Hand Weapon and Weapon Groups

For discussion of the Generic Old-school Roleplaying Engine.

Hand Weapon and Weapon Groups

Postby jonbobbly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 am

I'm trying to learn the GORE rules, but I'm having trouble understanding what was intended by the Hand Weapon skill or by the Weapon Groups.

From reading the Hand Weapon skill, it seems that each weapon has its own base skill. Then there is a column under the weapon table for the weapon group, is this meant as a speciallized skill for the weapon? (e.g. You would need the Hand Weapon (G) skill to weild the G-group weapons)

I'm very confused. I'm tempted to just throw out the Hand Weapon skill altogether and just use the base skill off the weapons. But then I see that some weapons have a base skill of only 1! Clearly I'm missing something.

Any help would be great.

Thank you,
jonbobbly
jonbobbly

Re: Hand Weapon and Weapon Groups

Postby jonbobbly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:29 am

Still thinking: maybe the base skill for a weapon is the minimum Hand Weapon skill needed to use the weapon? That doesn't quite seem to fit either...

hrmmm.
jonbobbly

Postby SMAY63 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 am

Hi jonbobly,
Suggestion: instead of having a separate skill for each class, there are just 2 skills:
Hand Weapon (all melee weapons): base: 10% & Ranged Weapon (bows, Crossbows, etc): base: 10%.

The above is a copy of the text I put in the GORE Fantasy section. Hope it helps.
I decided to do away with the weapon classes and just have the two stated above.

But check the other GORE data I admitted, you might find some of it useful.
:D
SMAY63

Postby belcrane » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:39 pm

I guess you can put a skill like a small wave in the weapon and try not to make it so OP.
belcrane

Return to GORE