Alternative Elf Spell List (LL core only)

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Alternative Elf Spell List (LL core only)

Postby DM Ed » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:11 am

Hi all - further to Black Wyvern's post from June 2012 in which he compiled an alternate Elf class spell list, I have had a go at myself just using spells from the LL core book. I've made my choices based on what in my experience are underused spells at early levels and what I think felt elfy subjectively (ie - navigating/ making deals with primal forces rather than perverting reality).

I have played in and run quite a mostly games up to class level 5, so any input about choices past spell level 3 would be appreciated!

Lvl 1

Detect magic
Light
Purify food and drink
Hold portal
Speak with animals

Lvl 2

Find traps
Snake charm
Detect evil
Detect invisible
Invisibility
Knock
Locate object

Lvl 3

Resist fire
Continual light
Cure disease
Clairvoyance
Hold person
Phantasmal force
Neutralise poison
Speak to plants
Plant growth

Lvl 4

Remove curse
Detect lie
ESP
Levitate
Water breath
Contact other plane
Charm monster
Confusion
Polymorph self

Lvl 5

Commune
Cure critical wounds
Feeble mind
Hold monster
Teleport

After level 5, I was thinking of allowing limited progression in terms of spells only, eg control weather and irresistable dance might be possible. I was thinking these should only be a handful of rare spells that the widest of the elves know and (through bitter experience) rarely dare to use.
DM Ed

Re: Alternative Elf Spell List (LL core only)

Postby Black Wyvern » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:32 pm

Interesting. You may want to include Read Magic at 1st level as they will still need that. You could make it Read Elf Magic, to limit their access to Magic-User spells and vice versa.

Why no Charm Person? It seems the quintessential elf spell to me. Elven Enchantress and all that. Find Traps seems a bit odd to me as well.
Black Wyvern Press
Black Wyvern

Return to Labyrinth Lord