Rules changes to suit your world...

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Rules changes to suit your world...

Postby monk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:48 am

I've been running a Labyrinth Lord campaign since last May (PCs are at 5th level) and have been continuously creating the gameworld as I go along. My players are not much concerned with game mechanics, and love to be included in the creative process, so they don't mind me shifting rules around on them. For instance, I just went back to original standard d6 weapon damage about a month ago and the guys just said, "okay", and started modifying their character sheets. Part of their buy-in comes from the fact that their ideas for the feel and look of our gameworld frequently become canon, and our gameworld determines the rules, not vice-versa.

So I'm interested to see whether, and to what extent, other Lab Lords have modified the rules to reflect the reality of their gameworlds. Have you changed out the missile weapon system or clerical spell system to reflect the way your gameworld works? Allowed monster races as PCs? Etc.

Just to clarify, I don't want to create my own game. I love B/X and LL, with all my gamer heart. I suppose this type of thread begs the question, "How many house-rules does it take before you make a new game?". But my intention is to make small to medium-sized alterations that don't cause incompatiblity, but rather change the emphasis here and there.
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Re: Rules changes to suit your world...

Postby monk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:14 am

I'll go first, as I tend to be somewhat unclear in my writing and people might not understand what all the mumbo-jumbo above was supposed to mean.

I won't go into all the particulars of our gameworld (it's no Tekumel or anything), but suffice to say that their is some significant outer space alien and time traveling elements at play, and a different way of doing magic. Magic is rare but very powerful. The races that practiced it mostly died out because of it, and it's secrets lie in their lost tombs. To reflect this, magic-users start out as scholars, without any spells except for Read Magic, but with somewhat superior survival skills (HD and attacking). They are rogue scholars who Indiana Jones their way into lost tombs to discover the powerful magic. They collect scrolls and cast spells using a point system. Nothing terribly unique here, mind you, but definitely plays differently. Spells are sought out like magic items, and though they are more frequently without a spell to cast, magic-users get to drop some doozies every once in a while and are not as weak when they have to throw down in melee.

Anyway, there's an example of a mod. I'm working on stuff for magical and alien technologies.

monk

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:19 am

I've opted to disregard rules (such as Monks not being able to use their STR & DEX bonuses - as they level I then removed their bonuses as rules say), or not use rules such as the ones that are 'optional.' The flat out changes I've made are pretty minor, such as 'unarmored' (unmodified AC9) meaning naked, or shirt & pants, but a magic class wearing thick robes & cloaks equaling 'padded armor' (unmodified AC8).

I have, however, allowed players to play monster races (within reason - no dragon turtle players). Like you, I would create the campaign setting based on their choices and/or preferences. So when I had a player that wanted to play a Drow (in AD&D) - we did, and the adventures were built around that player NOT being on the surface much.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby austrodavicus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:19 am

Blimey, where to start? In my current campaign (a LL+AEC sword & sorcery flavoured setting with some sci-fantasy elements) some, but not all changes include:

- Elven spell casters use the Druid spell list and Cleric level progression/attack/saving throws
- In addition to the four standard classes we have Archer, Bounty Hunter and Scout
- Cleric weapon restrictions or lack thereof are determined by the god they worship
- Changes to the Turn Undead mechanic that includes just holding them at bay on a "weak" turn
- Magic-Users must cast spells as rituals to memorise them, and once memorised they remain until replaced
- Cast Magic-User spells "refreshed" after 4 hours sleep + half an hour per spell level
- Magic-Users can recast spent spells at a cost of 1 Constitution point per spell level, 0 Constitution = death
- Various other minor Magic-Users changes, including the Holmes scroll creation mechanic, spontaneous minor magic ability from spells memorised, etc.
- Various more major Magic-User changes involving casting checks, spell mishaps, counterspelling, and magical duels
- Thief skills are d12 based, not % and include a skill called "Appraise"
- Changes to encumbrance rules and movement rates
- Various combat changes involving two-weapon fighting, shields shall be splintered, missile fire into melee, etc.
- The rules for Psionics from the Carcosa supplement
- Some minor changes to ability bonuses/penalties

My players have handled all these changes very well, although I did produce a campaign player's guide for each of them, so I guess that helps. Even with all those changes we're still playing D&D as far as we're concerned. All the changes are fairly cosmetic and campaign based, with the vast majority of the rules being pure LL (D&D).
austrodavicus

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:21 am

Your game sounds cool. You should start one here so I can play in it! ;)
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:23 am

I have several minor rules changes:

Dwarves can use more weapons & get bonuses vs. Orcs,Goblins,etc.
Elves get a bonus with bows
Halflings get luck
Magic-users can get familairs & research spells/potions
Clerics spells reflect the Gods
Fighters can choose one weapon as their specialty

Some other minor stuff.....
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:28 am

monk & astrodavicus - bring your games here, they sound cool.
Last edited by connivingsumo on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

connivingsumo

Postby austrodavicus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:31 am

Thanks for the compliment connivingsumo, but I wouldn't have the confidence.
austrodavicus

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:42 am

austrodavicus wrote:Thanks for the compliment connivingsumo, but I wouldn't have the confidence.

:shock: :o

Just get cool players that aren't going to get all bent if something doesn't work out quite right. :)

connivingsumo

Postby monk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:25 am

austrodavicus wrote:Thanks for the compliment connivingsumo, but I wouldn't have the confidence.

+1 for me, haha. One of the big safety nets I have in my campaign is that the players have never played in a D&D campaign before this one. They'll call foul if the setting has a hole in it, but the mechanics and stuff they don't care about.

monk

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord