Part 3: Facing the Past

Sniderman's Cryptworld game

Moderator: sniderman

Re: Part 3: Facing the Past

Postby segeorge » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:11 pm

funfungiguy wrote:((OOC: Segeorge, it was Lucas and Magnus that went inside the house to question Mrs. Burke, and followed her down the stairs, not Jack. So Lucas didn't have to run past Aubrey to grab Mrs. Burke.))

Thanks -- sorry for th e mix up. :oops:
segeorge

Postby sniderman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:23 am

Seems there's a bit of confusion, but funfungiguy is correct.

In momentary panic due to the spirit's arrival and threatening gesture, Lucas grabs for Mrs. Burke's wrist.

[[SPECIFIC check versus Lucas' Wrestling skill. Results:
Wrestling skill: 90 - Rolled 76
Margin of Success = 24 on Skill Check Column 3 = MK Result (MODERATE SUCCESS + KNOCKDOWN) ]]

Lucas clutches Mrs. Burke's arm while pulling her close to himself in a protective stance. Mrs. Burke, caught off-guard, falls into Lucas. He holds her arm out, showing the dangling charm bracelet to the wraith.

"Your mother has never forgotten you Audrey! Don't do this; she's never given up hope of finding you!"

[[Hidden reaction roll...]]

Audrey's face scowls with rage when she sees her mother manhandled by Lucas. However, she doesn't attack...for now. Her arm remains "bladed" and drawn back threateningly. She stares intently at the charm bracelet...in recognition, perhaps?

Hal, Jack, and Webb charge the door. Hal shouts a warning into the phone, "Get out of there, you guys. You'll be slaughtered before we can save Audrey!" Since he's first on the porch, I'll rule that Hal throws open the door and runs in, with Jack and Webb following suit.

Magnus has his gun out, aimed at the spirit of revenge. "I don't think she'll harm her mother," Magnus surmises to Lucas. "And if she is stalled by the bracelet, we can run out the back. Mrs. Burke, I think we need to go... is there a back exit? Quickly!"

[[A new Fear roll for Mrs. Burke who is now facing her dead daughter while being grappled by Lucas. And rolling... And she makes it amazingly!]]

"Yes! The back door is through the kitchen in the back!" Mrs. Burke answers, steeling herself up to the scene unfolding in front of her. She turns her attention to the spirit who seems increasingly confused by the developing situation. "Audrey! Listen to these men! Your father and I never gave up hope! We never forgot you! We love you!"

Audrey's blades morphs back into an arm as she scans the faces staring at her. There is a pleading look on her face of great sadness.

From behind the spirit, Webb says, "We know where you're buried Audrey. Let us give you peace."

There is a moment of silence from the ghost, then Audrey tilts her head back and releases a wail of pent-up anger and anguish that chills you all. When she faces you again, her face is once again frozen in a rictus of unbridled hatred. "...NO...LIES, ALL LIES..." the ghost says as an accusation. "...UNTIL I REST, NO ONE RESTS...I COME THIS EVE TO PUNISH YOU ALL..." Audrey looks again at her mother, her scowl softens slightly, and her form becomes incorporeal until it fades from sight.

Lucas releases his grip on Mrs. Burke, who slumps to a seated position on the stairs. She looks at you all.

"Please," she begs. "Help my daughter. Her...soul...has been corrupted by hatred. Fear. Anger. Tell me what you'll do to give her peace."
sniderman

Postby funfungiguy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:32 am

Lucas tells the three that stayed outside all that happened inside the house and explains the type of flower and that Aubrey was especially fond of a place called University Falls. "I think we need to go there while we still have time."

"I'm sorry for grabbing you like that Mrs. Burke... I hope I didn't hurt you. I hope you understand I only did it trying to protect you,". Lucas says to Mrs. Burke, looking slightly ashamed.
funfungiguy

Postby segeorge » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:15 pm

Webb begins by addressing Mrs. Burke, but includes his comrades when sharing his ideas:
Baxter said he’d marked her grave with a “big gold rock” – or did he say, “big old rock” -- I may have misunderstood. The park rangers might have disturbed her grave – becoming her first victims. Mrs. Burke, as her mother, Audrey’s final resting place is up to you. But given her love of University Falls – which is where we believe she was buried -- that does seem like a fitting resting place. I’d say we need a much more permanent marker – planting forget-me-nots on the grave may be a good idea. Followed by a Remembrance Ceremony. Mrs Burke, do you think you could accompany us?

As an afterthought, he adds, Maybe we could arrange to have a plaque or other marker put up, and fence off the area, as well, to avoid this happening again.

(To Hal)
Professor, didn’t you say you had some notes on this type of ghost? Would that be likely to placate her?
segeorge

Postby greyarea » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:35 am

Hal replies, Yes, let me double check my notes, and then does just that.
greyarea

Postby merias » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:17 pm

With a sigh of relief, Magnus holsters his pistol and turns to Mrs. Burke. "Mrs. Burke, is there anything else you can think of that Audrey might have been attached to ... something we can bring with us? Something to remind her of her dog, perhaps?" he asks.
merias

Postby kmelion » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Jack
I will take a quick look around for a small shovel or trowel. Not looking any longer than a minute or so.
kmelion

Postby sniderman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:39 am

Lucas releases his grip on Mrs. Burke, who slumps to a seated position on the stairs. She looks at you all.

"Please," she begs. "Help my daughter. Her...soul...has been corrupted by hatred. Fear. Anger. Tell me what you'll do to give her peace."

Lucas quickly recaps what happened inside the house to Hal, Jack, and Webb. He then explains about Audrey's penchant for sketching Forget-Me-Nots, which is also the foral scent everyone detects whenever Audrey is near. "At Tillamook Park, there's a place called University Falls," Lucas says. "Audrey used to go there and sketch. That's gotta be the place. I think we need to go there while we still have time."

Hal smirks knowingly as he recalls his discovery on the map of Tillamook. "I think we've already found it," he confirms as he shows the map of the location already pinpointed on his phone.

Webb starts piecing earlier conversations together. "Baxter said he’d 'marked her bed with the big gold rock in the fall'. Perhaps the park rangers disturbed her unmarked grave, becoming her first victims?" He turns to Mrs. Burke. "As her mother, Audrey’s final resting place is up to you. But given her love of University Falls – which is where we believe she was buried -- that does seem like a fitting resting place. Maybe we could arrange to have a plaque or other marker put up, and fence off the area, as well, to avoid this happening again." Webb addresses Hal, asking, "Professor, didn’t you say you had some notes on this type of ghost? Would that be likely to placate her?"

[[SPECIFIC check versus Hal's Anthropology skill. Results:
Anthropology skill: 99 - Rolled 29 - Margin of Success: 70
Action Table results: 70 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 3 "Skill Checks" = CK result (CRITICAL SUCCESS) ]]

Hal shakes his head. "It's unlikely that would do it. No, according to the record, a wraith can only be stopped if a wrong is corrected. From what we've seen of her actions, her feeling of being lost and forgotten is the great 'wrong' to correct. We need to first and foremost find her so she's 'found.'" Hal scowls. "And once we find Audrey's body, we need to somehow show 'remembrance.' I'm certain that if we can reunite her with something of great sentimental value that shows she wasn't forgotten all those years..."

Magnus approaches Mrs. Burke. "Mrs. Burke, is there anything you can think of that Audrey might have been attached to ... something we can bring with us?"

Mrs. Burke idly touches the charm bracelet she's worn since the day of Audrey's disappearance, considering what she's heard and seen. She quickly unclasps it and hands it to Magnus. "Here, take this," Mrs. Burke says. "Maybe it will protect you and give her some peace as well."

"You've worn that all these years?" Hal asks as Mrs. Burke nods. He turns to the others. "If that's true, then it's a virtual talisman at this point, imbued with 40 years of a mother's love."

The five of you say your goodbyes to Mrs. Burke, who asks to be informed of what you find -- for good or bad. You instruct her to stay inside until she hears from you again -- preferably in Audrey's room in case that offers any protection from the vengeful wraith. As you approach the cars, you see that sundown is quickly approaching. Looks like it'll be a full moon tonight...of course.

"Guys, I think we'll need to stop somewhere and get a shovel or two," Jack says.

This round is about to end. Where you're heading next is somewhat apparent, but I'd like to know what (if any) prep you plan to do before heading there. Sun will be down in about 45 minutes. And Tillamook State Park is about 30 minutes away...
sniderman

Postby segeorge » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:44 am

"Guys, I think we'll need to stop somewhere and get a shovel or two," Jack says.

Fishing his keys from his pocket, Webb replies:
Maybe the Park Rangers can supply a few -- as well as some flashlights. On our way, someone should call Chief Perry. If he contacts the Park, I'm sure it will carry more weight than if we call direct.

To Hal, he adds:
So what's the best way to protect ourselves from Audrey while we're trying to put her spirit to rest?
segeorge

Postby greyarea » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:28 am

Hal thinks about Webb's question. The best way to protect ourselves... hmmm....
greyarea

PreviousNext

Return to Forget-Me-Not