Oldschool dice?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Oldschool dice?

Postby Viking » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:53 pm

To really get into the oldschool spirit, I would like some sharpedged, plastic, nontransparent 70´s-style dice.
Are there any companys that make such dice?
Viking

Re: Oldschool dice?

Postby Adapt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Running: Arizona Territory 1873 (FATE Old West pbp), The Northwest Barony (Labyrinth Lord pbp)
Playing: Night's Dark Terror (Labyrinth Lord pbp)

ADAPT's RPG Blog
My RPGNow Store
Adapt

Postby tumblingdice » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Nice! If you're going to go '70s old-school, though, don't forget the tasty lead miniatures.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby Viking » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Those are nice, I might just get them. Though I would really like a D20 with only the numbers 0-9, so you´ll have to fill in one set of numbers with paint.
My first D20 had two sets of 0-9, but one set had the number undelined like this: 9... it was red, and I miss it!
Viking

Postby Scalydemon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:25 am

For some reason I thought these gamescience dice were super expensive, but $9 ain't bad

Let the red dawn surmise
What we shall do,
When this blue starlight dies
And all is through.

Publisher of AFS Magazine An old school gaming & pulp literature fanzine available in print only http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/
Scalydemon

Postby Blood axe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Cool dice. Real old school.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Viking » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:23 pm

$5 for the unpainted version - even the price is more oldschool!
In my last post I said that my first dice had one set of numbers undelined, but this is wrong.
It was a small + before the number, like this +9.
I still miss it though!
Viking

Postby finarvyn » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:18 pm

I bought some Gamescience dice like those years ago because I wanted soft plastic el cheapo dice but didn't want to expose my OD&D dice from the '70's to additional handling. I followed the pattern of my old TSR dice (yellow d4, orange d6, green d8, blue d12 and white d20) and use them as my go-to dice when I get in an "old school" mood. The colors don't quite match my originals, but they work fine!
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Postby barrataria » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 pm

finarvyn wrote:I bought some Gamescience dice like those years ago because I wanted soft plastic el cheapo dice but didn't want to expose my OD&D dice from the '70's to additional handling. I followed the pattern of my old TSR dice (yellow d4, orange d6, green d8, blue d12 and white d20) and use them as my go-to dice when I get in an "old school" mood. The colors don't quite match my originals, but they work fine!

NERD :lol:

Actually I managed a couple of sets of "traveling" dice, one from either my basic or expert set (or maybe combining the survivors of those) and one the mismatched dice my mom bought me at the same time because she didn't know there were dice in the Basic box :)
barrataria

Postby finarvyn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:15 am

These aren't my dice, but they look just like them. This is what my 1970's OD&D TSR dice looked like "back in the day" before companies figured out that customers wanted matched dice sets.

Those are soft plastic and the edges have a habit of rounding in a really bad way. I've been trying to find new high-impact dice to match these for a long time.

Chessex has some of them (d4 and d6) but the others they sell have white numbers instead of black. Somewhere I bought some new fangled green d8's with black numbers but I'll be darned if I can recall where I got them.... :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
Knight of Dangerous Quests, Labyrinth Lord Society, 2009
Author of the S&W White Box 2009
Old LL board member #007 (back in 2007)
Earl of Stone Creek / C&C Society Member since 2003
OD&D player since 1975
finarvyn

Next

Return to Open Discussion