Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

For discussion of other games.

Re: Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG

Postby finarvyn » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:17 am

By the way, for those folks who haven't been keeping up on the Goodman boards ... Joseph pushed back the release date for the core DCC RPG rulebook from November to February because he was concerned about rushing things and the potential for poor quality. He figured the extra time would help get it right.

So the game will come out in February and Goodman Games is presently working on several modules (I believe 8 all together) to be released at roughly the same time as the core rulebook. The plan would be to have some adventures ready so you can play right away!

I think that this is a cool thing, since a lot of the DCC RPG should be similar enough to Labyrinth Lord (as well as other "old school" games) to allow folks to blend bits and pieces from both together. (At least, in playtest I've found that DCC, C&C, LL, OD&D, AD&D and others all seem to be kind of compatible. Each has its differences, of course, but the basics should be close enough where you can mine them all for ideas!)

Anyway, just thought I'd bump the thread with an update.
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby Blood axe » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:54 am

I'm sure I'll get it. Probably as a gift to myself. Ive been good this year...well....I havent been caught. So thats almost the same thing. ;)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby finarvyn » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:27 am

The manuscript is basically done and is going through final proofreading right now. It looks great. The problem is that Joseph said that in order to hit a February release date the book would have to hit the printers right away, and since proofreading isn't quite done then final layout can't be done yet, either.

Looks like another delay in order to get it right. Joseph wants to get it right the first time rather than have typos and have to issue errata, if at all possible.

This thing is going to be great. I've seen a partial layout and the artwork is even better than the Beta versions. 8-)
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:01 am

How much of a delay? Any ideas?
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Its due in the USA if you pre-ordered in late April, early May. I pre-ordered. I have the free PDF, some really great art. This will be a HUGE book. 400+ pages.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:46 am

The beta rules looks interesting. Beyond the generic old-school stuff, I do like tho 0-level PC rules (even though I generally have PCs start at 3rd level, and the cannon-fodder at 1st-level), and I really like McLean-styled comic art.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Vargr1105 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 am

I have checked the beta rules and my opinion on DCC is mixed. I love the art and covers and like the features, but I think a lot of it is re-inventing the wheel with some very good "pimping", so to speak. For example, beginning the game with each player having a pool of 0-level cannon fodder can't really be called original and could easily be done with any variant of D&D. I think old TSR even published a couple of modules back in the day where the premise was exactly this.

The "funnier" dice use will be a big turn-off for a fair number of folks for obvious reasons. In my particular case, I would have to order them from overseas; and they ain't cheap according to what I've read. And don't tell me about computer dice generators. These are pen and paper games we're talking about here :)

I think this product would have much greater commercial appeal had it been designed as an add-on to "glue" on older D&D versions or their clones; similar to what AEC and OEC did for Labyrinth Lord. The fact that it isn't even compatible with them limits the game's potential even more. There's a ton of modules out there spanning 30+ years of creativity and none can be used off-the-cuff with DCC.
Vargr1105

Postby finarvyn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 pm

By the way, the game is on store shelves now. There are also quite a few modules in the works, both from Goodman Games and from 3rd Party Publishers.

Goodman has two modules out already and has a list of others coming out shortly. (I've looked at preview copies of 4-5 modules and all are pretty darned cool, in my opinion.)
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby Blood axe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:56 pm

I like it, but LL will stay my main game. I don't like the funny dice or the complete slaughter of low level characters.
Brave Halfling has a great Kickstarter for some Dcc adventures.
Blood axe

Postby Wizardawn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Blood axe wrote:I like it, but LL will stay my main game. I don't like the funny dice or the complete slaughter of low level characters.

I am in the same boat. I already have a fantasy role-playing game I like to play...and the dice change is annoying (almost like they are trying to get that same reaction TSR got back in the late 70's with their eerie, satanic, polyhedral dice). I also think, "how many fantasy role-playing games do people need? I have trouble finding time to play just one." The DCC is probably a fine product but I just seem to get clone/simulacrum whiplash from all of these D&D variants.
Wizardawn

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games