An urban fantasy Mutant Future and LL/RC D&D mash up.

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

An urban fantasy Mutant Future and LL/RC D&D mash up.

Postby Agrippa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 am

So you've seen all of my "Mutant Future/LL hybrid" threads out there. So of course I'd like to homebrew a mash up of the two. Where Mutant Future and Gamma World focused on post-apocalyptic science fantasy and D&D/LL typically covers Iron Age to pseudo-medieval western fantasy this game favors a different type of fantasy setting. Urban fantasy along the lines of the Dresden Files mixed with Sin City, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. Take some cues from Final Fantasy and similar games/settings and throw in heavy doses of magitech. Add in the kind of jet-setting, world spanning adventure you get in The Venture Brothers or the boy adventure shows from the 60's it parodies.

I'll need some help organizing it into chapters. The main problem is figuring out the introduction and describing this game. After words it's on to character generation with ability scores, picking classes and the like. Then I'm going to handle levels, starting gold/other wealth, saving throws, hit points and other sundry topics, the basics really. When that that's done its time to deeper into how the system works including greater details on spells and other character abilities. Eventually it'll reach magitech, non-magical supertech, PC lairs and headquarters and of course monsters and running the game. I'll give you details, when I come up with them, and you can give input if you feel like it.

There likely won't be any of the standard fantasy race (elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, ect.) at first.

What I'd like to do with this project.
  • Re-jigger the cleric class if it's still used.
  • Use thief skills, THAC0, saving throws and Action Resolution Tables for task resolution as appropriate.
  • Use MF mutations for superpowers in general, including Ch Cullainn style geases.
  • Use modified MF artifact rules for magic items as well as high tech.
  • Try to convert hearthsone, manse and demense rules.
  • Adapt 3.5 psionics as an alternate form of magic.
  • Two experience progressions, one for your class and another for your total character level.
Last edited by Agrippa on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Re: An urban fantasy Mutant Future and LL/RC D&D mash up.

Postby Agrippa » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:06 am

I know I first posted this thread in November and forgot about it for a few months but I just had to re-write it. Hopefully I've explained enough of what I'm aiming to do so the good people of Goblinoid Games forums might be able to respond to this little project and we can start churning out some ideas. I'll also give you some details about game rules when asked or when I feel like it, which ever one comes first.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 am

I have some preliminary hit point rules that were partly inspired by d20s vitality and wounds option. Please be honest and tell me how they look.

Hit Points

Like in many similarly built games Heroes in Shining and Blood Caked Armor* measures physical resilence in hit points (hp). These hit points are equal to a quarter of the character's total Constitution score rounded up for every five character levels in either d6s or d8s. This is in addition to hit points from class levels. If a character's hit points are reduced to 0 or less he's unconscious until healed to at least 1 hit point and dies at his Constitution in negative hit points. Any character who has suffered enough damage to drop his or her hit points by at half or by his Constitution score, which ever is higher, from one attack is fatigued. This condition lasts until 8 hours of rest or until it's at least half healed. The same holds true for any character reduced to 1/4 normal hit points. Fatigued characters cannot run, charge or jump and suffer a -2 penalty to both Strength and Dexterity.

*It's a working title so a little help thinking up a better name is welcome.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:41 am

I'm also thinking about incorporating some form of both supernatural martial arts and mundane if spectacular martial arts in the rules. Not just for unarmed combat but also for melee weapons, archery and firearms. Besides, "martial arts" is just a Western term meaning war like skill.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:08 am

This is of homebrew I started on that I think could fit with my higher powered Mutant Future/BECMI D&D project. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, nor are all of them finished, but I would like them to be compatible with the end result of this mash up, what ever we call it. As I mentioned before, this will be urban fantasy with an emphasis on fantasy.

