DCC RPG "Funnel" for LL ?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: DCC RPG "Funnel" for LL ?

Postby Thoth Amon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:13 pm

The DCC funnel works for LL. My current campaign (6 months in, now) started with the funnel. I bought the DCC game book thinking it'd be cool. It sucked. The only redeeming point was the funnel, so I copied those pages and sold the book.

My players did not like using the funnel. They didn't like playing four characters each and didn't like the characters they had. As a DM, an unforseen issue which came up was that you might randomly start with a dwarf or an elf with attributes below the minimum for those classes. This happened to two of the dwarves which were rolled up. When they became first level I bumped up their CON to be the dwarf minimum according to LL.

After the characters died off, I decided that all new characters will start at 1st level. The players are much happier about it.

Perhaps your players will be different but for my campaign, it was a fun, but in the end, futile attempt.
Thoth Amon

Postby kipper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:21 pm

dawnrazor wrote:Wasn't there rules for 0-level characters in Unearthed Arcana? I also remember that the Cavalier class started as a squire at -2 level or something (haven't read UA in many years)...

Maybe those 0-level rules could be adapted to LL/AEC?

The rules for 0-level characters were in the Greyhawk hardcover I believe (it's been over well over 15 years since I read either Greyhawk or UA for me too, so I could be wrong...), and I had completely forgotten about what you said about the cavalier in UA, but now that you mention it, it does sound familiar.
kipper

Postby Blood axe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Hmmmm...maybe we can come up with some rules for a 0 level character. Start with a background occupation(peasant, farmer, servant, woodsman,etc.) , some appropraite skill & equipment. Possibly have a negative XP, until you choose a real class.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby xmanowarx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:26 am

i tried this with LL when DCC was in playtest...5 players with 4 characters each. i ran that dave bezio adventure with the kidnapped girl. it resulted in a very large, spectacular and fun TPK.

werewolves, man.
xmanowarx

Postby tumblingdice » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:07 am

While it doesn't make use of the funnel concept, module N4 - Treasure Hunt is designed for 0-level characters and includes rules and guidelines for tracking the character's progress and helping the player determine the most appropriate class and alignment based on his or her actions. These rules may be identical to those later listed in Greyhawk Adventures. I never had the latter title, so I can't be sure, but the former title includes a decent adventure to boot. :D
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby kipper » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:56 am

Blood axe wrote:Hmmmm...maybe we can come up with some rules for a 0 level character. Start with a background occupation(peasant, farmer, servant, woodsman,etc.) , some appropraite skill & equipment. Possibly have a negative XP, until you choose a real class.

I'd be up for that. Unfortunately I haven't enough time to take the reins, but I would certainly be interested in chipping in. Start a new thread BA :D!
kipper

Postby petespahn » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Blood axe wrote:Hmmmm...maybe we can come up with some rules for a 0 level character. Start with a background occupation(peasant, farmer, servant, woodsman,etc.) , some appropraite skill & equipment. Possibly have a negative XP, until you choose a real class.

I've kicked this idea around several times but never gotten around to it. LL hints at 0-level characters but never defines them (they appear on the saving throw chart I think).

A 0-level write up would be an awesome submission for the first issue of Brave the Labyrinth. Just saying...

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby tumblingdice » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:57 pm

kipper wrote:

I'd be up for that. Unfortunately I haven't enough time to take the reins, but I would certainly be interested in chipping in. Start a new thread BA :D!

I have the Treasure Hunt module in PDF. I'd be happy to take from it the rules and share them in such a way that doesn't violate any copyright laws. It talks about starting at -500 XP, limited weapon proficiencies, starting HP, etc.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby dawnrazor » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:47 am

kipper wrote:
dawnrazor wrote:Wasn't there rules for 0-level characters in Unearthed Arcana? I also remember that the Cavalier class started as a squire at -2 level or something (haven't read UA in many years)...

Maybe those 0-level rules could be adapted to LL/AEC?

The rules for 0-level characters were in the Greyhawk hardcover I believe (it's been over well over 15 years since I read either Greyhawk or UA for me too, so I could be wrong...), and I had completely forgotten about what you said about the cavalier in UA, but now that you mention it, it does sound familiar.

Hmm... I have the GH hardback somewhere. Will check... Thanks!
dawnrazor

Postby 3llense'g » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:41 am

There are saving throws and attack tables for 0-level humans in the core LL book. Give them 1d4 hp and 15 gp and you're done. Assume their stats are average (11) until they graduate to level 1, then let them modify their stats in the 2-for-1 method as in the book. I think this should be fast enough :)
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord