[Contest Entry] The Darkened Lighthouse

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

[Contest Entry] The Darkened Lighthouse

Postby Roger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Fresh off my win in the OPDC2012, which I wrote mainly as an LL dungeon anyway, I'm now tempted to try this contest out.

Initial idea is ye olde lighthouse tower. It's a nice size for something in the 12-room range. Easy to make stand-alone.

Is there an LL version of 'crabmen' or something similar somewhere? I could use some of those guys.

Map, etc etc, to follow. This'll be sort of a "watch me write it" thread.

Cheers,
Roger
Roger

Re: [Contest Entry] The Darkened Lighthouse

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:11 am

Looked over the monsters, seeing what I might want as a boss.

Noticed the harpy. Harpy in a lighthouse. Nothing like the old classics.

How have people been treating the note that "Harpies have an innate magic resistance"?
Roger

Postby The Lizard of Oz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:18 am

Roger wrote:How have people been treating the note that "Harpies have an innate magic resistance"?

I have played quite a bit of LL and read through the book numerous times and to be honest, I never noticed that. I even helped with the XP calcs but in my defense I did the bottom end of the alphabet. :D

Definitely a few ways to handle it. Could give them a HD x 5 = % resistance. Or even HD x 10. Or just give them charm resistance which would kinda fit. But I would just ignore it since they get a +2 to saves. Heck, the resistance could be represented by the +2 to saves and that sentence just got worded a bit funny.
No man is more dangerous than one convinced of his own moral superiority.
The Lizard of Oz

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:42 am

Yeah, all other things being equal, that very last option is sort of what I find myself defaulting to. Might not make much sense for non-magical poisons, for example, but there are worse sins.

Thanks!
Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Lost a bit of momentum on this, but hoping to get some of the cartography nailed down soon.
Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Belatedly, here's the work in progress:

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:15 pm

I'll officially withdraw my entry, just in case it wasn't obvious. But I'll probably get back around to this sooner or later.
Roger

Return to Open Workshop