Solar Exalted in Mutant Future
Abyssal Exalted in Mutant Future
Infernal Exalted in Mutant Future
Terrestrial Exalted in Mutant Future
Slayer bloodline
Converting 3.5's psionics to LL/RC as sorcery.
Just a Few Spells More
The Powers of Shadow, Labyrinth and Void.
(New class) The brawler, a non-mystical martial artist.
New class. The ruffian or urban fighter.
New magic-user spell slot rules

I don't expect to use all of these rules or additions I made on Goblinoid Games forums, but I would like to use some of them. I might need some help modifying or expanding them first.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 am

This a table I came up with for my intended RPG mash up. It's meant solely for character level as opposed to class level, which is measured seperately. This of course is largely taken from Goblinoid Games' own Mutant Future.

Code: Select all
Level|Experience needed|Benefit*               |Bonus Hit Dice
1    |0                |none                   |(Con x1/4)d6 or d8
2    |3,000            |+1 to one ability score|""
3    |6,000            |+1 to one ability score|""
4    |12,000           |+1 to one ability score|""
5    |24,000           |+1 to one ability score|""
6    |48,000           |+2 to melee damage     |(Con x1/2)d6 or d8
7    |96,000           |Extra attack           |""
8    |192,000          |+1 to one ability score|""
9    |492,000          |+1 to one ability score|""
10   |892,000          |+1 to one ability score|""
11   |1,292,000        |+1 to one ability score|(Con x3/4)d6 or d8
12   |1,692,000        |+2 to melee damage     |""
13   |2,092,000        |Extra attack           |""
14   |2,492,000        |+1 to one ability score|""
15   |2,892,000        |+1 to one ability score|""
16   |3,292,000        |+1 to one ability score|Con d6 or d8
17   |3,692,000        |+1 to one ability score|""
18   |4,092,000        |+2 to melee damage     |""
19   |4,492,000        |Extra attack           |""
20   |4,892,000        |+1 to one ability score|""

*Or roll on the percentile table from Mutant Future. I just find my way more convenient.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 am

My mash up's rules so far.
1. Thief skills gain a +5% bonus per point of Dexterity bonus. I think that's a very common house rule here anyway.
2. Backstab, set spear vs. charge and lance attack scale with class level at a rate of +1 to damage multiplier per four levels after 1st.
3. While any character may attempt to backstab, set a spear against a charge or perform a lance attack, unless you actually possess the class ability needed, you only inflict 1.5 times normal base damage.
4. If a character attacks with a weapon that he or she is non-proficient with, that same character takes a -4 penalty to hit.
5. Multiclassing is allowed. However, to multiclass you must first reach 2nd or 3rd level in your current class. Then you must undergo a training period of two weeks per 250 experience (rounded up) to achieve 1st level in your new class. Afterword when you gain levels in this new class you use either it's THAC0, hit dice or saving throw progression, or your old class's, which ever is better for the time. Redundant class features use the higher progression of the two as well. You may advance in either class freely when you reach the 3rd level of your second class. In effect this is more like a combination of AD&D dual and multiclassing rules
6. Hit dice for all classes except magic-user rise one step. Thief rises to d6 (for an extra 50 experience), cleric, halfling, mystic and elf to d8 and both fighter and dwarf to d10.
7. PCs, significant NPCs and some monsters (read spidergoats) can take up to their constitution in negative hit points before dying. The redundant organs mutation multiplies this number by one plus its mutation modifier.
8. After 9th level the experience goals of all classes are doubled. This means that priest types need 200,000 per additional level, fighter and thief types need 240,000 per level and magic user like classes require 300,000 per level after 9th.
9. I also treat the three BECMI alignments differently than others. First the Lawful alignment places civil order, group effort and often times conformity above the the wants, needs and desires of the individual. It would correspond well with either one of AD&D's Lawful alignments. It's opposite Chaos proclaims the individual's right to take what he wants from others with little or no consequence. The AD&D alignments it would synch up with best are Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil and Neutral Evil. And finally Neutrality, which aims to balance out the extremes of both. Whether this is through kindness mixed with individualism, simple benevolence or morally ambiguous heroism. The Neutral alignment is best reflected in the True Neutral, Neutral Good and Chaotic Good alignments.
10. I'm using Dyson Logos' Mutant Score rules.
11. Player classes advance as normal (1,250, ect. for thief for example) but total character level (the amount needed for extra attacks per round, melee damage bonus and ability score increases) is roughly the same as in core Mutant Future rules. This means that you can have a character with a higher class level then character level.
12. Class level, not character level, determines saving throws and THAC0.
13. Saving throws vs energy attacks use the old vs spells values, saving throw vs death is the same, vs stun attack progression is equal to the old save vs paralysis and petrifaction save (I prefer petrifaction to turn to stone) and radiation saves are made with the old breath weapons value. These differ among classes as in LL/BECMI.
14. "A good old one-two knock-out punch." When making an attack in melee a character or monster may follow through with another attack at a -3 penalty. However this off-hand attack comes into play only if the first strike hits.
15. "Two halves of a single weapon. Don't think of them as separate, because they're not. They're just two different parts of the same whole." Any character with at least a 13 to Dexterity can attack with two weapons in one attack. When doing this the attacker makes two to-hit rolls and choses the lower of the two, inflicting damage equal to both weapons if he hits. He instead uses the average of the to attack rolls at Dexterity 16 and makes only one hit roll at a Dexterity of 18+. This is the default weapon style for the hook sword.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:12 am

