more loot, but I always thought that WMs are supposed to limit the players resources?
BlackSimon

Postby bighara » Thu May 21, 2015 1:33 pm

They do both!

It's a risk/resource management thing. WMs aren't a "gotcha", but they do use up resources (HP, time, etc.). XP is mostly from treasure, so a WM might be a combat with little to no treasure that gives not much back on your "investment." It's also possible that the random bugbears are carrying a pouch full of gems. Who knows?? :D

If you don't want to roll treasure for randomly generated WMs, then don't. You can also make a wandering encounter list tailored to your adventure that uses monsters of your choosing that fit the scenario (guard patrols, etc.). That way their loot can be factored into the placed treasure.
bighara

Return to Labyrinth Lord