Got "The Adventures of Flash Gordon" 1979

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Got "The Adventures of Flash Gordon" 1979

Postby shart2069 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:23 pm

Wow this is a cartoon I had mostly forgotten about (except for Ming's yellow robot-men).

Just watched the opening sequence of the 2 discs and a couple minutes of an episode on each one to make sure they worked.

I think that version of Mongo is sufficiently weird to be discussed here in the MF forum!

I also finally sprang for the "Thundarr the Barbarian" set and watched the opening sequence 4 times, one for each disc... man I seriously felt like I was 11 years old in front of the TV on a Saturday morning!

Next up, have to test my Thundercats and He-Man DVDs too :)

Will have to schedule my own programing block of watching one episode from each cartoon in the same day.

Wonder if my brain will still do the cross-pollination of ideas like it did when it was still only half-formed.

Lotta switching discs in my future I guess.

(Now if only Blackstar could get reissued; available sets too pricey for my blood for only 13 episodes of a show I barely remember. I think Dreamworks Classics picked up the rights when they got most of the rest of the Filmation back-catalog last year.)
BLOG: https://almostoldschool.wordpress.com/

http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-Valley-Labyrinth-Looters/

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Re: Got "The Adventures of Flash Gordon" 1979

Postby Malcadon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 am

I was watching the TV movie of the series on YouTube (scroll down to the bottom), and it was awesome! (It was a pool quality VCR recording from 30-years ago, but it was still watchable, if you have no other source.) It is much better then the big live-action movie. Hell, even the adult-parody Flesh Gorden was much better then that movie! I have to say, I was surprised that this was from the otherwise soft-spoken moral finger-wagers of Filmation (Fat Albert, He-man and Bravestar), but then again, they also did Star Trek TAS. That TV movie is fairly violent and vary sexy. People die, but its done in a way where they disappear (it by ray-gun) or it happens off camera. Ming maintains a large and high-diverse harem, Prince Thun (leader of the Lion-men) talks about loving-making with Lion-women, and all the women are drawn sexy! Shame you don't see that more in western animated shows/movies.

So yeah, I too highly recommend watching the series. I did not know there are DVDs for it, so I will check them out.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby shart2069 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:47 am

The DVD set I got is of the 14 episode show from 1979-1980. (DVD set from Mill Creek Entertainment.)

It does NOT include the feature-length animated movie they also made though, which is what I think you are referencing.

But STILL! I got it for $2.73 from eBay since I had some eBay Bucks from XMas shopping last month.

There are more copies out there for under $10 US.

PS: My day keeps getting better ! My ISP just increased my bandwidth from 1 MBPS to 3 MBPS today, totally without notice!

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Postby bighara » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 pm

haha! I thought you meant

:)
bighara

Postby sniderman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:41 pm

bighara wrote:haha! I thought you meant

:)

Say what you will about the movie...but Queen did the soundtrack so it gets an immediate thumbs up.
sniderman

Postby gentleman john » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:30 pm

And it has Brian Blessed in it. You can't go wrong there.
gentleman john

Postby shart2069 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:49 pm

The thing with the 1980 live-action Flash Gordon movie is: don't take it so seriously.

It's not a work of serious art (despite everything being designed by Italian fashion-designers who thought they WERE making art).

What it is, is a great way to fill a couple hours if it's on TV and nothing else is on. It's a visual and musical experience, not an intellectual exercise. Lotsa chases & deathtraps & explosions - and Max von Sydow as Ming!

(It's on my list of DVDs to get eventually - way WAY down the list! Then again "Time Bandits" is on that list too... actually probably quite a few places above "Flash Gordon.")

I'll give further impressions of the cartoon after I've watched it. (I still think Mongo could work with MF...)

shart2069

Postby bighara » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:04 pm

I never said I didn't think FLASH! AH-AHHHH!! was fun! It's just mildy ridiculous in a fun popcorn flick kinda way.

I did like the scene with the tree stump and the scorpion-thingy manhood ritual. :twisted:
bighara

Postby sniderman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 pm

bighara wrote:I did like the scene with the tree stump and the scorpion-thingy manhood ritual. :twisted:

I thought that was messed up as a kid.

"Prove you're a man by jamming your hand in this stump with nasty-deadly-poison thing. <BITE> And now you gotta shoot the poor bastard?!? And I thought puberty was a pain..."
sniderman

Postby bighara » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 pm

sniderman wrote:
bighara wrote:I did like the scene with the tree stump and the scorpion-thingy manhood ritual. :twisted:

I thought that was messed up as a kid.

"Prove you're a man by jamming your hand in this stump with nasty-deadly-poison thing. <BITE> And now you gotta shoot the poor bastard?!? And I thought puberty was a pain..."

I'm not saying it's good parenting, just bada$$. :D
bighara

Next

Return to Mutant Future