There's also a noticable difference between my setting in progress and most other urban fantasy is a lack of a masquerade. People in general know that magic exists, monsters are real and that they can be beaten, if they're not on our side. The heroes range from capable but inexperienced mortals with unusual skills, living legends like Sin City's Marv and Kill Bill's Bride to superheroic levels. Hey, if it's good enough for Cu Chulainn, Gilgamesh and Heracles, it should be good enough for high level warriors.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 am

Reposting from Dragonsfoot forums.

This isn't much but I have a few new addition to this project.

First I'd like to include 5th edition's/"D&D Next's" playtest advantage and disadvantage rules. If you would otherwise get +1 or +2 bonus to any d20 die roll, instead roll 2d20 and take the better result. If circumstance would otherwise inflict a -1 or -2 penalty to your character's actions roll 2d20 and take the worse of the two. If you get more than a +2 or -2 bonus or penalty subtratct two from that bonus or penalty and add the difference to which ever d20 roll you use. The same principle can be applied to d100 rolls, just multiply the pertinent bonuses or penalties by five. This can be used for attack rolls, saving throws and even ability checks.

Second I have this PDF I made of some very basic rules covering ability scores, level progression and a bit on mutations. It's not much, but its a start.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Tue May 28, 2013 3:25 am

I have a few more ideas for this Mutant Future/BEC (Basic, Expert and Companion) hybrid project that I'll list.
  1. Martial arts are common in this setting. Just note that martial arts doesn't just mean Eastern-style unarmed combat. It also extends to Eastern and Western weapon based combat styles. Guns are included. Supernatural martial arts also exist. They can allow the practitioner to pull lightning from the skies and hurl as a javelin or ignite himself or his weapons with fire without harm to himself or his arms. Even performing exorcisms and banishments or slowing the warrior's foes to a crawl. People with those kinds of skills tend to be hired by real magi as body guards and hitmen. Some are even cops.
  2. Wizard/sorcerer grade magic is an open secret. People know it exists, but would rather not talk about it. Kind of like the Mafia from the '20's to '50's. There are some famous exceptions though. Simple charms and weak rituals are more common however. See the show Supernatural for ideas.
  3. Magic and technology don't cancel each other out. Unless one or the other is expressly used for that purpose. You can even combine the two. Demon slaying guns and bullets, yay!!! Also you shouldn't be surprised that demons and fae have magical guns. You should be very worried though.
  4. The maximum level for any class is 24, as opposed to BECMI's 36 plus Immortal rules. That seems fair to me.
  5. All classes are capable of minor ritual magic with enough focus. Seriously people, watch Supernatural.
Agrippa

Return to Open Workshop