getting gaming out of the game store

For discussion of the Labyrinth Lord Society, Society events, or anything else Society related.

getting gaming out of the game store

Postby oldgamergeek » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:18 pm

I posted this OD&D discussion board but wish to hear from other Labyrinth Lord Society members.
One of the big complaints I hear is Pen and Paper gaming is dying and there is probably a lot of truth to that, the reason I see is we need new players, I mean the never played a RPG before crowd.
To accomplish this there are things we have that now that years ago were just a dream such as free versions of games. When TARGA was a going concern I put together a CD - ROM of free versions of retro clone / Retro cousin games to hand out at game days, conventions and other places we played at. The next thing at least in my city is community centers these are great places to play and get lots of potential new gamers going in and out. About any event you can get a table to play at will do. I hope my ramblings inspire you and your group to "game outside the store". I have read a lot of lamenting about our hobby dying out (if it really is) my question is what are we willing to do about it? if anything. I hope this is not sounding to aggressive I don't mean to.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Re: getting gaming out of the game store

Postby connivingsumo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:19 am

I don't think it's too aggressive; you have a right to express yourself and your opinions - and I don't think you're being rude about it.

I'm not a member of any Society - at least I haven't signed up or paid any dues.

So, how would a fella go about "getting it out there"?
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Re: getting gaming out of the game store

Postby oldgamergeek » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:40 am

I have approached one of my cities community centers for game space and when I told them we did not charge anyone they were real receptive, another avenue I am working on is space at a community festival to run some demo games. I have not heard back from the organizers but will call them tomorrow.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Return to Labyrinth Lord Society