Making Magic-users more useful? Ideas.

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Re: Making Magic-users more useful? Ideas.

Postby petespahn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:31 am

Blood axe wrote:Another is cantrips or minor spells. In the pouring rain- the Mage stays magically dry. In the jungle & swamp- those annoying insects are repelled. A Wizard lighting a nearby candle with the sweep of his hand. A small ghostly image of the hunted dragon appearing in the Wizards hand. etc,etc. Minor things really. Things you read Wizards easily doing in fantasy books, but not used much in games. JUst makes the Magic-user seem more "magical" !

I've been thinking about writing up a list of cantrips for LL. My group uses them straight our of Unearthed Arcana for the most part. I allow 2 cantrips for every spell. So a 1st level magic-user can cast 1 1st level spell and 2 cantrips. As far as I know, cantrips have not yet made it to the OSR. If they have, please point me in the right direction.

Another mod I've used is the bonus spells for high Int (the same clerics get I think in 2e). Hasn't seemed to unbalance the game much and makes the mage more integral at lower levels.

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Previous

Return to Open Workshop