Submit your suggestions for Oriental Monsters supplement

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Re: Submit your suggestions for Oriental Monsters supplement

Postby kipper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:14 am

Spirit Folk

Armour Class: 5 or by armour type
Hit Dice: See below
Move: 120' (40')
Attacks: 1 weapon
Damage: 1-8 or by weapon
No. Appearing: 1 (1)
Save As: Dwarf: 1-8
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: L, U, V
Alignment: Lawful

Spirit folk are fully detailed in the "Oriental Classes" supplement, and can also appear as NPCs. They may be of any level from 1 through 8. They do not have their own societies, instead they live with their human family clans. Low-level spirit folk may only have half or less of the rolled treasure, and high-level spirit folk will have treasure type "D" in addition. Magic items should be determined separately, by using the normal rules for NPCs. Most spirit folk are Lawful, but some 20% may be Neutral and 5% may be Chaotic.
Last edited by kipper on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
kipper

Postby kipper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:22 am

Hengeyokai

Armour Class: 5 or by armour type, or see below
Hit Dice: See below
Move: 120' (40') or see below
Attacks: See below
Damage: By weapon or see below
Save As: Elf: 1-9
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: L, U, V
Alignment: Chaotic or see below

Hengeyokai are fully detailed in the "Oriental Classes" supplement, and can also appear as NPCs. They may be of any level from 1 through 9, and their particular animal form may be chosen by the DM or rolled randomly. Some of their favoured spells are as follows (although they are by no means restricted to this spell list): (1st) sleep, ventriloquism; (2nd) ESP, invisibility, phantasmal force; (3rd) fireball, fly, lightning bolt; (4th) confusion, hallucinatory terrain; (5th) magic jar. Low-level hengeyokai may only have half or less of the rolled treasure, and high-level hengeyokai will have treasure type "I" in addition. Magic items should be determined separately, by using the normal rules for NPCs. Most hengeyokai are Chaotic, but some 20% may be Neutral and 5% may be Lawful.
kipper

Postby kipper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 am

Zenko

Armour Class: 4
Hit Dice: 9***
Move: 120' (40') or see below
Damage: See below, or by weapon
Save As: Cleric: 9
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: I, L
Alignment: Lawful

Zenko, also known as Inari's kitsune, are a special type of hengeyokai having the form of a white fox. They have all the special abilities of a shugenja (including gaining and casting shugenja spells instead of wu ren spells), but otherwise transform themselves using the same rules as hengeyokai.
kipper

Postby kipper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:40 am

Phew, I got through quite a few monsters the past couple of days! Any comments anyone may have are welcome :D.

I've had a lot of fun statting these guys up so far! There are still at least 20 or so more monsters I'd like to get to, but I have run out of free time to do so at such a rapid pace. My goal for the next few weeks will be to try to stat up one more monster per day until they are complete, so we'll see how that goes. When everything is completed I plan to put them all together on a nice free PDF (illustrated using public domain images), very similar to what I did with the Oriental Classes supplement.

I have already edited some of the monsters slightly (on my own computer) but I have not necessarily gone back and changed the posts above.
kipper

Postby kipper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Amanojaku

Armour Class: 6
Hit Dice: 2*
Move: 90' (30')
Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 1-6
No. Appearing: 1-2 (2-8)
Save As: Fighter: 2
Morale: 7
Treasure Type: U (C)
Alignment: Chaotic

Amanojaku are thought to be related to oni, resembling them somewhat but standing only 3 feet tall. They are invariably wicked and perverse. Their favourite tactic is to find a person's deepest desires (they may cast ESP at will), and then use this information to instigate their victim into doing evil acts before ultimately frustrating the victim's desire! Amanojaku have also been known to flay their victims (or animals) after death and then wear the skin to impersonate them. They are also able to mimic their victim's voice and only have a 1-in-20 chance of being detected.
kipper

Postby kipper » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 am

Amikiri

Armour Class: 7
Hit Dice: 1
Move: Fly: 90' (30')
Attacks: 2 claws/1 bite
Damage: 1-2/1-2/1-2
No. Appearing: 1-3 (1-3)
Save As: Fighter: 1
Morale: 6
Treasure Type: (L)

The Amikiri has a tapering worm-like body about 5 feet long, a beaked bird-like head, and two crab-like claws. Normally shy and mischievous, it especially enjoys cutting nets when no one is looking but it has also been known to sneak up on people and cut off their hair at the roots! It will typically flee at the first sign of danger. Any treasure indicated will only be found the in the creatures lair.
kipper

Postby kipper » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Hitotsume-kozo

Armour Class: 8
Hit Dice: 1/2 (1-4hp)
Move: 60' (20')
Attacks: see below
Damage: 0
No. Appearing: 1-2 (2-8)
Save As: Normal Man
Morale: 6
Treasure Type: P
Alignment: Neutral

Hitotsume-kozo appear as a bald young child aged 8-10 years old, usually wearing the robes of a monk-in-training, but with only one large eye in the centre of their face. They are not malicious, but enjoy surprising people. Anyone upon first seeing their single eye must save vs Spells or faint in fright (as if affected by the 1st-level wu jen spell sleep).
kipper

Postby kipper » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Aonyobo

Hit Dice: 2*
Move: 120' (40')
Damage: 1-3 + special
No. Appearing: 0 (1-12)
Save As: Fighter: 2
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: I

Aonyobo are the ghosts of old-fashioned court ladies, appearing much as they did in life (with blackened teeth and shaved eyebrows) but with a distinct bluish-green tint to their skin. They will only be found in the ruins of abandoned palaces, and enjoy consuming human flesh. Upon being bitten, their victim will be paralyzed for 2-8 turns unless a successful save vs Paralysis is made. Aonyobo have no feet, and are immune to poison and mind-affecting spells (such as sleep, charm, and hold spells).
kipper

Postby kipper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:09 am

Ikuchi

Armour Class: 5
Hit Dice: 6
Move: Swim: 150' (50')
Damage: 0
No. Appearing: 0 (1)
Save As: Fighter: 3
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: Nil

The ikuchi is an incredibly long ocean-dwelling eel coated with a slippery oil-like substance. Although its body is only about 6 inches in diameter it is rumoured to be at least 2-3 miles long, taking several hours to pass! It is strangely attracted to boats, and enjoys circling over them as it swims by, spilling oil down as it passes which can rapidly fill the boat and sink it. This build-up of oil is equivalent to 1 hull point of damage per round, but it can easily be repaired: 10 men working exclusively at bailing can repair 1 hull point per round. If the eel is attacked, it will constrict down upon the boat, causing 1-10 hull points of damage per round in addition! This damage is not so easily repaired (use normal rules for repairing hull damage).
kipper

Postby kipper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Bakekujira*

Hit Dice: 36**
Move: Swim: 180' (60')
Damage: 3-60
No. Appearing: 0 (1)
Save As: Fighter: 15
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: Nil

Bakekujira is a ghost, taking the form of a skeletal whale 60 feet long. It is accompanied by a flock of 'zombie' birds and a school of 'zombie' fish. It will ignore nearby boats or even outright non-magical attacks, but if attacked magically it will become fearlessly aggressive. If it rams a ship, it will do 6-36 hull points of damage. It can only be hit with magic weapons, and is immune to poison and mind-affecting spells (such as sleep, charm, and hold spells).
kipper

PreviousNext

Return to Open Workshop