I need some help naming and staffing my academy.

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

I need some help naming and staffing my academy.

Postby Agrippa » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:26 pm

You know that I've been working on an adventurer's school or academy for some time. Until I lost my internet connection for a few weeks and had to get a new modem. So here I am, working on this project again. I'd like to ask for help in naming this school, and maybe even filling out the faculty roster. Here are the names I have so far.

1. Graystone Academy
  2. Hawkwind Expeditionary and Occult Studies Institute
  3. Dragonmaw Isle Univesity
  4. The Burrwood Institute
  5. Emerald Hill College

Do any of these names sound good to you, or do you have better ones?

I'm also thinking about giving each professor some alternates in case of emergency or scheduling conflict. Does any of this seem reasonable, or am I going overboard with this adventurer academy project? I'm asking this because this is about as far as I ever got with world-building before.
Agrippa

Re: I need some help naming and staffing my academy.

Postby seneschal » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:22 pm

I like the more subtle names like Burrwood Institute. Sounds professional, doesn't take up too much space on a letterhead or in recruitment materials, and doesn't rub what the school actually teaches in your face. A small, respectable four-year college that could be located anywhere without attracting undue attention. After all, what goes on at the academy stays in the academy. You don't want irate parents, protestors, academic and business rivals, witchfinders, actual dragons with hungry maws, the police, or members of Congress becoming interested in the place. "No, no trouble here, officer. At least nothing campus security can't handle. Thanks anyway."

Browsing your other thread, I think you've done enough brainstorming on the staff, too. You only have to come up with personalities as the player-character students actually encounter them in class or in the course of a particular adventure. It is enough to know the names of the college chancellor and/or the dean over the department the PCs are studying with, and their specific instructors. Throw in an occasional chance encounter with the crazy martial arts master in the cafeteria or at the water fountain, just for laughs. The PCs keep accidentally bumping into this guy and getting on his wrong side, but he's always too busy to give them the thrashing he thinks they deserve. Until they wind up in his class, that is.
seneschal

Postby Agrippa » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:00 am

So the Burrwood Institute it is. As for the martial arts, not all martial arts are unarmed. You have unarmed, melee weapon-based, archery-based, thrown weapon-based and firearms-based martial arts, both mundane and supernatural in nature. One of the instructors is modeled off of The Stern Whip of Industry, who's much more likely to give a comforting and encouraging speech about honor and duty than give you a thrashing.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:06 pm

I should mention that the professors of the Burrwood Institute are both the founding teachers of their courses and some of the setting's more publicly acclaimed heroes and or philanthropists. There's no popular support for calling out a hit squad against any of them or sending in troops. Burrwood Institute has the support, tacit or otherwise, of it's neighboring or surrounding government. Yeah, most witchsmellers won't be happy, they should learn to deal with it. ;)
Agrippa

Return to Open Discussion